A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

54 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Gayfield in 1950.

1950-10-04-Gayfield-Park.thumb.jpg.9276902652b1b6620cae89123e104c0b.jpg

No enclosures at either end, which were, I think, built later on in the 'fifties.

Love that.

We see alot of pictures on how grounds were before becoming the 'modern' all seaters.  

It's nice to see the changes that have occurred at what now would be considered a traditional ground.

Personally awaiting a big change over the next 10 years or so, probably as we move toward 'safe' standing.  There has been significant generational changes to ground every 30-40 years, and there is alot of grounds unchanged since the mid-90s post taylor report.  

36 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

One of the interesting things featured in old newspapers is the publishing of gate reciepts. When was this practice phased out?

Don't actually know, but maybe when (some) clubs started keeping back cash to avoid taxation, and more simply to hide the money generally. Certainly well before the newspapers stopped publishing the home town of referees.

56 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

One of the interesting things featured in old newspapers is the publishing of gate reciepts. When was this practice phased out?

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Don't actually know, but maybe when (some) clubs started keeping back cash to avoid taxation, and more simply to hide the money generally. Certainly well before the newspapers stopped publishing the home town of referees.

I'd have speculated 1957 (when entertainment tax abolished) or 1961 (SFL started gathering attendances centrally).

But that article's 1961.

It still happens in Italy. Given the absolute state of football finance in that country its probably a good sign that we don't have to do it.

12 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Not so much supporting columns, more anchors to stop the roof being blown off

It's Forfar who had about 3 stands blown down in their history. I don't think I've seen a picture of any of them so if some Loons can supply an image it would be appreciated. 

Here's an old card issued by the Sunday Post when Forfar played in green (1955-67): 

forfar-athletic-doug-berrie-49-176336-1-p.jpg.3b4b011e0ba7131c641fe5e6ee078181.jpg

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Talking of floodlights this was 60yrs today. Brockville had sported illumination since 1953 but chose weekday afternoon v Rangers:

1961120902.jpg

Utterly fantastic browse through the back pages of history. I genuinely never knew that Millwall were "Athletic". And it looks like Hartlepool had an "s" to help anchor them at the bottom of LD IV. Typo, nae doot.

15 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Utterly fantastic browse through the back pages of history. I genuinely never knew that Millwall were "Athletic". And it looks like Hartlepool had an "s" to help anchor them at the bottom of LD IV. Typo, nae doot.

No, I think they were Hartlepools (United) in those days.

10 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Millwall hadn't been 'Millwall Athletic' for over 40 years by 1961.

So I now see, having bothered to look it up. (Thanks). Must be that the Evening Times typesetters had never updated the title in the league tables. I note that they were originally Millwall Rovers too, but this is not Scottish Football, so apologies all round for bring it up in this thread.

4 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

I'm sure it was because there were two Hartlepool's, West Hartlepool and Hartlepool, so the club was the technically correct (the) Hartlepools United for a number of years. 

From Wikipedia - "They were founded in 1908 as Hartlepools United Football Athletic Company. West Hartlepool won the FA Amateur Cup in 1905 and after the club was dissolved in 1910 its assets and liabilities were subsequently taken over by Hartlepools United, who were then playing in the North Eastern League. Hartlepools United were elected into the Football League in 1921 and would spend the next 37 years in the Third Division North, at which point they were placed into the Fourth Division. In 1968, the s and the United of the club's name was removed due to the merger of West Hartlepool with the town of Hartlepool and the village of Hart - forming the new borough of Hartlepool. The club won promotion in 1967–68 for the first time, though were relegated out of the Third Division the following season. In 1977, the United was added back to the team's name."

48 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

So I now see, having bothered to look it up. (Thanks). Must be that the Evening Times typesetters had never updated the title in the league tables. I note that they were originally Millwall Rovers too, but this is not Scottish Football, so apologies all round for bring it up in this thread.

This is P&B - never apologise...

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

They were formed by Scottish dock workers...I think.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They were formed by Scottish dock workers...I think.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes, and that's why they play in dark blue with a lion rampant badge.

The official histories of the club, and the Club Website states workers from a jam factory formed the club.

Millwall Rovers were formed in the summer of 1885 by workers at Morton's Jam Factory on the Isle of Dogs.The majority of the workers at the factory were of  Scottish extraction and consequently blue and white became the club's colours. 

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2016/may/in-the-beginning/

I recall watching a live FA Cup tie involving Millwall, where it was stated they played in dark blue as they adopted Dundee's jerseys. They only flaw in that argument is that Dundee were not formed for another 8 years after Millwall Rovers. 

In any case, there wasn't a 'Morton's Jam Factory' on the Isle of Dogs: the factory owned by Morton's canned a variety of foodstuffs, as jam making was generally a seasonal form of employment, done by women, with the jam stored in ceramic containers.

The Morton's male workforce were mainly tinsmiths, and probably weren't in the main Scottish in any case.