A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

16 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He definitely ran a few buses and I remember at least one Thistle supporter on mine. I was with my ex-wife. (I knew how to show her a good time !). I also remember the police being in the bus, but I suppose they went on them all.

The tour guide at our digs in Cattolica was furious when I pointed out she was from Airdrie and her Dad had a chip shop, rather than the more stylish Italian image she was trying on.

Yes. 4 of us travelled 2 Thistle and 2 lapsed Rangers fans.  There was also a good few Motherwell  boys there as well. The bloke on the bus that organised things was also a Thistle fan that knew Grigor from previous Scotland away games. Felt sorry for him he was getting belters about the lack of Brazil tickets. Someone on one of the busses bought what he thought was 4 Brazil tickets from a Swede at a service station. Turned out it was a Brazil ticket with 3 Sweden Costa Rica tickets.

I remember an Airdrie chap with his missus. Some  people will do anything to get the table seat on the bus.

2 hours ago, thisal said:

Yes. 4 of us travelled 2 Thistle and 2 lapsed Rangers fans.  There was also a good few Motherwell  boys there as well. The bloke on the bus that organised things was also a Thistle fan that knew Grigor from previous Scotland away games. Felt sorry for him he was getting belters about the lack of Brazil tickets. Someone on one of the busses bought what he thought was 4 Brazil tickets from a Swede at a service station. Turned out it was a Brazil ticket with 3 Sweden Costa Rica tickets.

I remember an Airdrie chap with his missus. Some  people will do anything to get the table seat on the bus.

Looks like we've met. I look exactly the same as I did in 1990. Except for my hair, weight and a different wife.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Looks like we've met. I look exactly the same as I did in 1990. Except for my hair, weight and a different wife.

Snap.

On 05/07/2021 at 14:44, paulbrucerick said:

Ah, the 1990 World Cup. The year that England had New Order doing their song and we had......erm......anyone!

Say it with pri-I-ide....

On 09/07/2021 at 09:11, Black Pennel said:

Did you die though ?...or did you just think about it ?

We've all been there.

No, I didn't die, but I was choking like f**k and someone had to stick their fingers down my throat to dislodge the noodles. Pulled them out my throat as to say.

On 02/07/2021 at 16:32, Dylangt7 said:

was bored at work and wondered why it was a Monday night...as with most internet searches, i got bored and ended up down a different path...anway..

what I did find was this match report. I've never seen teams listed like that before Haffey, Mackay and Kennedy...McNeill and Price . Anyone care to explaing the formation / positions?

jgl5X4zxaSrcQrUrdikQ-A314137

I wish papers these days would name the players most susceptible to simulation.

Rose Reilly at Somerset.

Begging the question, when did the roof go up behind the goals at Somerset?
Screenshot_20210710_095513_bbc.mobile_news_uk.thumb.jpeg.16e46ff1e28385ec09893f71c8c29a57.jpeg
You are quite correct. It's definitely Somerset Park. Your later colour picture is quite informative. If you look closely at the floodlights you can deduce they are in the course of construction given there is no lighting gantry present unlike the one clearly visible in the Rose Reilly picture. From memory they were officially switched on for a game against Newcastle Utd later that season, 1970-71.

The cover at the Somerset Road followed probably the following year. At the time of it's construction Ayr decamped to Dam Park for a few weeks and a picture of one of those games at Dam Park v St Mirren featured on this very thread not long ago.

During their time at Dam Park the Scottish League wouldn't sanction a game v Rangers to be played there which resulted in Killie having to step in to offer them the use of Rugby Park for the day. Just shows we have always had philanthropic feelings for our less fortunate chums from down the road.

oPeahkJMGKzEAOjZctx--Q443838

From September 1972, Killie keeper Ally Hunter tries in vain to keep Celtic at bay in a 6-2 league defeat.

The match was played at Hampden due to Celtic's stand undergoing construction work, with an experimental kick off time of 7pm on Saturday. Clearly an unsuccessful experiment as the official attendance is listed as being 11,560.

4 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

From September 1972, Killie keeper Ally Hunter tries in vain to keep Celtic at bay in a 6-2 league defeat.

The match was played at Hampden due to Celtic's stand undergoing construction work, with an experimental kick off time of 7pm on Saturday. Clearly an unsuccessful experiment as the official attendance is listed as being 11,560.

61+EeuVsiVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'm guessing this involved the new main stand? It was definitely open for a spell earlier in the season though, as I was in it, when we played Celtic in the Drybrough Cup.

8 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I'm guessing this involved the new main stand? It was definitely open for a spell earlier in the season though, as I was in it, when we played Celtic in the Drybrough Cup.

Unsure of the construction timeline. Here's a match report that touches on it (also mentions Killie's miserable record against Celtic in Glasgow, which would remain unmended for another 40 years!)

_yWImTJj6Xy74S8k-KVmXw1087514

Changed days with the season opener taking place in September.

Celtic's next home game was also played at Hampden v Rangers. 

I did discover this great photo of the Celtic team emerging from a partly demolished stand in 1971...

OXWxsjglh5zmo1A09sdtsA389712

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Alan Lee ,the Kilmarnock defender. Saw him play for Renfrew FC in the late 60s !

44 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Unsure of the construction timeline. Here's a match report that touches on it (also mentions Killie's miserable record against Celtic in Glasgow, which would remain unmended for another 40 years!)

_yWImTJj6Xy74S8k-KVmXw1087514

Changed days with the season opener taking place in September.

Celtic's next home game was also played at Hampden v Rangers. 

I did discover this great photo of the Celtic team emerging from a partly demolished stand in 1971...

OXWxsjglh5zmo1A09sdtsA389712

A quick Google of his work would give you the impression that Cyril Horne was part of the "Celtic family".