A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

clydebank.jpg.dc10dd7376ec275ec0b6ab67f65f7c45.jpg

The last season Clydebank played in the top division. They nearly stayed up too, an unlikely Falkirk win at Parkhead doomed them.

Despite having suffered from watching various dull Meadowbank v Clydebank matches (either 0-0 or Ken Eadie would pop in a winner) in my time I feel Clydebank get airbrushed out of history sometimes. This was a part time club who played in the Premier Division twice and a well respected First Division club for many seasons. It was just the last few seasons that were a bit sad. 

I mind in season 99/00 Clydebank got pumped almost every week towards the end of the season. This was when the owners had announced plans to move the club to Dublin, much to the disgust of the fanbase. As a result, fans stopped turning up and began cheering opposition goals. I believe they were groundsharing with Morton that season.

I recall us smashing them 6-0 at East End in 2000. Not long after, or before, St Mirren beat them 8-0. Unsurprisingly, Clydebank were relegated.

Think the Bankies actually did pretty well the next season in the second division. I believe it was the season after they fucked it and went bust.

Not sure where in the pyramid the phoenix club Clydebank are now.

I remember being at Station Park and they had a fan protest, burning flags and running on the pitch a few times.  It was extremely sad.

Some of our support were not happy with them, I was thinking goin yerself lads. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

clydebank.jpg.dc10dd7376ec275ec0b6ab67f65f7c45.jpg

The last season Clydebank played in the top division. They nearly stayed up too, an unlikely Falkirk win at Parkhead doomed them.

Despite having suffered from watching various dull Meadowbank v Clydebank matches (either 0-0 or Ken Eadie would pop in a winner) in my time I feel Clydebank get airbrushed out of history sometimes. This was a part time club who played in the Premier Division twice and a well respected First Division club for many seasons. It was just the last few seasons that were a bit sad. 

Used to enjoy Kilbowie, even though the Rovers took a few beatings there.

A pint in the Bankies club, after paying the 20 pence admission to the guy on the door, then an inevitable bollicking for opening the curtains to look at the pitch, so you could see who was warming up and work out who was in the team - long before social media pinged the team lines to your phone.

And if the game was poor, you had the choice of watching trains, planes and automobiles going past.

Typically, Rovers were the only team to lose to Clydebank during 99/00.

In the first game at Cappielow (1-1 I think), the Bankies fans were on the grassy mound behind the goal at Cappielow, before they put the big advertising boards up, and asked us not to pay to go in, so as to starve the owner of money. We stood alongside them all game and the banter was great - not one bit of bother.

The game was pish, but the bonus ball was you could nip into the Norseman for a pint at half time.

On 30/03/2022 at 23:45, Flybhoy said:

The majestic Billy Stark enjoying an Indian Summer in his career with a three year spell at Celtic, arrived  in the summer of 1987 to the bemusement of most but was a pivotal figure in the centenary season double, chipping in with countless goals, including a winner against the *** in his first game against them for Celtic (the day Souness tried to amputate his left foot when his boot had come off) and a late winner at Hibs in a Scottish Cup quarter final replay at Easter Road. 

Although not blessed with blistering pace he had a gliding motion about the way he moved, his off the ball runs were superb and a real feature of his play, a player hastily written off by an Aberdeen side in transition in the post Fergie era.

A player signed for what now and even then was a ridiculous fee of £70,000. A travesty that he never received a Scotland cap.

Stark-2.jpg

I'd just like to add that his actual Indian summer happened at Rugby Park between 1990 & 94 😛 (although photographic evidence of this period appears to be at a premium)...

scottish-soccer-billy-stark-kilmarnock-G

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I mind in season 99/00 Clydebank got pumped almost every week towards the end of the season. This was when the owners had announced plans to move the club to Dublin, much to the disgust of the fanbase. As a result, fans stopped turning up and began cheering opposition goals. I believe they were groundsharing with Morton that season.

I recall us smashing them 6-0 at East End in 2000. Not long after, or before, St Mirren beat them 8-0. Unsurprisingly, Clydebank were relegated.

Think the Bankies actually did pretty well the next season in the second division. I believe it was the season after they fucked it and went bust.

They only won 1 league that season, at home to Raith. Only a fortnight after we beat them 8-0 at SMP we drew 0-0 at Cappielow. This was the game Saints wore Morton's change shirt.

Screenshot_20220501-144756_Chrome.jpg

On 01/05/2022 at 01:38, DA Baracus said:

IThink the Bankies actually did pretty well the next season in the second division. I believe it was the season after they fucked it and went bust.

