A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Rose Reilly at Somerset.

Begging the question, when did the roof go up behind the goals at Somerset?
Screenshot_20210710_095513_bbc.mobile_news_uk.thumb.jpeg.16e46ff1e28385ec09893f71c8c29a57.jpeg
You are quite correct. It's definitely Somerset Park. Your later colour picture is quite informative. If you look closely at the floodlights you can deduce they are in the course of construction given there is no lighting gantry present unlike the one clearly visible in the Rose Reilly picture. From memory they were officially switched on for a game against Newcastle Utd later that season, 1970-71.

The cover at the Somerset Road followed probably the following year. At the time of it's construction Ayr decamped to Dam Park for a few weeks and a picture of one of those games at Dam Park v St Mirren featured on this very thread not long ago.

During their time at Dam Park the Scottish League wouldn't sanction a game v Rangers to be played there which resulted in Killie having to step in to offer them the use of Rugby Park for the day. Just shows we have always had philanthropic feelings for our less fortunate chums from down the road.

oPeahkJMGKzEAOjZctx--Q443838

From September 1972, Killie keeper Ally Hunter tries in vain to keep Celtic at bay in a 6-2 league defeat.

The match was played at Hampden due to Celtic's stand undergoing construction work, with an experimental kick off time of 7pm on Saturday. Clearly an unsuccessful experiment as the official attendance is listed as being 11,560.

4 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

From September 1972, Killie keeper Ally Hunter tries in vain to keep Celtic at bay in a 6-2 league defeat.

The match was played at Hampden due to Celtic's stand undergoing construction work, with an experimental kick off time of 7pm on Saturday. Clearly an unsuccessful experiment as the official attendance is listed as being 11,560.

61+EeuVsiVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'm guessing this involved the new main stand? It was definitely open for a spell earlier in the season though, as I was in it, when we played Celtic in the Drybrough Cup.

8 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I'm guessing this involved the new main stand? It was definitely open for a spell earlier in the season though, as I was in it, when we played Celtic in the Drybrough Cup.

Unsure of the construction timeline. Here's a match report that touches on it (also mentions Killie's miserable record against Celtic in Glasgow, which would remain unmended for another 40 years!)

_yWImTJj6Xy74S8k-KVmXw1087514

Changed days with the season opener taking place in September.

Celtic's next home game was also played at Hampden v Rangers. 

I did discover this great photo of the Celtic team emerging from a partly demolished stand in 1971...

OXWxsjglh5zmo1A09sdtsA389712

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Alan Lee ,the Kilmarnock defender. Saw him play for Renfrew FC in the late 60s !

44 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Unsure of the construction timeline. Here's a match report that touches on it (also mentions Killie's miserable record against Celtic in Glasgow, which would remain unmended for another 40 years!)

I did discover this great photo of the Celtic team emerging from a partly demolished stand in 1971...

A quick Google of his work would give you the impression that Cyril Horne was part of the "Celtic family".

On 11/07/2021 at 09:20, Lurkst said:

I love how the nets are held on with string!

9 hours ago, Northboy said:

I love how the nets are held on with string!

They must've thought people's heids were held on with string if they expected anyone to believe there was only 11000 at that.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 11/07/2021 at 13:18, Lurkst said:

Here's a great photo the Partick Thistle team re-emerging from a total demolition that same year.

gettyimages-592337938-1024x1024.jpg

On 10/07/2021 at 06:54, Lurkst said:

Say it with pri-I-ide....

You know, I'd always thought Italia 90 was a watershed moment in Scottish football. Enthusiasm for the team had been high - we'd had 50,000 at the qualifier v Cyprus and, to 9 year old me, it seemed like Scotland games were always packed. 

After the failure in Italy, we managed a mighty 12,000 for our next home game against Romania. No-one seemed to care anymore. Despite an excellent qualifying campaign for Euro 92, crowds remained garbage. Even in our final group match against San Marino, we only got 35,000. Basically, our home crowds halved in size between the two tournaments.

And yeah, I'd always thought it was because of our performances in Italy. The defeat against Costa Rica. Jim Leighton and his hands of butter.  Mo Johnson sending the last kick of the Brazil game into orbit, when an ounce of composure would have saw Scotland qualify. But I was wrong. It was because of this song. 

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Here's a great photo the Partick Thistle team re-emerging from a total demolition that same year.

gettyimages-592337938-1024x1024.jpg

Including their teeth by the looks of things.

On 11/07/2021 at 18:20, Lurkst said:

If that attendance is correct, then the rest of the ground must have been practically empty.

12 minutes ago, Myles Offside said:

If that attendance is correct, then the rest of the ground must have been practically empty.

Some more pics showing the "11,560" crowd. First the North Stand and enclosure...

cSznsFO9e_351G1FrQ2zPw404956

vACI5W-cyayoj_2bUv_UmQ719847

And the South Stand / Schoolboys Enclosure...

BlfiLSGrhAR1NIdlUvfApg331207

Reading into this more, Queen's Park had actually played at Hampden at 3pm that day, in those times before fitba on the Sabbath I guess they had to cram the game in on Saturday evening. 

Patsy Gallacher, the Mighty Atom, wearing the jersey of Ireland (the island), although he also turned out for Scotland, the Irish Free State, and went on tour with the 'Scottish FA' to Canada, games which weren't regarded as full international matches.

735420789_PatsyGallacher.thumb.jpg.2f3a1701de24a7b99c43272db14f92fd.jpg

A rumour of his time at Celtic was that he was 'retired' to save on his extravagantly high wages, and he went on to play six more seasons at Falkirk. 

That may have been the case, but he was 34 when he left Celtic, and in his early forties when he eventually did retire. Between his long spells at Parkhead and Brockville, he made appearances for New Bedford Whalers in the USA. Finally, he also pulled on the blue of Rangers to take part in a benefit match for Andy Cunningham, in 1922 against Newcastle United.

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Patsy Gallacher, the Mighty Atom, wearing the jersey of Ireland (the island), although he also turned out for Scotland, the Irish Free State, and went on tour with the 'Scottish FA' to Canada, games which weren't regarded as full international matches.

A rumour of his time at Celtic was that he was 'retired' to save on his extravagantly high wages, and he went on to play six more seasons at Falkirk. 

That may have been the case, but he was 34 when he left Celtic, and in his early forties when he eventually did retire. Between his long spells at Parkhead and Brockville, he made appearances for New Bedford Whalers in the USA. Finally, he also pulled on the blue of Rangers to take part in a benefit match for Andy Cunningham, in 1922 against Newcastle United.

Is it Gallacher or Gallagher? What's the difference? Is one the Irish version and the other the Scots variant?

I think ex-St Mirren striker Brian Gallacher (or Gallagher) who scored a hat-trick against Hammarby was Kevin's cousin, and thus both related to Patsy, but yet here below is the two different variants from the same publisher (Panini) with different variants.

Brian_Gallagher.jpg.bda1443b177e7801eb6b77ddc794aaec.jpg

Panini-Football-1987-Sticker-No-500.jpg.882de37245ff13c6d7ce8c3c15ae1cce.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903