A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

45 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No, it's correct. He took the field 20 times for us between 1981 and 1987.

11 starts and 9 subs.

True, I wasn't counting these three games against Canada in 8 days, which takes starts up to 11 right enough. And of course, they were full international matches. Just always felt he deserved a more consistent chance and run of matches, and as a striker too, rather than out wide as he was sometimes used for Scotland.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

A couple of Monday night matches from 1977. George Best played and scored for Fulham but was on the end of a 5-3 defeat, Saints going through after drawing at Craven Cottage.

image.png.d1daf1cd2c51732575bc24e6852ead1a.png

This one finished a 1-1 draw but a local jeweller had put up a trophy and so it went to penalties which gave Liverpool the win.

They were European champions at the time  and sent up their first team, hence the 18000 crowd.

image.png.26f55cf942cc351aa59b8e30834320e2.png

image.png.a8de2c7e551116d15ebee8969383caaa.png

Lex Richardson must've been some player.

I thought it was Turin. I wouldn't swear to it though.
I laboured under the illusion for 40 years I had been to Wrexham for a Scotland game. I only found out this summer it was Cardiff.
Sorry, you're absolutely right- it was Turin.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Rangers programme against Ayr United on 19th September 1959 (which Ayr won 3-0, by the way), has the following snippet - " on the Monday - September 28 at 3 pm to be precise - we encounter them (Partick Thistle) in the Glasgow Cup Final at Hampden. This is the Glasgow Autumn Holiday."

And here's another Monday match

Image 01 - Hibs V Morton League Cup Semi final replay programme 1963

Handy you posted that, because it's sparked another recollection... namely that for a while the League Cup SFs were played in Glasgow - usually Hampden - on Saturday afternoon and Monday night. (Of course no Sunday football in those days so perhaps it was next-best-option?).

Before or after it was Saturday afternoon and Wednesday night. Only time that Berwick ever reached a major SF was in 1963, and Rangers v Berwick was on Wednesday at Hampden. Such scheduling must've been a real challenge for fans of clubs outwith Glasgow. Nowadays we get them on Saturday & Sunday.

Of course Hampden didn't even obtain floodlights until 1961 so before then you were talking late afternoon / early evening starts.

I'll have to look up how League Cup SFs worked.

s-l400.jpg     Forfar-v-Rangers-Scottish-League-Cup-Sem     s-l400.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Handy you posted that, because it's sparked another recollection... namely that for a while the League Cup SFs were played in Glasgow - usually Hampden - on Saturday afternoon and Monday night. (Of course no Sunday football in those days so perhaps it was next-best-option?).

Before or after it was Saturday afternoon and Wednesday night. Only time that Berwick ever reached a major SF was in 1963, and Rangers v Berwick was on Wednesday at Hampden. Such scheduling must've been a real challenge for fans of clubs outwith Glasgow. Nowadays we get them on Saturday & Sunday.

Of course Hampden didn't even obtain floodlights until 1961 so before then you were talking late afternoon / early evening starts.

I have two of those and never even noticed they were played on a Monday!

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was not quite right... it was Monday & Wednesday, or sometimes Wednesday and following Monday, not Saturday & Monday.

Nevertheless you get the drift and covered circa 15 years, too.

Interesting to note that with the exception of an experiment in 1979-80 season, it has only been in 1940s to 1950s and since 2011 that League Cup SFs have been played on weekends:

1940-41 played on same Saturday. 1941-42 played on consecutive Saturdays. 1942-43 played on same Saturday.
1943-44 and 1944-45 played on consecutive Saturdays.

1945-46 to 1957-58 played on same Saturday.

1958-59 and 1959-60 played on same Wednesday. 1960-61 played on consecutive Wednesdays.
1961-62 and 1962-63 played on same Wednesday. 1963-64 played on Wednesday and following Monday. 1964-65 played on Tuesday & Wednesday.
1965-66 and 1966-67 played on Monday & Wednesday.
1967-68 and 1968-69 played on same Wednesday. 1969-70 played on Monday & Wednesday. 1970-71 played on consecutive Wednesdays. 1971-72 played on Monday & Wednesday. 1972-73 played on Wednesday and following Monday. 1973-74 played on Monday & Wednesday. 1974-75 played on same Wednesday.

1975-76 to 1977-78 played on Monday & Wednesday.
1978-79 played on same Wednesday.

1979-80 played on consecutive Saturdays.

1980-81 to 1985-86 were 2-legged.

1986-87 played on Tuesday & Wednesday. 1987-88 played on same Wednesday.
1988-89 to 1997-98 played on Tuesday & Wednesday.

1998-99 played on Sunday & Tuesday. 1999-2000 played on Sunday & Wednesday.

2000-01 and 2001-02 played on Tuesday & Wednesday.
2002-03 and 2003-04 played on Tuesday & Thursday. 2004-05 played on Tuesday & Wednesday. 2005-06 played on consecutive Wednesdays. 2006-07 played on Tuesday & Wednesday. 2007-08 played on Wednesday and following Tuesday.
2008-09 and 2009-10 played on Tuesday & Wednesday.

