A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

11 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Noticed the kick offs are all 2pm. Was that the norm year round back then or just during the winter months due to floodlights not being a thing? If the former when did the move to 3pm happen in the SFL?

When I moved to NI in 1973 the only teams with floodlights were Linfield and Glentoran, AFAIR. It was a bit of shock to someone used to the Scottish First Division and the Highland League where everyone had floodlights. Subsequently kick offs got earlier and earlier in the winter months, sometimes causing me to miss a match entirely.

On 17/03/2022 at 20:52, Flybhoy said:

Walter Smith having a chat with the referee at a wintry Celtic Park in December 1973 as Dundee United drew 3-3 with the home side, these days they wouldn't even bother with a pitch inspection for a day like that although, with the advent of under soil heating conditions like that are more easily overcome. 

IMG_20220317_204840.jpg

Goodness knows what Smith was saying to the ref but I would imagine it was 'industrial'.

16 hours ago, Eednud said:

Take R.Brown in goal for Queen’s Park is Bobby Brown one time St Johnstone and Scotland manager and the Dons right back would be Doug Cowie who moved to Dundee?

Interesting to see that at the Adelphi it was dine and wine.

Although an Aberdonian he never played for the Dons with Dundee being his first senior team. He only ever played for Morton after leaving Dens after 16 years.

23 hours ago, House Bartender said:

A fine document. Playing on Christmas Day and then the 1st and 2nd of January! See thon wimps playing today moaning about 2 games a week...

Before floodlights the practice was to play on every Saturday and public holidays. For example in 1946-47 there were full cards on Wednesday 1st, Thursday 2nd and Saturday 4th January.

Note that programme is from 1945-46 in the Southern League... war with Japan was still ongoing when campaign started... so certain arrangements may not have been entirely regular.

22 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I like the way they clarified the date of Christmas Day, just in case anyone wasn't sure

In a way that was appropriate - it was a regular working (and footballing) day until 1970s.

22 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Noticed the kick offs are all 2pm. Was that the norm year round back then or just during the winter months due to floodlights not being a thing? If the former when did the move to 3pm happen in the SFL?

KO was traditionally 3:30pm and only drifted to 3pm during 1920s & 30s. Earlier in winter pre-floodlight, but they clearly also played in gloom that would be considered hopelessly inadequate today. Of course these was no BST until 1916, and Double BST from 1940 to 1945 and in 1947, and year round BST from 1968 to 1971, which also complicated matters.

18 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm guessing the programme only lists home games (on its cover, anyway) and there was at least one other game between Christmas and New Year. Was Boxing Day a bank holiday in those days?

Boxing Day was not made a bank holiday in Scotland until 1974.

However it was a local holiday in some places and clubs might arrange games to take advantage of a captive audience.

First major Boxing Day card on a weekday here was 1981 (Monday) - but mainly comprised clubs moving games off Christmas Eve. Seldom if ever been a dedicated Boxing Day card here.

10 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

When I moved to NI in 1973 the only teams with floodlights were Linfield and Glentoran, AFAIR. It was a bit of shock to someone used to the Scottish First Division and the Highland League where everyone had floodlights. Subsequently kick offs got earlier and earlier in the winter months, sometimes causing me to miss a match entirely.

Even then a few SFL teams were still holding out against the hellish incandescence. Brechin (1978), Alloa (1979) and Stranraer (1981) were the last.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Before floodlights the practice was to play on every Saturday and public holidays. For example in 1946-47 there were full cards on Wednesday 1st, Thursday 2nd and Saturday 4th January.

Note that programme is from 1945-46 in the Southern League... war with Japan was still ongoing when campaign started... so certain arrangements may not have been entirely regular.

In a way that was appropriate - it was a regular working (and footballing) day until 1970s.

KO was traditionally 3:30pm and only drifted to 3pm during 1920s & 30s. Earlier in winter pre-floodlight, but they clearly also played in gloom that would be considered hopelessly inadequate today. Of course these was no BST until 1916, and Double BST from 1940 to 1945 and in 1947, and year round BST from 1968 to 1971, which also complicated matters.

Boxing Day was not made a bank holiday in Scotland until 1974.

However it was a local holiday in some places and clubs might arrange games to take advantage of a captive audience.

First major Boxing Day card on a weekday here was 1981 (Monday) - but mainly comprised clubs moving games off Christmas Eve. Seldom if ever been a dedicated Boxing Day card here.

Even then a few SFL teams were still holding out against the hellish incandescence. Brechin (1978), Alloa (1979) and Stranraer (1981) were the last.

It's a bit of a cheat but Annan Athletic were the last SFL team to get floodlights! 

The majestic Billy Stark enjoying an Indian Summer in his career with a three year spell at Celtic, arrived  in the summer of 1987 to the bemusement of most but was a pivotal figure in the centenary season double, chipping in with countless goals, including a winner against the *** in his first game against them for Celtic (the day Souness tried to amputate his left foot when his boot had come off) and a late winner at Hibs in a Scottish Cup quarter final replay at Easter Road. 

