A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
9 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Probably something along those lines although Lambie from Queen's Park is only listed by surname. Were QP amateur in those days?

That might be the flaw in my argument...

There does look to be some level of ranking system - regular players get surname only, 'gentlemen' of Corinthians FC get initials but SFA president gets full first name and surname, 

7 hours ago, Northboy said:

Interesting that the two Corinthians players for England are the only players listed with their initials. 

They were "Gentlemen". The rest were "players" 

On 28/04/2021 at 09:22, kingjoey said:

Given what public toilets were like in France in the seventies, I’m not so sure the French fans would have given that a second look.

Have you been to France the last few years? 

Ive been about 4 or 5 times watching Celtic and some of the 'facilities' in bars and service stations in particular are beyond horrific, the latter in particular would draw a reaction from most people akin to Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' painting...been at a few where it is literally a tiled floor with a hole in it, not even cubicled off... and unisex as well 😱😱😱

Been in a few pubs as well with unisex toilets... urinals right next to the cubicles the ladies use, pretty fucking grim.

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Ive been about 4 or 5 times watching Celtic and some of the 'facilities' in bars and service stations in particular are beyond horrific, the latter in particular would draw a reaction from most people akin to Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' painting...been at a few where it is literally a tiled floor with a hole in it, not even cubicled off... and unisex as well 😱😱😱

Been in a few pubs as well with unisex toilets... urinals right next to the cubicles the ladies use, pretty fucking grim.

Been to France a few times in the past 20 years, but not come across anything like that recently. We must go to different parts of towns.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Been to France a few times in the past 20 years, but not come across anything like that recently. We must go to different parts of towns.

Been to Rennes twice, and Pairis and Lyon once each.... bus Euro sesh jaunts each time, sorts the men from the boys does a 20 hour bus trip and the same back a day or two later, done similar a couple of times to Germany and The Netherlands as well, an absolute hoot going there 😂😂🍺🍺

Less so on the way back after about 4 hours sleep in 3 days kind of thing 😳😳🤦‍♂️😱😥

Remember coming back from Monchengladbach a few years ago after a similar jaunt with next to no sleep and little to eat bar the odd bag of crisps, fuelled by alcohol and one or two other 'mood enhancers" shall we say... passed out on the Eurostar out of sheer exhaustion, woke up with my face stuck to the bus window and a migraine too unbearable to describe, remember thinking we must be in Scotland now, hopefully get my bed in a couple of hours tops.....

......only to see a sign on the motorway 'Nottingham 140 miles' 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😳😳😳

I'd have genuinely taken a fucking bullet to the nut at that point 😫😫😱😂

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The French saluting Celtic FC by basing their facilities on The Jungle toilets! 

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Last time I was in Paris with Scotland, we got off the train, headed out into the main road and watched gobsmacked as a wummin proceeded to have a mega shite in the middle of the road. None of the locals seemed to think this was odd behaviour. French are fcuking weird. 

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Been to Rennes twice, and Pairis and Lyon once each.... bus Euro sesh jaunts each time, sorts the men from the boys does a 20 hour bus trip and the same back a day or two later, done similar a couple of times to Germany and The Netherlands as well, an absolute hoot going there 😂😂🍺🍺

Less so on the way back after about 4 hours sleep in 3 days kind of thing 😳😳🤦‍♂️😱😥

Remember coming back from Monchengladbach a few years ago after a similar jaunt with next to no sleep and little to eat bar the odd bag of crisps, fuelled by alcohol and one or two other 'mood enhancers" shall we say... passed out on the Eurostar out of sheer exhaustion, woke up with my face stuck to the bus window and a migraine too unbearable to describe, remember thinking we must be in Scotland now, hopefully get my bed in a couple of hours tops.....

......only to see a sign on the motorway 'Nottingham 140 miles' 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😳😳😳

I'd have genuinely taken a fucking bullet to the nut at that point 😫😫😱😂

I go to Paris, or did before Covid restrictions were applied, a couple of times each year with my work and then usually either bus it (if the railworkers are on strike) or take the cheap TGV to other parts of the country for gigs and fitba reasons. 