2010-11 to 2017-18 played on Saturday & Sunday.
2018-19 played on same Sunday.
2019-20 onward played on Saturday & Sunday.

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
18 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

image.png.a8de2c7e551116d15ebee8969383caaa.png

That's a hell of a team Liverpool put out. Must have been pretty much their first choice 11 at that time. Saints team wasn't too shabby either. Unlikely that you would see such a star studded line up in modern friendlies (and only 2 subs).

22 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That result would have been irrelevant if some Uruguayan twat hadn't netted in 90+6'.

Also, provided Holland beat Ireland then Scotland would go through. 

Ireland's equaliser in that game would make you weep 

4 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

and then once the news came over that England had gone ahead, Gullitt and McCarthy had a brief chat, and the rest of the game was "after you Ruud.....  not at all, Mick, after you" 

On 05/07/2021 at 13:01, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was there. An absolute nightmare.

Got sold a pup by booking a coach trip laid on by Tartan Army con man John Grigor. About 3 days to get there. Accommodation supposedly 2 hours from venue, he missed out a 1 at the start of that. Attended all 3 games in the same circumstances and must've spent more than half of a 16 day holiday on a bus.

There was an alcohol ban in Genoa and Turin, but you could drink if eating or if an Italian con man let you in his pub. Invariably this meant his cousin would watch for the approaching police and call for you to finish your drinks, before shouting they had passed by and we could re-order...you get the picture.

I've had ordinary guns pointed at me, hit with batons and been detained, but the machine gun the Italian copper used to persuade me to leave a pub was particularly convincing. It was the opening gambit, not an excuse me or anything. Just a tap on the shoulder, look round in to the barrell.... "Aye, fair enough, I'm going"!

I don't know if we were on the same bus. but I a had the same package and schedule. We were on the same bus but in a different hotel to the United/dee contingent. They were eventually thrown out of the hotel after several warnings. The final straw being drag racing mopeds along the hotel corridor. For the Costa Rica game we topped up enough cola bottles based on a trip to Blackpool and back. That was tanned when we were only half way there. So some one passed round the joints, you could smoke on a bus then so it was fine. The Police got on the bus at a toll outside Genoa looking for drink, it was well gone but they didn't seem bothered by the cloud of hash they were disappearing into.. The journey after the game was the worst 6 hours of my life. Beaten by Costa Rica, no drink, toilets backed up and the hangover from hell already kicking in.

On 07/07/2021 at 12:28, tamba_trio said:

Harry Kane esque

3 hours ago, thisal said:

I don't know if we were on the same bus. but I a had the same package and schedule. We were on the same bus but in a different hotel to the United/dee contingent. They were eventually thrown out of the hotel after several warnings. The final straw being drag racing mopeds along the hotel corridor. For the Costa Rica game we topped up enough cola bottles based on a trip to Blackpool and back. That was tanned when we were only half way there. So some one passed round the joints, you could smoke on a bus then so it was fine. The Police got on the bus at a toll outside Genoa looking for drink, it was well gone but they didn't seem bothered by the cloud of hash they were disappearing into.. The journey after the game was the worst 6 hours of my life. Beaten by Costa Rica, no drink, toilets backed up and the hangover from hell already kicking in.

He definitely ran a few buses and I remember at least one Thistle supporter on mine. I was with my ex-wife. (I knew how to show her a good time !). I also remember the police being in the bus, but I suppose they went on them all.

The tour guide at our digs in Cattolica was furious when I pointed out she was from Airdrie and her Dad had a chip shop, rather than the more stylish Italian image she was trying on.

A wee sign at the site of the Ormiston railway station commenting on the football special which took spectators in from Lochore for a cup tie against Ormiston Primrose. Those were the days, special trains to very random football ties.

Station closed in 1965, platform now used for allotments, if you're remotely interested.

Ormiston Primrose have also been away for a good few years now. IMG_20210620_141437.jpeg.4d9366b69f8232623c60106cd457cea0.jpegIMG_20210620_113353.jpeg.f256ca18a8d8385a3d8542c1749fac88.jpeg
I love the football special railway posters. Originals in decent condition are like hens teeth and sell for big money.

Grigor still does his trips. A couple of my mates were on his bus in 1998 , and i think their experience was pretty much the same as yours.
I once hitched a lift from the airport into Warsaw city centre on his bus, but I think that's as far as I would go with Grigor Travel. 
There were 5 of us on the Brazil trip 1998. Absolute shambles from start to finish. Buses left from the St Andrew's hotel in Ayr....about 4 hours after the scheduled time and that set the tone. Accommodation was a formula 1 motel by a motorway about 40 miles from Paris. Bus back something happened with the drivers and they did it from Dover without stopping which was a nightmare.

Ah the '90 world cup.  I was 15 turning 16 on the 20th June, the Brazil game.

My friend at high school at the time won 3 tickets to the said Brazil game, which I thought I was going to be one of the 3 his dad being the other.  He ended up taking his 7 yo sister.  Never forgave him.

Onto the Brazil game and my birthday, I was at a house party and had a few to drinks and spewed my load out the front garden.  Problem was I had just eaten some supernoodles and they got stuck in my throat on the way back up, thought I was going to die.