Although not blessed with blistering pace he had a gliding motion about the way he moved, his off the ball runs were superb and a real feature of his play, a player hastily written off by an Aberdeen side in transition in the post Fergie era.

A player signed for what now and even then was a ridiculous fee of £70,000. A travesty that he never received a Scotland cap.

Stark-2.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

The majestic Billy Stark enjoying an Indian Summer in his career with a three year spell at Celtic, arrived  in the summer of 1987 to the bemusement of most but was a pivotal figure in the centenary season double, chipping in with countless goals, including a winner against the *** in his first game against them for Celtic (the day Souness tried to amputate his left foot when his boot had come off) and a late winner at Hibs in a Scottish Cup quarter final replay at Easter Road. 

Although not blessed with blistering pace he had a gliding motion about the way he moved, his off the ball runs were superb and a real feature of his play, a player hastily written off by an Aberdeen side in transition in the post Fergie era.

A player signed for what now and even then was a ridiculous fee of £70,000. A travesty that he never received a Scotland cap.

Stark-2.jpg

A bit disappointed that you have omitted mention of his time at St. Mirren. He scored 84 goals in 328 starts ( a goal every 4 games over 8 years is a superb return) one of which a mazy dribble and shot from outside the box to give St. Mirren their first win at Celtic Park in 20 years.

He was also part of the only Scottish club to win the Anglo Scottish Cup. I agree that it was a disgrace that he never played for Scotland.

St Mirren Hall of Fame: Billy Stark

ETA...lol. I realise that picture chops the heid aff Jimmy Bone holding the cup but it was the only one I could find that contained Stark.

Edited by Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Stark-2.jpg

A superb player for the Dons.  60 goals in 129 starts is a great return for a midfield player.  Signed as a replacement for Strachan and criminally underestimated and appreciated by a section of the support.

13 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

A bit disappointed that you have omitted mention of his time at St. Mirren. He scored 84 goals in 328 starts ( a goal every 4 games over 8 years is a superb return) one of which a mazy dribble and shot from outside the box to give St. Mirren their first win at Celtic Park in 20 years.

He was also part of the only Scottish club to win the Anglo Scottish Cup. I agree that it was a disgrace that he never played for Scotland.

I mind him having a great game against United in the very early '80s at Love Street, think St Mirren won by a couple of goals, but Billy Stark was involved in almost everything good for the Buddies, I was hoping we'd put a bid in for him but it never happened.

2054513458_BillyStark1982.thumb.jpg.a6d35ef6d4ad32450a14bdb43b4cb386.jpg

He gets his pension this year.

On 06/03/2022 at 01:40, HibeeJibee said:

39 years ago today...

Saturday 5th March 1983
Inter-City boys international
Glasgow Boys v Bradford Boys

at Hampden Park, Glasgow

No idea what the score was - no result in Monday's edition of the Glasgow Herald. Perhaps somebody knows or can discover it. This was the 52nd meeting in a long-standing series between the 2 cities at U18 level, with Hampden the traditional venue for the match this end.

Interesting to trace the fate of Glasgow's squad as adults.

Kevin Gallacher played over 50 times for Scotland and had a long career with Dundee United and top English clubs. Sammy Johnston was a regular for St Johnstone then various other clubs in Scotland and Ireland. Ian Cameron had a long career particularly with St Mirren and Partick. Graham Hay appearred for Stranraer and other lower-league sides. Stuart McArthur achieved a year at Albion Rovers.

Brian McGee never broke into Celtic's first-team, but did play for Partick a few times. Andrew Mulraney never broke into Clydebank's first-team and similarly Robert Kennedy at St Mirren. Cannot find any record of "R Gahagan", "M Keyes", "K Knight", "R Knox", "I McIlwham", "E McKenna", "I MacRitchie" or "G Stewart" playing at SFL level.

So that's 1 international, 2 professionals, 2 part-timers (1 only brief), 3 near-misses and 8 apparently "sunk without trace". Blame the teachers strike.

IMG_20220306_0001.thumb.jpg.771372fb012d931313548d647c86f348.jpg

IMG_20220306_0002.thumb.jpg.d34a1436fd8d8c8a977ec639a3c32cb8.jpg

IMG_20220306_0003.thumb.jpg.04ba27b1762db53c6f12d572895c59ea.jpg

Just realised the Glasgow Schools Team Manager was my old Dumbarton Academy PE teacher. Can only be him, he was still involved in the Glasgow Schools Select trails in the 90s and took me along for the trial each year. One for the few Sons of the rock that I know follow this thread..

17 hours ago, EdmontonDandy said:

A superb player for the Dons.  60 goals in 129 starts is a great return for a midfield player.  Signed as a replacement for Strachan and criminally underestimated and appreciated by a section of the support.

IIRC his superb goal scoring record in the top Scottish League was not matched in Europe , unfortunately !

therefore not a John Wark replacement

Edited by Ewan8472

19 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Stark-2.jpg

and S**n*as said he never deliberately tried to injure an opponent !