I was going to see an Australian band called The Scientists at Petit Bain which is a boat venue on the Seine. Beforehand, I went for something eat and a beer in a nearby bar, and went into the toilets and the toilet was on a pedastal surrounded by a swarm of flies.  I felt like Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now, going mad in the tropics as I emptied my bowels whilst being eaten alive. 

I've been to Lyon a couple of times but nothing to bad to report from there apart from my accommodation on one visit but that was my own fault as I chose cheaply. 

If you visit  Marseille then you will see many rats scurrying about the place. The place must be infested because they just cannot keep a low profile there. 

I've seen a few disgusting gig venue toilets in France but, to be honest, I'd be disappointed if they were in a good shape...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

18 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Correct. This nonsense was still a thing in cricket until the 1960s...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen_v_Players

In 1963 they abolished the distinction between amateur and professional players in cricket. Most of the sporting world has followed suit, except Scottish Football.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:
22 hours ago, Piquet said:

They were "Gentlemen". The rest were "players" 

Correct. This nonsense was still a thing in cricket until the 1960s...

Along similar lines amateur jockeys were always referred to as Mr So and So (this may still be the case).

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

Along similar lines amateur jockeys were always referred to as Mr So and So (this may still be the case)

It is and female, professional jockeys have their first names listed. 

17 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I go to Paris, or did before Covid restrictions were applied, a couple of times each year with my work and then usually either bus it (if the railworkers are on strike) or take the cheap TGV to other parts of the country for gigs and fitba reasons. 

I was going to see an Australian band called The Scientists at Petit Bain which is a boat venue on the Seine. Beforehand, I went for something eat and a beer in a nearby bar, and went into the toilets and the toilet was on a pedastal surrounded by a swarm of flies.  I felt like Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now, going mad in the tropics as I emptied my bowels whilst being eaten alive. 

I've been to Lyon a couple of times but nothing to bad to report from there apart from my accommodation on one visit but that was my own fault as I chose cheaply. 

If you visit  Marseille then you will see many rats scurrying about the place. The place must be infested because they just cannot keep a low profile there. 

I've seen a few disgusting gig venue toilets in France but, to be honest, I'd be disappointed if they were in a good shape...

They don't believe in toilet seats the further south you go in Italy and in the train stations you are expected to squat over a hole in the ground in what passes for a toilet. Terrible place if you need a shit. 

Much prefer the toilet obsessed Northern European countries and have always admired the pragmatism of the Dutch, especially in Amsterdam where they have metal partitions on the pavement that allow you to piss in the gutter. 

On 30/04/2021 at 00:11, Bogbrush1903 said:

CBGB's bog. My only visit,to CBGB, was short lived as my two mates were unwilling to pay $20 to hear Corey Taylor dj.

d7c23794fc2fdc74dbd50c63c7ad4e54.jpg

With all this train and French toilet chat, anyone else here on "The Tartan Special" to Paris in 2007?

Fondly remember stopping at Preston at about 2 in the morning and the guy on  the tannoy saying the train was loading on water and emptying the toilets and for us to stay on the train. Quickly followed by the sound of the doors of the old rolling stock crashing open and the entire train spilling out onto the platform for a sing-song,  accompanied by the pipes and drums of Clanadonia.

Edited by paulbrucerick

16 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

They don't believe in toilet seats the further south you go in Italy and in the train stations you are expected to squat over a hole in the ground in what passes for a toilet. Terrible place if you need a shit. 

Much prefer the toilet obsessed Northern European countries and have always admired the pragmatism of the Dutch, especially in Amsterdam where they have metal partitions on the pavement that allow you to piss in the gutter. 

Of course the down side to toilet situation in The Netherlands is toilet design with its viewing platform/shelf/plateau/observation deck especially after a heavy night.