Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 hours ago, scotfree said:

185177308_5815487088492296_2826642212395189611_n.thumb.jpg.362e459e10bae0ffb413f80342eef4df.jpg

If I'm being picky then I don't think football was on P302 by 1983 and I think the Ceefax banner might've been red instead of blue at that point. However, these Ceefax pages memorabilia has a nice retro feel if not particularly accurate.

I actually have a childhood memory of Ceefax (and it was definitely Ceefax rather than Oracle) which gives you an idea of what a sad individual I am. I loaded the Scottish Premier Division results page in December 1985 (I think, I'm pretty sure it was a postponed match from the Skol Cup final with Hibs) when the Dons were playing Clydebank at Kilbowie. I stood aghast as the result displayed Clydebank (Lanarch, Dickson) 2-1 Aberdeen (Black).

Edited by Bogbrush1903

In remembrance, lest we forget, the original Clydebank....

Got...Got...Got...Got...Got...Clydebank badge? Need to fill....More of Mike Lanarch to saviour

DX4KVPKXkAAhjKB.thumb.jpg.a13236f4a3a6c6ed4cebcd52f1265020.jpg

17 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Tommy McLean, six Scotland caps with Killie, none at Rangers...

11205490_1667869783450393_90256494404556

Probably because they turned the best right winger in the country into a decent cental midfielder.

What a waste.

22 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

E90F0A2C-8B7F-4B01-9F99-CBD344C50C08.jpeg

5 hours ago, Northboy said:

It's an interesting squad. Of the 22 players pictured I reckon only 9/10 were in the World Cup squad the following year (and none of the 3 goalkeepers pictured). 

It's actually even less than that, from those 22 only 8 were on the plane to West Germany the next year:-

Jardine, McGrain, Bremner, Holton, Dalglish, Hay, Donachie and Schaedler.

An astonishing turnaround!

5 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

It's actually even less than that, from those 22 only 8 were on the plane to West Germany the next year:-

Jardine, McGrain, Bremner, Holton, Dalglish, Hay, Donachie and Schaedler.

An astonishing turnaround!

Morgan might also have been in the 1974 squad.

Makes you  wonder what the occasion was as the squad seems short of some obvious names from that time. 

15 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Morgan might also have been in the 1974 squad.

Makes you  wonder what the occasion was as the squad seems short of some obvious names from that time. 

Correct. Missed him off the list, must've been cause he wasn't looking :D

Harvey, Blackley, J Johnstone, Jordan, Lorimer, Allan, J Stewart, Buchan, Cormack, Ford, Hutchison, Law and McQueen are missing from the 74 squad.

The teams for the Home Internationals v Wales and N Ireland that year seem to include those players so must've been from the build up to them...

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scot-intres1975.html

Edited by Lurkst

Interesting to see Johnny Doyle in that squad. At the time he was a Scotland u23 p!ayer, and won his on!y full cap in 1975.

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Correct. Missed him off the list, must've been cause he wasn't looking :D

Harvey, Blackley, J Johnstone, Jordan, Lorimer, Allan, J Stewart, Buchan, Cormack, Ford, Hutchison, Law and McQueen are missing from the 74 squad.

The teams for the Home Internationals v Wales and N Ireland that year seem to include those players so must've been from the build up to them...

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scot-intres1975.html

I think it must've been after they arrived back from Switzerland in June 1973 and in the lead up to a home match against Brazil. I think Peter McCloy's caps are the key to solving this mystery. Joe Jordan must've joined the squad later perhaps this photo was taken earlier in the week and Jordan met up with squad at the end of that week...

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong and Lurkst is correct. This pic was taken around the period of the Home International matches in May 1975

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/players/?pid=1336&lid=1

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 11/05/2021 at 15:29, Bogbrush1903 said:

Back row Donnachie, Parlane, Hay, Holton?, Forsyth, Fat Bob from River City, Jardine

Middle Row Ormond, don't know, King Kenny, McGrain, Thomson Allan?, the Girvan shitehouse, Ally Hunter?, Stanton, Eddie Gray, Dr Hugh Allan ?

Front Row (big struggles) Morgan, not sure, Dod Graham, young Hartford, Bremner, Luigi Macari?, Pettigrew ? probably not actually, Erich Schaedler

This was two years before I was born so I'm probably not the ideal man for this task though..

I thought second from right looked like John Duncan (Dundee)

2 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Aye, you're right, I was wrong with Eddie Gray...This would be the same John Duncan who's spectacles fell off in a rather amusing manner during an FA Cup semi-final in the 1990s between Middlesbrough and Chesterfield after the underdogs that he was managing scored...

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Hamilton Accies, 1972.

2047691233_HamiltonAccies1972.jpg.7a8646a0ca8bc8c4e406879b55f2bdf0.jpg

Very classy strip, although I don't know what the colours were in b&w it's reminiscent of a Crystal Palace away kit. More of this sort of thing please.

52 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I had forgotten that he had been called up but never got a cap. A real shame as he was a terrific goal scorer as well as a good target man. He scored twice against the English League around then at Hampden and it looked like his international career would take off but it never did. 

Signed for Spurs for £140,000 a week after they had a £70,000 bid for Andy Gray turned down. Always thought he was the better player of the two

6 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Signed for Spurs for £140,000 a week 

That was a decent wage back then.

12 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Very classy strip, although I don't know what the colours were in b&w it's reminiscent of a Crystal Palace away kit. More of this sort of thing please.

That was the Palace home kit, was it not?

Terry Venables, Vince Hilaire etc.

It pre-dates the Palace kit by 4 years.   Man City had a change kit in 1972 that was white with a red & black particoloured sash, and numbers on the sleeves à la Melchester Rovers.  That kit had the red above the black though, if the Hamilton kit was the same colour, they seem to be reversed.  Those sashes had a brief fashion around then; Rochdale had one in blue and yellow, and Halifax in blue and orange.

The aforementioned mentioned Mike Lanarch with 1970s Clydebank teammate Davie Cooper...
050c12e4cff3388658b5669c42c586f9.jpg.608855d37b57647a0478954e6e0db054.jpg

I remember both of them playing for Motherwell although a long time in between.