A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

"Late fitness test". Metaphor for someone's sister standing on him, dog eating him, or using their thumb and him disappearing under the sofa?

The first of those was my biggest difficulty.

Seeing the picture of the box the Hibs side came in, almost had me weeping with nostalgic yearnings.

Posted apropos of nothing other than it includes my Uncle Davie and I know little about his time with Clyde, not sure there's much to tell or if he even made a 1st team appearance. He went of to have a  career in the NSL with Toronto. Other than the obvious names Harry Haddock and Jim McLean, I only aware of Willie McCulloch as I still see him cycling around Dumbarton now and again. 

Clyde team group in 1962-63_.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

Posted apropos of nothing other than it includes my Uncle Davie and I know little about his time with Clyde, not sure there's much to tell or if he even made a 1st team appearance. He went of to have a  career in the NSL with Toronto. Other than the obvious names Harry Haddock and Jim McLean, I only aware of Willie McCulloch as I still see him cycling around Dumbarton now and again. 

Dave Thomson, inside forward?

Capped for Scottish Schoolboys in 3 games during 1955-56/1956-57. Signed to Clyde as an amateur 1st May 1958. Capped for Scottish Amateurs in 3 games during 1957-58/1958-59. Turned professional 27th February 1959.

Played in: 3 league games in1959-60; 13 league games (2 goals) in 1960-61; 5 league cup (1 goal) and 12 league games (5 goals) in 1961-62; 6 league cup (1 goal) and 6 league (1 goal) games in 1962-63. They were relegated from A Division to B Division at the end of 1960-61, won B Division at first time of asking, then got relegated again! He was released on 30th April 1963.

Those stats do not include possible appearances in Glasgow Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup or Franco-Scottish Friendship Cup. He never seems to have played in Scottish Cup.

Unclear what he did for 5yrs. Non-league/junior?

He joined Rochester Lancers of the American Soccer League in 1968. They moved up to North American Soccer League for 1970, but he only held down a place for 1 month, scoring at home v Dallas Tornado - plus an appearance v Hapoel Petah Tikva (each club played 1 'foreign guest' club for regular points). Rochester won the Soccer Bowl.

He moved to Toronto Metros during 1971. Held down a place for 2 months, and made occasional appearances during 1972.

Played for Toronto Hungaria of the National Canadian Soccer League 1973 and 1974. Champions in 1973.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Dylangt7 said:

Dick Grant looks a bit like the young Cloughie. He's standing next to the Scottish Cloughie, Jovial Jim McLean 

17 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Did Aberdeen have blue/navy away kits in the 80’s/90’s?? Getting an image of one in the Eoin Jess era, navy and gold I’m thinking…? 🤔 

It was one of those "historical" kits. The Dons played in blue and gold until March 1939.

www.historicalkits.co uk

On 28/07/2021 at 17:52, HibeeJibee said:

1_GL6758.jpg

stands011294pic.jpg

Estadio Straiton

b25lY21zOjgwMTJjNWQ1LWE2MDktNDFiZC1hODMy

Inverness expansion

19286b80-c355-4cf1-a517-de0a2e42e564

'Stadium Aberdeen' (Euro 2008 bid)

_38348575_newstadiumtwo300.jpg     _38205603_proposedstadium300.jpg

Straiton was meant to have a smaller "lesser Straiton" next to the main ground which Hibs were going to offer to Meadowbank Thistle to share.

It might have prevented us getting franchised.

19 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A young, clean shaven Willie Miller in an unusual blue Aberdeen away kit challenging Hearts striker Drew Busby in the mid 1970's.

IMG_20210729_103935.jpg

The Dons wore that against Dundee United in home games in the late 'sixties and early 'seventies, and I think this picture is from a Pittodrie clash against Hearts. Think it's been covered before, but there was a period of time when the home side changed if there was a clash.

1 hour ago, Dylangt7 said:

Davie Thomson scored eight goals for the Clyde first team, in 35 appearances between 1959-63, according to http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/clyde/clyde.html 

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It was one of those "historical" kits. The Dons played in blue and gold until March 1939.

www.historicalkits.co uk

Woah woah woah.  Haud the bus.  Although there was some navy blue kicking about in our strips pre-formation/merger and in our shorts after 1903, we were very much black and gold with white or black shorts until we made the change to red.  

On 29/07/2021 at 22:40, Flybhoy said:

A young, clean shaven Willie Miller in an unusual blue Aberdeen away kit challenging Hearts striker Drew Busby in the mid 1970's.

IMG_20210729_103935.jpg

Looks like he has an early stage pencil moustache to me. Maybe him and Drew challenged each other to go the whole hog after this game?

On 30/07/2021 at 17:32, HibeeJibee said:

Dave Thomson, inside forward?

Capped for Scottish Schoolboys in 3 games during 1955-56/1956-57. Signed to Clyde as an amateur 1st May 1958. Capped for Scottish Amateurs in 3 games during 1957-58/1958-59. Turned professional 27th February 1959.

Played in: 3 league games in1959-60; 13 league games (2 goals) in 1960-61; 5 league cup (1 goal) and 12 league games (5 goals) in 1961-62; 6 league cup (1 goal) and 6 league (1 goal) games in 1962-63. They were relegated from A Division to B Division at the end of 1960-61, won B Division at first time of asking, then got relegated again! He was released on 30th April 1963.

Those stats do not include possible appearances in Glasgow Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup or Franco-Scottish Friendship Cup. He never seems to have played in Scottish Cup.

Unclear what he did for 5yrs. Non-league/junior?

The very man.  Amazing stats thanks, where did you find that info if you don't mind  me asking? (Couldn't find the season stats with scorers).

The 5 years missing from football...lol, I'm lead to believe he quit football to go make the big time in music. Moved to London..Tin Pan Alley. Appeared on the 6 o'clock show singing. Wrote some jingles etc..man of many talents.

26 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

The very man.  Amazing stats thanks, where did you find that info if you don't mind  me asking? (Couldn't find the season stats with scorers).

The 5 years missing from football...lol, I'm lead to believe he quit football to go make the big time in music. Moved to London..Tin Pan Alley. Appeared on the 6 o'clock show singing. Wrote some jingles etc..man of many talents.

No bother.

Consulted:

Record of Post-War Scottish League Players (CD-ROM)     http://www.pmfc.co.uk/postwar.html

NASL a Complete Record of the North America Soccer League (book)     https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Record-American-Soccer-1989-08-25/dp/B01K3K48E0

plus

https://www.nasljerseys.com/Players/T/Thomson.Dave.htm

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/clyde/clyde.html

Firhill was a favourite ground of mine when that terracing still existed. Its a crying shame to see it in its present derelict state. Thistle had plans at one time to redevelop that end in the same way as the opposite end with a smallish stand and flats behind. It would be a huge improvement on what is there now. Have those plans been scrapped?

FB_IMG_1628159240764.jpg.b9745908e90b6ddd0154d84ac82931d8.jpg