A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Just out of interest after seeing the segregation fence, is the area to the left of that photo where they away fans went? I’m unsure when the stand at the Caledonia Street end got built, but it must have been before the time of strict building regulations, because the steepness of that stand was ridiculous. I would go down to the concourse behind the goals during the game to meet up with pals from school, and I could have done with a Sherpa and an oxygen tank to get back up to the pie stalls at the top. 

It was covered by regulations but I think from memory its was at the legal maximum

A superb view.

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The fence was installed for the start of the 77/78 season, our first in the Premier Division.

It was installed because in the pervious season Dundee United fans arrived early and tried to take the North Bank. They went home yelping after an eviction and a 4-1 scudding.

ETA...

They got in early and stayed the whole game.

5 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Stevie McIntyre tussles with Joe Tortolano(?) in the Scottish Cup in 1985. Hibs scored an injury time goal to win 1-0. My first experience of Sunday football due to Hearts being at home too I think. Might have been the rugby mind you. 

FB_IMG_1613487740309.jpg

Not being a Hibs fan, I thought it was Kevin McKee but you're correct... Here he is sporting a fine East German-esque mullet with a pair of Hi-Tec Badmintons... 

img.jpeg.c814d1870396ddd80400fb6b97dc8f77.jpeg

On 18/02/2021 at 03:46, Arch Stanton said:

The fence was installed for the start of the 77/78 season, our first in the Premier Division.

It was installed because in the pervious season Dundee United fans arrived early and tried to take the North Bank. They went home yelping after an eviction and a 4-1 scudding.

Aye, that cup match. What I mind was a few scuffles, a bit of to and froing from youngsters on the terraces at the back of us, and I heard there had been some chasing around the steps well before kick off, but the by the game itself it was just a boisterous cup crowd, full of January high spirits and alcohol.

The game was delayed to let in the unexpectedly large crowd, which added to the tensions. I always enjoyed the visits to Paisley at St Mirren Park, not so much these days.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aye, that cup match. What I mind was a few scuffles, a bit of to and froing from youngsters on the terraces at the back of us, and I heard there had been some chasing around the steps well before kick off, but the by the game itself it was just a boisterous cup crowd, full of January high spirits and alcohol.

The game was delayed to let in the unexpectedly large crowd, which added to the tensions. I always enjoyed the visits to Paisley at St Mirren Park, not so much these days.

Yeah, thats pretty much how I remember it too.

Almost 17k at the game.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah, thats pretty much how I remember it too.

Almost 17k at the game.

Yeah fair play to Saints.

Their away support in particular for the rest of the season ( not just Fir Park ) was sensational.

Friend of mine travelled all the way from Dumfries to Dens in midweek for Div 1 promotion or Championship, without any way of getting home that night.

On 17/02/2021 at 23:39, Jumbo Muir said:

Now this is one for the older posters.
Does anyone remember Brian Marsjbanks (I’m sure there was a j in there) pronounced Marshbanks who presented Sportreel ?
Struggling to find anything on the internet.

Aye, I remember him, but that's not how you spell it, (I thought it was pronounce Marchbanks.)

On 18/02/2021 at 18:24, highland_mechanic said:

Pittodrie hosting Aberdeen v Dundee in the Scottish Cup in 1931. Crowd 28,000.

151467207_3699026396855755_6925221884785314938_o.jpg

Looks more than 28,000, but, according to the AFC Heritage site it was 28,000. (28,527 to be precise.)

ETA: A lot of interesting stuff about the match on that site. but I can't copy and paste it for some reason.

http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=1535&season=1930-31&squad=Senior

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 17/02/2021 at 23:39, Jumbo Muir said:

Now this is one for the older posters.
Does anyone remember Brian Marsjbanks (I’m sure there was a j in there) pronounced Marshbanks who presented Sportreel ?
Struggling to find anything on the internet.

Brian Marjoribanks played for Hibs then Hearts in the early 60s, brief careers at each. He was a centre forward, and I think he scored in an Edinburgh derby. At Easter Road he played beside future Scotland manager Ally Mcleod. He signed for Aberdeen, who had a fixture backlog due due the severe winter of 62-63, but for some reason Rangers objected to him playing against them, and he was released: http://www.afcheritage.org/Team/CurrentSquad/player_show.cfm?player_id=8140&Season=1962-63

Peculiarly perhaps, he gave the game up at an early point to work in theatre, which led him, via appearing in Dr Finlay's Casebook (as Tannochbrae United's star footballer), to BBC Scotland's sports department. He was the first presenter on Sportsound on the radio, and Sportsreel, forerunner to Sportscene.

His son, also Brian, is a sports journalist.

Brian Marjoribanks.jpeg