A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Absolutely - thanks for these postings + the gossip. And what better way to get to Wembley than via a Cafeteria Car Excursion. 

JH3691.jpg

A cafeteria car journey must have been decent. And all for under £100 return (in today's money) Can't imagine the state of it afterwards though.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

:wub:

As @HibeeJibee has taken a sabattical, I'm trying to fill the gap. His programmes, and commentary, are much more interesting than mine, though.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Have we checked the hospitals for him?

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Best get on to @welshbairn...

He's been spotted at the fitba recently, so either taking a break or an enforced sabbatical due to his blazer duties seems likely.

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

Absolutely - thanks for these postings + the gossip. And what better way to get to Wembley than via a Cafeteria Car Excursion. 

I wonder how popular that would have been with the clientele. I suppose a bar would have been drunk dry before the train crossed the border.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

JH3691.jpg

A cafeteria car journey must have been decent. And all for under £100 return (in today's money) Can't imagine the state of it afterwards though.

5 weeks wages back then? Although I've read about Wembley clubs where members paid in for 2 years, so maybe not too onerous to get it gathered up.

Some more on London Caledonian FC, the amateur team for Scots in London, founded in 1886 and a famous non league side until the middle 1920s, after which they went into decline, and didn't re-emerge after WW2.

Their ground was on Caledonian Park in Holloway, North London- there's still a public park and sports facilities there but I think the site of their actual league ground has long since had houses on it.

London Caley made it as far as the Isthmian League which they won a few times. The Isthmian is now step 7 on the English Pyramid (below Conference South), but back then it was a much stronger league than it is today.

Here's some pics: a reprint of their early history from the 20s; a cigarette card; header of a team line against top Essex side Ilford (one of the ancestor clubs of the present Dagenham & Redbridge); match action from a home tie in 1894 (!!) against Luton Town, when the Caley were on the wrong end of a 1-4 gubbing. The predecessors of P&B no doubt scribing furiously in quill pen by gaslight at the full time whistle, advising the selection committee to get themselves to f**k after such an embarrassing defeat.

A shame Caley couldn't find a way to keep going; strictly amateur and even then difficult to compete against well resourced semi pro teams paying good money. Only Corinthian Casuals who have an equally exotic history are survivors of that long lost era of amateur football, playing still in the Isthmian League which they helped to found..

london-caly-4.jpg.3c8dfe408ec3013ab5f198e7f5c2a6a8.jpg91ThjWP3U2L.thumb.jpg.a8e3aa5c270df5e0ebaada15e309bf37.jpg

PHOTO-2020-05-17-22-08-14-1-750x350.jpg

Penny-Illustrated-29th-September-1894.jpg

43 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Some more on London Caledonian FC, the amateur team for Scots in London, founded in 1886 and a famous non league side until the middle 1920s, after which they went into decline, and didn't re-emerge after WW2.

Their ground was on Caledonian Park in Holloway, North London- there's still a public park and sports facilities there but I think the site of their actual league ground has long since had houses on it.

London Caley made it as far as the Isthmian League which they won a few times. The Isthmian is now step 7 on the English Pyramid (below Conference South), but back then it was a much stronger league than it is today.

Here's some pics: a reprint of their early history from the 20s; a cigarette card; header of a team line against top Essex side Ilford (one of the ancestor clubs of the present Dagenham & Redbridge); match action from a home tie in 1894 (!!) against Luton Town, when the Caley were on the wrong end of a 1-4 gubbing. The predecessors of P&B no doubt scribing furiously in quill pen by gaslight at the full time whistle, advising the selection committee to get themselves to f**k after such an embarrassing defeat.

A shame Caley couldn't find a way to keep going; strictly amateur and even then difficult to compete against well resourced semi pro teams paying good money. Only Corinthian Casuals who have an equally exotic history are survivors of that long lost era of amateur football, playing still in the Isthmian League which they helped to found..

london-caly-4.jpg.3c8dfe408ec3013ab5f198e7f5c2a6a8.jpg91ThjWP3U2L.thumb.jpg.a8e3aa5c270df5e0ebaada15e309bf37.jpg

Just managed to order a copy of the London Caledonian history at £9.95 from a seller via Amazon. 

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

5 weeks wages back then? Although I've read about Wembley clubs where members paid in for 2 years, so maybe not too onerous to get it gathered up.

And every two years there would be a newspaper report about poor sods standing at the meeting point waiting on the no show bus or train that never came.

Usually followed up by a court case a few months later on Willie or Jimmy who effed off with the funds.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

And every two years there would be a newspaper report about poor sods standing at the meeting point waiting on the no show bus or train that never came.

