A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

TOMMY-COYNE-SCORES-WINNER-V-GERS-FEB-25-

Ahead of today's last 16 clash, here's Tommy Coyne about to score Celtic's winner with his posterior against Rangers at the same stage in 1990.

It was the first time in 20 years the Old Firm had met outside the Scottish Cup final, and it happened again in the next two seasons.

46 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Ahead of today's last 16 clash, here's Tommy Coyne about to score Celtic's winner with his posterior against Rangers at the same stage in 1990.

It was the first time in 20 years the Old Firm had met outside the Scottish Cup final, and it happened again in the next two seasons.

Was that, purely coincidentally, around the time they started broadcasting the draws live?

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was that, purely coincidentally, around the time they started broadcasting the draw live?

Didn't they used to heat the two balls corresponding to the Old Firm to make sure they wouldn't be drawn together? 

Edited by Piquet
Typo

11 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was that, purely coincidentally, around the time they started broadcasting the draws live?

4 hours ago, Piquet said:

Didn't they used to heat the two balls corresponding to the Old Firm to make sure they wouldn't be drawn together? 

The term "sticky ball" certainly was used at the time. The fact the Old Firm avoided each other in 8 semi final draws out of 8 in that 20 year period is a bit more than suspicious. 

They did get drawn together in the 1978 quarter finals, but Celtic lost a replay at Rugby Park against then part time Killie, meaning Rangers had to bin the 50,000 tickets they'd already printed for the game that weekend 🤭

quMriULHhIln2WKI57tWPN7yJDWMg9CXGoqSz1LE

Edited by Lurkst

18 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The term "sticky ball" certainly was used at the time. The fact the Old Firm avoided each other in 8 semi final draws out of 8 in that 20 year period is a bit more than suspicious. 

They did get drawn together in the 1978 quarter finals, but Celtic lost a replay at Rugby Park against then part time Killie, meaning Rangers had to bin the 50,000 tickets they'd already printed for the game that weekend 🤭

Ibrox held more than 50,000 until the summer of 1978

42 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Ibrox held more than 50,000 until the summer of 1978

True, although I checked and the crowd at the derby match in January that year was 51,000.

Some great pictures of the last Old Firm game before Ibrox was flattened...

GW568H645

GW682H559

GW608H517

GW830H539

Celtic fans attempted to invade the pitch and get the game stopped due to the standard of refereeing...

GW921H593

Edited by Lurkst

13 hours ago, Lurkst said:

12 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Struggling to imagine how he knocks the ball into the net with his posterior while looking at the photo tbh.

The picture doesn't show the point of the original post but, I remember watching it at the time and it's on YouTube but Joe Miller had a shot from the corner of the box that Chris Woods got a hand to and Coyne slides in and bundled the ball over the line with a sort of combination of his thigh and arse, he slides into the net with the ball and, upon getting back to his feet to run off and celebrate a raging Bomber Broon booted him up the arse 😆

Back in the days before compliance officers etc so no retrospective ban for Brown.

Thing that also sticks in my mind from that game is it was live on STV who had, as their studio guest Jack Charlton, during the pre match chit chat he commented how he had travelled up to Glasgow on the train that morning and, upon arriving at Glasgow Central he had some banter with both sets of fans and said....on live television....

"Both sets of fans were great with me, the Celtic lads like me because I'm the Republic of Ireland manager and the Rangers fans like me because I'm a Protestant..." 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

Cue a very flustered Jim White hurriedly announcing an advert break where, no doubt Jack was given a "Don't go there for fucks sake" type of instruction from the producer..!

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

That was a great night as was the victory over St Mirren in the previous round. The icing on the cake was Roy Aitken getting sent off. 

36 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

True, although I checked and the crowd at the derby match in January that year was 51,000.

Some great pictures of the last Old Firm game before Ibrox was flattened...

GW568H645

GW682H559

GW608H517

GW830H539

Celtic fans attempted to invade the pitch and get the game stopped due to the standard of refereeing...

GW921H593

Remember it well, i was there.

Dennis Canavan taught at Ally Dick's school at one point, I wonder if that connection helped set up this trip to Westminster. 

Is that Ally Dick in the back row, first left, John Robertson front row, third from right, and Paul McStay then John Sludden 6th and 7th?

Recognise Les Donaldson, now president at Linlithgow Rose back row second from right, who was one of the Schools FA coaches.

On 14/04/2021 at 08:45, Sergeant Wilson said:

I had the one on the right with an "Airdrie badge". My first before that, was the best, college style but lined. Lost in a fight with bouncers and Thistle supporters at Strathclyde Uni years later.

Facts you made up thread for this pish. Thistle fans only drink in the west end.

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Dennis Canavan taught at Ally Dick's school at one point, I wonder if that connection helped set up this trip to Westminster. 

Is that Ally Dick in the back row, first left, John Robertson front row, third from right, and Paul McStay then John Sludden 6th and 7th?

Recognise Les Donaldson, now president at Linlithgow Rose back row second from right, who was one of the Schools FA coaches.

Ally Dick was a year or two above my brother at St Modans in Stirling, the school I also went to which Denis Canavan taught at as you mention, both my parents attended as well during the 1950's/60's where Fergus McCann's dad... Fergus Snr was the rector.  His son also went there. As well as the aforementioned others other notable attendees include Billy Bremner and John Philiben, a school with a fair amount of footballing talent in it over the years.

My brother played in the school team which won the Scottish school's cup in 1982... a few players in that team went onto play professional football, Robert Philiben (Forfar Athletic and Stirling Albion), Gordon Connolly (Ross County) John McCormack (Falkirk, Meadowbank Thistle and Stirling Albion) and Brian Ross (Airdrie and East Stirlingshire)

On 18/04/2021 at 23:15, Lurkst said:

GW921H593

On 18/04/2021 at 23:52, Tutankhamen said:

Remember it well, i was there.

Started the trouble, imho...