They didn't go bust. The men behind Airdrie Utd's failed attempt to join the SFL bought Clydebank's "assets" from the administrators and moved the club to Airdrie.

Edited by Arch Stanton

After they left Kilbowie I saw the Bankies at Boghead. There were two versions of the programme on sale- an "official" one and the fans' one telling the truth. Clydebank were battling with the Franchise for promotion to the Championship and the Bankies fans feared the move to Dublin would be more likely should the club go up. Mixed feelings for me though- I supported the Bankies' fans protest but didn't want the Franchise to do well. Anyway Clydebank scored to dead silence and then Queen of the South got an equaliser to everyone in the ground celebrating, including the "home" fans. 

The last time I saw the original club was at Berwick. They had a 40 something Henry Smith in goal, Darren Jackson in midfield and also Billy McKinlay who had been playing for Blackburn Rovers the year before. It was odd.  

17 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

They didn't go bust. The men behind Airdrie Utd's failed attempt to join the SLF bought Clydebank's "assets" from the administrators and moved the club to Airdrie.

Aye, Jake Burns was having none of it.

On 01/05/2022 at 01:38, DA Baracus said:

The demise of Clydebank remains a shameful episode for Scottish senior football.  Myself and a colleague from the Sons Supporters Trust tried to offer some assistance towards the end and that included a meeting in the Arlington Bar in Glasgow's Charing Cross with one David Low who was adviser to the offshore owner John Hall.  It remains one of the most distasteful experiences of my football life.

Although Clydebank were our local rivals quite a few Sons fans would turn up to watch games at Kilbowie and I well remember the two visits of Chelsea in the 1960's.  The Steedmans were controversial owners - shafting the Shire was never good PR - but to their credit they always put football teams on the park, with Denis Ruddy thrown in for a bit of balance.....Davie Cooper's torturing of Alex Miller over a twice-replayed League Cup tie in the late 70's remains a great memory, never mind getting him his transfer to Ibrox.

I'm delighted the club continues to represent the area and more power to the folks who sustained them thro grim times.

19 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

They didn't go bust. The men behind Airdrie Utd's failed attempt to join the SLF bought Clydebank's "assets" from the administrators and moved the club to Airdrie.

Well, to be fair , gotta getaway from Clydebank isn’t an unreasonable attitude.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The demise of Clydebank remains a shameful episode for Scottish senior football.  Myself and a colleague from the Sons Supporters Trust tried to offer some assistance towards the end and that included a meeting in the Arlington Bar in Glasgow's Charing Cross with one David Low who was adviser to the offshore owner John Hall.  It remains one of the most distasteful experiences of my football life.

The same guy who was involved in the McCann takeover of Celtic? Pretty sure he owns the Arlington now as well.

On 01/05/2022 at 01:57, SlipperyP said:

I remember being at Station Park and they had a fan protest, burning flags and running on the pitch a few times.  It was extremely sad.

Some of our support were not happy with them, I was thinking goin yerself lads. 

Not long after the Bankies had a match at Ochilview where David Brown, a Clydebank supporter, handcuffed himself to the goalposts during the match. There used to be a photograph of the incident on the web which I'm disappointed I can't find presently.

(EDIT to add grainy image)

Eventually, with players, officials, stewards and police exasperated not knowing how the resolve the problem, David's pals produced a hacksaw: they didn't want to entirely disrupt the game, simply make a point on the plans to relocate to Dublin. 

Credit too to Livingston fans who put pressure on their own club to resist an attempt by the unscrupulous Clydebank board of John Hall, Sandy Moffat and Colm McCarthy to sell Clydebank's end of season promotion place into the second tier to Livingston. As I recall, the parcel of Bankie rougues also tried to hawk their promotion place to Partick Thistle, who had been relegated from the league above, and then Clyde, who had ended third bottom of Division Two (then the third tier in Scotland).

1139582253_1998DBCFCOchilview2.png.a01058a9d62181158e701016ab7a29d4.png

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

Happier times for Cowdenbeath, who, having been relegated from Division One the previous season, were making a determined bid for a quick return, and at this stage of the season sat top of the Second Division, two points ahead of St Mirren, who had two games in hand, though. Cowden won 6-0, which got them back on track after dropping 3 points in their previous two games.

Ultimately, Cowdenbeath finished fifth, four points off the promoted pair, Dumbarton and Arbroath. 2-1 and 2-0 defeats to them (Sons away, Red Lichties at home), made the difference. Small margins.

Image 2 - Cowdenbeath HOME programmes 1970's 1980's