Usually followed up by a court case a few months later on Willie or Jimmy who effed off with the funds.

It certainly happened, I can remember reading newspaper reports about those sort of shenanigans, bit like Christmas Club money vanishing.

8 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Excellent

10 hours ago, Steve Finan said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f62a47237d7e88ba5f00984da2fef4f3.jpeg

Celtic supporters in Milan for the 1970 European Cup Final.

The scarf being held up below the "Viva Celtic" flag looks unusual.

I mind posting these just over a year ago:

scarves.thumb.jpg.edb067882c722c8e73d62fc26b50d18a.jpg

Polyester or Terylene efforts, worn in the 'sixties and early 'seventies, often manufactured by tie making companies.

Dundee Violet team group from 80 years ago, including David Symon, brother of Scot; a post-war cup-tie at Glenesk Park versus Glenafton Athletic (look at the crowd!!!); Glenesk more recently, with a much more contemporary crowd (around 60 committee, family and last of the diehards) when Glenafton won 2-0 there in 2016.

I have a real soft spot for Violet. I sued to watch them a bit when I lived in Dundee; Glenesk, bar the covered enclosure, was then an overgrown ruin covered in foxgloves and debris. It's tidied up quite a bit since. At the end of the 2000s it was like Day of the Triffids standing on the old grassbanks there.

Dundee back then had a crowd of around 50-100 or so old guys who would go wherever there was a decent game on without necessarily supporting any one club. It's astonishing to look back at these huge crowds now.

violet.thumb.jpg.c229445a0ad55e139dbc6a055161a353.jpgDundeeViolet1.jpg.0fdd94a3c94b884e9b32f0a8e3a0df16.jpg

lochee_glenesk.jpg

AM-JKLVKsdqrd_9A7WIASBYpB-9LqyiVuo9BGDG0QJcgS3vX-AYwVsAQeGSSN5AGEuWuGcnyzke3mqWkNVfpvoS2g0zJ9d9f1QOqelcgSBXrTMnh8lVjItG14iiMoTJuhv9dED2Ky2eePPkGigP0AZLVsqmqUg=w1792-h1120-no.jpg

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

post-war cup-tie at Glenesk Park versus Glenafton Athletic (look at the crowd!!!);

Photo caption has that as Harp v Glenafton Athletic. Guess it was moved from Beechwood Park to accommodate a larger crowd.

20 hours ago, Steve Finan said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f62a47237d7e88ba5f00984da2fef4f3.jpeg

Celtic supporters in Milan for the 1970 European Cup Final.

The scarf being held up below the "Viva Celtic" flag looks unusual.

Joe Harper,Arthur Graham, Steve Murray and Derek "Cup-Tie" McKay probably in there somewhere.

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I mind posting these just over a year ago:

scarves.thumb.jpg.edb067882c722c8e73d62fc26b50d18a.jpg

Polyester or Terylene efforts, worn in the 'sixties and early 'seventies, often manufactured by tie making companies.

Believe more than one company will happily make these retro style for you at reasonable cost.

Guest Wieghortsnut
12 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Dundee Violet team group from 80 years ago, including David Symon, brother of Scot; a post-war cup-tie at Glenesk Park versus Glenafton Athletic (look at the crowd!!!); Glenesk more recently, with a much more contemporary crowd (around 60 committee, family and last of the diehards) when Glenafton won 2-0 there in 2016.

I have a real soft spot for Violet. I sued to watch them a bit when I lived in Dundee; Glenesk, bar the covered enclosure, was then an overgrown ruin covered in foxgloves and debris. It's tidied up quite a bit since. At the end of the 2000s it was like Day of the Triffids standing on the old grassbanks there.

Dundee back then had a crowd of around 50-100 or so old guys who would go wherever there was a decent game on without necessarily supporting any one club. It's astonishing to look back at these huge crowds now.

violet.thumb.jpg.c229445a0ad55e139dbc6a055161a353.jpgDundeeViolet1.jpg.0fdd94a3c94b884e9b32f0a8e3a0df16.jpg

lochee_glenesk.jpg

AM-JKLVKsdqrd_9A7WIASBYpB-9LqyiVuo9BGDG0QJcgS3vX-AYwVsAQeGSSN5AGEuWuGcnyzke3mqWkNVfpvoS2g0zJ9d9f1QOqelcgSBXrTMnh8lVjItG14iiMoTJuhv9dED2Ky2eePPkGigP0AZLVsqmqUg=w1792-h1120-no.jpg

White horse was a scary boozer, especially when you were from Whitfield and not exactly welcome

And I know the keeper in the bottom pic, really good keeper 

Edited by Wieghortsnut