A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The most important question is, of course, were they wids?!

You've got me there Tam ...... I'm far too old to understand this this stuff ........ but if it means were they decent, aye they definitely were!  They were French.

As I remember it, the North Stand was suspended above the terracing, and when the toilets overflowed, the pish just dripped down. The terracing had its own toilets at the back, but you had to go under the drips to get there.

I can indeed confirm that it was a pish stained coup of a place - used to go quite a lot in the 70s/80s before reconstruction.  Used to wear the worst clothes/shoes I owned.  Was always some guy re-filling his lager can behind you when a goal was scored ....... you can imagine the rest.  Also can never forget the 1976 European Cup Final (Bayern v St Etienne) and getting through the Mt Florida end turnstiles along with loads of female St Etienne fans to be faced with the sight of hundreds of guys pissing on the walls cos the toilets were jammed full - can still remember the horror on the faces of those French fans - they clearly thought they had travelled back in time a couple of centuries.  Happy days!
Nowhere near as bad but if you go to France now you can still get pissoir style toilets and the hole in the ground squat types which had the female members of my family thinking they had gone back in time. I've not been to St. Etienne though.

4 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

The overnight London train used to be wild, it seemed everyone got on drunk with a huge carry out and sometimes tempers could get a wee bit out of hand. Used to arrive at Euston very rough.

Woah yeah, have seen boys coming off it, six or seven in morning barely able to walk. And there was usually a bus/tube strike.

9 hours ago, johan scott said:

Woah yeah, have seen boys coming off it, six or seven in morning barely able to walk. And there was usually a bus/tube strike.

Can't think why drivers might have wanted to strike on such a weekend?

13 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

The overnight London train used to be wild, it seemed everyone got on drunk with a huge carry out and sometimes tempers could get a wee bit out of hand. Used to arrive at Euston very rough.

I was at Larbert station in 1973 when the train started moving with the Mail ramp still down, apparently someone had waved the light signal to the driver. There were a few hurt, I know one guy who broke his wrist. I remember his ticket being passed on to sell at Wembley.

Being quite young it was all a bit frightening - a bit like the game.

On 24/04/2021 at 11:01, Otis Blue said:

I can indeed confirm that it was a pish stained coup of a place - used to go quite a lot in the 70s/80s before reconstruction.  Used to wear the worst clothes/shoes I owned.  Was always some guy re-filling his lager can behind you when a goal was scored ....... you can imagine the rest.  Also can never forget the 1976 European Cup Final (Bayern v St Etienne) and getting through the Mt Florida end turnstiles along with loads of female St Etienne fans to be faced with the sight of hundreds of guys pissing on the walls cos the toilets were jammed full - can still remember the horror on the faces of those French fans - they clearly thought they had travelled back in time a couple of centuries.  Happy days!

Given what public toilets were like in France in the seventies, I’m not so sure the French fans would have given that a second look.

On 14/04/2021 at 13:09, Lurkst said:

Walter-Smith.jpg

45 years ago tonight, Dumbarton's Walter Smith bullets a header into his own net to give Hearts the lead in a Scottish Cup semi final replay. 

First game ended 0-0 and Sons really should have won it. Astonishing to think that if we had we'd have been in Europe

On 23 April 2021 at 16:31, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was reading a paper from the day after the 2nd replay and it mentioned that there was a murder on a Glasgow to London train on the Friday before the 1979 match with the Auld Enemy at Wembley on the Saturday. A 20 year old from Cumnock was killed on an overcrowded BR football special...Any recollection of a febrile atmosphere on the way down to London in 79? Has there been a P&B thread on Auld Enemy recollections? I think that would be great thread...

Untitle1d.thumb.png.c1e5ace59192d8a9d8d832edf5bc08b5.png

By 1979 those football special trains leaving Glasgow were ned central. 

I'm talking gangs here. Every pavement pirate/pickpocket in Glasgow was aboard those trains. Might seems a bit odd now but other than the British Rail special trains the bigger supporters groups in Scotland ran their own trains. And quite rightly too. I think the Rangers Supporters Association at one point had six special trains going to Wembley . Celtic had four and Hearts and Hibs one each. Sure Aberdeen ran a train. Remember that was on top of anything British Rail put on. You were risking life and limb on a British Rail train to Wembley unless of course you  were a paid member of the Bridgeton Derry/Cumbie/Maryhill Fleet/Shamrock gang. Think there was a number of stabbing/slashing incidents in 75/77/79. Add in 300/400 buses departing from various pubs across Scotland all meeting up in those motorway service stations. Certainly wasn't for the faint hearted.

I personally never went back after 1979.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Given what public toilets were like in France in the seventies, I’m not so sure the French fans would have given that a second look.

Fair point .....👍

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:
Anyone down at this one?  [mention=48577]kingjoey[/mention] ?

England-vs-Scotland-Programme-April-1897.thumb.jpg.1e59b8fd1751db915f315f4a33e4025e.jpg

No information about the colour of the English players knickers?

As Scotland won, I would say various shades of brown...

That programme and the names on it chime with a lot of the reading I am doing at the moment - inspired by the list of all the Scotland internationalists in chronological order at https://twitter.com/scotlandcaps on the twitter. Fascinating reading abut these guys and seeing their pictures really brings them to life.

The page http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scot-intres.html has a lot more detail on every Scotland match to date. 

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:
3 hours ago, Northboy said:

Interesting that the two Corinthians players for England are the only players listed with their initials. 

Maybe they were amateurs?

Probably something along those lines although Lambie from Queen's Park is only listed by surname. Were QP amateur in those days?