A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Graeme Sharp in particular was a huge disappointment, talisman for that great Everton side under Howard Kendall that won two league titles, an FA Cup and the ECWC in the space of three years, not to mention runners up in the other major trophies in that spell....yet couldn't hit a barn door for Scotland.  The only thing I ever recall of him playing for Scotland was his mullet being grogged on by a filthy Uruguayan in the aforementioned match at Mexico 86.

Saw him a few times around Glasgow at youth games.

Take it he was watching his grandson.

7 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Graeme Sharp in particular was a huge disappointment, talisman for that great Everton side under Howard Kendall that won two league titles, an FA Cup and the ECWC in the space of three years, not to mention runners up in the other major trophies in that spell....yet couldn't hit a barn door for Scotland.  The only thing I ever recall of him playing for Scotland was his mullet being grogged on by a filthy Uruguayan in the aforementioned match at Mexico 86.

What annoyed me was Roxburgh and others insistence to play him , curtailing other proven goalscores chances

On 24/05/2021 at 23:31, Flybhoy said:

Johan Cruyff is mugged off by Frank McAvennie in the 1983 UEFA Cup, St Mirren v Feyenoord. 

FB_IMG_1621895086419.jpg

I read an interview with McAvennie a few years ago. "Do you still take a drink?" he was asked

"I do" he said "only it's all turned around. I used to go on the lash for three days and it would take me a day to recover. These days I go on the lash for a day and it takes me three days to recover"

57 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Ally McCoist should definitely have been in the 86 squad ahead of Sharp. At the time doing well for Rangers did not mean an automatic Scotland call up though....

GD9528901.jpg

Along with Souness and Archibald, who suffered badly in the heat I'd have left all three  at home,

McCoist , Robertson, Black, McDougall, any of those deserved a place

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Ally McCoist should definitely have been in the 86 squad ahead of Sharp. At the time doing well for Rangers did not mean an automatic Scotland call up though....

GD9528901.jpg

Having played for St Johnstone just a few seasons earlier, the odds were stacked against McCoist getting selected.

8 hours ago, Willie adie said:

What annoyed me was Roxburgh and others insistence to play him , curtailing other proven goalscores chances

In fairness Roxburgh only gave him 4 starts and 1 sub appearance, and he was never capped after that. In 1985 Sharp was the best forward at the best team in England, maybe in Europe, with 21 league goals. He scored in every round up to the final as they won the European Cup Winners Cup and they made the FA Cup Final too.

I agree that Ally McCoist, Mo Johnstone and Brian McClair were better for Scotland but he was hardly a haddie. Imagine a Scottish player of that quality only getting 12 caps now...

50 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In fairness Roxburgh only gave him 4 starts and 1 sub appearance, and he was never capped after that. In 1985 Sharp was the best forward at the best team in England, maybe in Europe, with 21 league goals. He scored in every round up to the final as they won the European Cup Winners Cup and they made the FA Cup Final too.

I agree that Ally McCoist, Mo Johnstone and Brian McClair were better for Scotland but he was hardly a haddie. Imagine a Scottish player of that quality only getting 12 caps now...

Hadn't McClair been in the team for 5 or 6 years, before scoring his first goal against the C.I.S. in Sweden?

3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Hadn't McClair been in the team for 5 or 6 years, before scoring his first goal against the C.I.S. in Sweden?

Made his debut 12th November 86 against Luxembourg in a 3-0 victory at Hampden during Euro 88 qualifying. Seems to have been a constant in the squad thereafter.

Edited by GNU_Linux

10 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Along with Souness and Archibald, who suffered badly in the heat I'd have left all three  at home,

McCoist , Robertson, Black, McDougall, any of those deserved a place

If this is regarding Mexico 86, then McLeish also suffered under the Mexican summer.

They went through that heartbreaking campaign, and travelled to the other side of the world to qualify, and then once that was achieved, they didn't bother preparing properly or even put the players in decent digs...

Penis and John Kosmina prepare to do battle at the excellent but very rickety Olympic Park Stadium in Melbourne.

I recall a bit of trouble during the game possibly initiated from the expats.

Is the Souness thumb too far round for a normal handshake?

I think he had just arrived the day before, and not with the team due to Italian commitments. He looks a bit pale and tired...

DrdyCVnXgAAccDB.jpg.8adb5678d600d10f2b0627483e2a70fd.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

But he was a haddie

IIRC Hugh Mac made a non complimentary remark about his play

Edited by ewan14

49 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Argentina 78 shurely !

Gordon Strachan has gave interviews saying they had nothing to do all day after training and it was like a prison camp...it did also happen in Argentina so shows Ernie Walker and the SFA didn't learn any lessons as per usual...

4 hours ago, ewan14 said:

But he was a haddie

IIRC Hugh Mac made a non complimentary remark about his play

Everton fans voted him into their greatest ever team and he's their top goalscorer since Dixie Deans. He won 2 league titles, an FA Cup and a European Cup Winners Cup in 3 years.

Graeme Sharp could play.

9 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

His goalscoring record was rubbish but his general forward and link-up play was often immense. He was a very underrated player, a guy that was hugely appreciated by fellow players and managers if less so by fans. Alex Ferguson would have had him cloned if he could.