A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Worth saying Kilmarnock won that friendly 1-0.

Following year they met at the Polo Grounds again this time in the International Soccer League groupstage within a double bill alongside Dynamo Bucharest v Beskitas but sadly this time the Brazilians crushed them 5-0.

dynamoroumania-besiktas-bangu-kilmarnock

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Final of the International Soccer League.

Bangu toured Europe the following year and played Kilmarnock at Rugby Park as well as Crystal Palace, Everton and Sunderland.
BanguBrazil-Kilmarnock-nodate-L.jpg

Greenie just for the American pronounciation of Kilmarnock.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

This photo led me down an internet rabbit hole about that stadium and everything related to it. Scotland played here in 1935 and twice in 1939. Third Lanark beat Birmingham City 4-1 here in 1960 and later than year Bangu of Brazil beat Kilmarnock 2-0.

The stadium looks to have been an amazing place under a bluff at the north end of Manhatten, just by the East River, and so much sporting history took place there. So quirky was its layout that the exit for fans in the main stands was across the pitch!

Every time I come on this thread it takes at least 2 hours of my life. It's fantastic. I'm amazed that people keep finding and posting such great photos. 

When was the last time a non OF scottish team was 'invited' for an overseas glamour friendly? Excluding games at pre season training camps.

You would imagine Aberdeen will eventually play a game or two in Atlanta at some point.

Were Dundee not rumoured to be going to Boston a few years back? 

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

When was the last time a non OF scottish team was 'invited' for an overseas glamour friendly? Excluding games at pre season training camps.

You would imagine Aberdeen will eventually play a game or two in Atlanta at some point.

Were Dundee not rumoured to be going to Boston a few years back? 

Aberdeen had some daft annual contest v Viking Stavangar on the go for a few years recently... they once got a League Cup tie v Morton delayed a week for it. Opponents hardly 'glamour' admittedly but was early autumn not preseason. They also visited Kaiserslautern around 10yrs ago.

I doubt our clubs are now very "box office".

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aberdeen had some daft annual contest v Viking Stavangar on the go for a few years recently... they once got a League Cup tie v Morton delayed a week for it. Opponents hardly 'glamour' admittedly but was early autumn not preseason. They also visited Kaiserslautern around 10yrs ago.

I was at the Kaiserslautern match (my ticket stub below), needless to say, a Mark McGhee led Aberdeen team didn't grab the imagination of the locals, there was only around 2,000 in the stadium...

IMG20210724222014_BURST000_COVER.thumb.jpg.ceaf06479796f47195ae6ba499f9e7fa.jpg

Maybe not glamourous, but Dundee United played in front of a crowd of around 6,500 at FC Utrecht in 2014, and the previous season faced Union Berlin. Both decent sides, playing these games at their own stadiums. They'd both thump United now, I'd imagine. This season we took on Cowdenbeath (draw) and Brechin City (win) as pre season matches, illustrating how things have changed.

On 24/07/2021 at 00:43, HibeeJibee said:

It was for the Energy Cities Community Cup. "daft annual contest" indeed.

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This season we took on Cowdenbeath (draw) and Brechin City (win) as pre season matches, illustrating how things have changed.

Hopefully, the international club friendly isn't gone forever and only a temporary necessity given the Covid situation.

For instance, I do hope the Dons make that trip to the USA to play our Atlantean overlords. I suppose though that, unfortunately, a North American tour like days of yore is out of the question...

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Did it get extended at some point after this? Always seemed much bigger than in that photo, but maybe it wasnt and memory is a bit hazy. 

I thought the same but I think that was it. 

On 06/07/2021 at 12:56, tamba_trio said:

Gough, McLeish, McPherson and Aitken all starting seems crazy to me. Particularly Aitken, as he'd left Celtic by this point and I don't really understand why he was still a regular in the Scotland midfield. 

I'd never been a fan of Aitken, but he'd done very well since joining Newscastle during the previous season.  He was as worth a place as he'd been before leaving Celtic.

On 23/07/2021 at 11:27, Lurkst said:

The Old Firm unite to unveil a floral display at Rugby Park and also launch a campaign promoting the slaughter of rare sea birds or something...

2db3pfk.jpg

scanned-35mm-ally-mccoist-paul-mcstay-at

I assume that given they are in scotland tracksuits they are on Scotland duty, but the 'balance' of a player from each of the old firm always did/does my head in. Like in those pics, did they think if it was only McCoist then Celtic fans would kill puffins out of spite or vice versa? 

Even now you get it, but it's usually some washed up long forgotten players wearing whatevers sponsors t shirt. Roll out someone like Anton Rogan or Terry Hurlock and ask them what they think of whichever one is playing vs St Mirren and expect them to rattle of some knowledgable insight into the fixture and what dangers St Mirren have!!

Anyhow, do Killie not still have a floral display in the same place? 

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

I assume that given they are in scotland tracksuits they are on Scotland duty, but the 'balance' of a player from each of the old firm always did/does my head in. Like in those pics, did they think if it was only McCoist then Celtic fans would kill puffins out of spite or vice versa? 

Even now you get it, but it's usually some washed up long forgotten players wearing whatevers sponsors t shirt. Roll out someone like Anton Rogan or Terry Hurlock and ask them what they think of whichever one is playing vs St Mirren and expect them to rattle of some knowledgable insight into the fixture and what dangers St Mirren have!!

Anyhow, do Killie not still have a floral display in the same place? 

paper roses?

Is it not an anti-smoking campaign?

Puffin - Smokebusters

ETA - just checked, yes it was a anti-smoking campaign directed at children.  The t-shirts were designed by local children.  Both were on duty for Scotland at the time preparing for a game against Denmark.  It's said this was 1986.  I'm not sure it was against Denmark, as we had them in the world cup and Coisty wasn't in the squad.

ETATA- I think it's not 1986.  Both of them look older. Also, did Killie have blue seats in 1986.

Edited by SlipperyP

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I think that tracksuit was from around the early 'nineties, perhaps 91-92.

I think you are spot on. I think we had them for Euro 92. I thought Killie just put those seats in the main stand when they did the rest of the ground up, which was a few years later, but it must have been earlier than I thought. I had a memory of sitting on wooden seats around the time Tommy Burns was manager, but could have been before.

As an aside, Rugby park is a massively under rated ground. If that was in say Stirling or Falkirk, it would be used pretty much every year for semi finals.

If Killie had only been able to go the full length down the side, surely would have been 20k? Even now, I think you could build a decent chunk of uncovered rail seating at the end of the stand which would be cracking, although completely unnecessary.