A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Third Lanark v St Mirren programmes from season 1961/62, Dundee's championship winning season. Thirds won 5-2, in front of 7,311 spectators.

Image 1 - Third Lanark v St Mirren football programme 1961 Image 3 - Third Lanark v St Mirren football programme 1961 The previous season Thirds had finished third in the table, from which heights they tumbled to oblivion 6 years later, the defeat from St Mirren George Young refers to in his notes was a quite astonishing 8-0 defeat at Cathkin in a Scottish Cup replay.

Image 4 - Third Lanark v St Mirren football programme 1961 Hilley, went to Newcastle United, Harley, went to Manchester City, Gray who also ended up at Manchester City and Goodfellow, who went to Leicester City, up front for Thirds, John McCormack, played for the Dons and Crystal Palace at centre half, Jocky Robertson in goals, legendary Hearts fan, apparently.

Tottie Beck for St Mirren, Don Kerrigan, man of many clubs including Aberdeen, swapped for Tommy White of Hearts (bad move by the Dons imo), George McClean at wing half?, ex Don Jim Clunie at centre half and John "Cockles" Wilson at full back.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

That was a modicum of revenge for the 8-0 cup defeat from the previous season. However, I have to say if you play with a 5' 5" keeper you will concede goals!

An Alex Harley hat-trick and a double from Eddie Gray had Thirds 5-0 up after 54 minutes.

Kerrigan and Campbell scored late on to make the score slightly less of a rout.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

That was a modicum of revenge for the 8-0 cup defeat from the previous season. However, I have to say if you play with a 5' 5" keeper you will concede goals!

An Alex Harley hat-trick and a double from Eddie Gray* had Thirds 5-0 up after 54 minutes.

Kerrigan and Campbell scored late on to make the score slightly less of a rout.

* Eddie must have been a real child prodigy, as he would have been only 13 at the time...

The nail polish must have distracted you, somewhat...

Maybe a Matt finish might have been better.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Only going by this...

image.png.f9c606424294506ebfd417f0ddb5fa29.png

Don't think that's right. Don't know if there are any Thirds afficionados on the board to confirm if it's Matt or Eddie, fairly sure it's Matt.

Eddie Gray played for Third Lanark much earlier, in the mid 'fifties, on loan from Hibs. Matt was at Cathkin for around 6 seasons, scoring more than a goal every second game, before transferring to Manchester City in 1963.

He was reported to be the record transfer Scot at that point, at £30,001, one pound being added to beat the fee of Thirds teammate Dave Hilley who had left Cathkin for Newcastle.

193963971_MattGray3rdLanFC.thumb.jpg.cbb8d91479da8af415bce3cf0a3caf4f.jpg

Matt Gray

9 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

On display at Kelvingrove, photo by Eric Watt of Scotland fans on Buchanan St, heading to the 1974 game vs. Them.

2-0 Scotland.
Jordan, Todd OG.
Att 94,487.

Oh to have been at Hampden that day...

f3a41825878c04dd408800db31634c9f.jpg

You'd have thought Rod Stewart could have afforded a ticket instead of having to busk

16 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

On display at Kelvingrove, photo by Eric Watt of Scotland fans on Buchanan St, heading to the 1974 game vs. Them.

2-0 Scotland.
Jordan, Todd OG.
Att 94,487.

I was there and we murdered them that day. Shilton had about half a dozen stops. Bit puzzled by the sunshine though, just watched the highlights as I remember it being a damp drizzly day.

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I was there and we murdered them that day. Shilton had about half a dozen stops. Bit puzzled by the sunshine though, just watched the highlights as I remember it being a damp drizzly day.

I was born 1 month later (arrived in this world victorious) and watch this game a lot on youtube.  It looks like it was raining in the second half.

Yes, Shilton kept the score down, but England did miss two sitters.

Great wee video, which always gives me a smile.  The crowd looks amasing, even a guy on top of the stand with a saltire.  The Scottish fans singing, you'll never walk alone & wee Jimmy Johnstone giving the fingers to the press box at the end.

16 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I was born 1 month later (arrived in this world victorious) and watch this game a lot on youtube.  It looks like it was raining in the second half.

Yes, Shilton kept the score down, but England did miss two sitters.

Great wee video, which always gives me a smile.  The crowd looks amasing, even a guy on top of the stand with a saltire.  The Scottish fans singing, you'll never walk alone & wee Jimmy Johnstone giving the fingers to the press box at the end.

What's always stuck out for me about the 1974 game, when you look at some of the crowd scenes in the video, is that the attendance was seemingly 42951 fewer than the crowd at the 1970 game.

Were they really cramming them in so hard that the place still looks packed with 40 odd thousand fewer heads there? I presume the smaller crowd was as aresult of the reduced capacity following the Ibrox disaster, but it doesn't look any less full.

21 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

2-0 Scotland.
Jordan, Todd OG.
Att 94,487.

37 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

What's always stuck out for me about the 1974 game, when you look at some of the crowd scenes in the video, is that the attendance was seemingly 42951 fewer than the crowd at the 1970 game.

Were they really cramming them in so hard that the place still looks packed with 40 odd thousand fewer heads there? I presume the smaller crowd was as aresult of the reduced capacity following the Ibrox disaster, but it doesn't look any less full.

100, 000 + attendances were common place back then

See the source image

Willie Wallace scores in the 1967 Scottish Cup Final. 126, 102 present of whom I was one.

See the source image

Derek McKay scores in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final. 108, 434 present, of whom I was one.

See the source image

Happy ending!

1976 League Cup Final, and the crowd is down to under 70,000. 69,707 (and I was there, too).

See the source image

Drybrough Cup Final, 1971, at Pittodrie. 25,00 present (seems a very round figure), I was there.

See the source image

King Joey Harper scores the winner. Dave Robb opened the scoring, memory playing tricks on me.

See the source image

The aftermath.

See the source image

Summer Cup Final, 1964. I don't know what the attendance was, but I was there.

See the source image

See the source image

Ernie Winchester scores for the Dons

Aberdeen-FC-1964-09-02-Summer-Cup-CAJL-1024x442.jpg

Tubby Ogston saves Pat Stanton's penalty - in vain as it turned out.

See the source image

2-1 to Hibs

See the source image

Dave Smith despondent. Not as despondent as a certain 11 year old Dons fan...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

On 17/04/2022 at 16:05, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

2-0 Scotland.
Jordan, Todd OG.
Att 94,487.

I watched that game in the Mill House Pub in Dublin. For some reason the place was packed with Scots. Needless to say, the joint was hopping.

On 17/04/2022 at 16:05, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

2-0 Scotland.
Jordan, Todd OG.
Att 94,487.

This pic is defo not the before the 1974 Scotland V England game. The fan  holding the paper far left is wearing the shirt that Scotland wore for the 1978 World Cup  in Argentina. That strip came out a few later maybe 1977? Defo not worn in the 74 game.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

1970 Scottish Cup Final

See the source image

Happy ending!

A grand strip too. The AFC logo was yet to appear. When was that -80s? (I've always felt that it was the winning entry in a Primary School art competition).

1977 LC Final - Cheers (some cynical) as Big Davie came on in ET. His header was directed straight up in our direction - saw it all the way.  Pleasing.

See all these games you've sardined into Granda? You're one lucky, lucky man. Get your stories written down for Jack.