A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

I'm not really sure where to post this (other than here, obviously) as I can't find a non-pictoral history thread, so apologies if this is in the wrong place (and apologies if it has been previously posted): an article from Atlas Obscura on Hampden Bowling Club, 'the location of the first Hampden'.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/scottish-soccer-archaeology?utm_source=Atlas+Obscura+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=60405550ea-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_02_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f36db9c480-60405550ea-71840170&mc_cid=60405550ea&mc_eid=e0909054ca

On 08/02/2021 at 18:01, paulbrucerick said:

That crowd man!

By the time I got to a Scotland game the capacity was down to about 60,000 and there was only a roof over the West Terrace.  I still remember, though, being quite awed by the 'bowl' of people

Brilliant video that ....... and the BBC style commentary .... 👍

22 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Embra derby action from 1990.

Who I can make out Left to right. 

?, Goram, McLeod, Robertson, Houchen, McPherson, Hamilton,?, Berry.

I'm sure one of the older Hibs posters can identify the two Hibees I'm struggling to name. 

FB_IMG_1613071079959.jpg

The hidden Hearts player to the left of McGraw might be Wayne Foster.

McGraw is the son of Allan McGraw and cost Hibs a few notes from Morton and was one of those young players who was going to be the next big thing.

49 appearances for Hibs and 3 goals in 5 years...

His career stats suggest someone oft affected by injuries- 142 appearances in 13 years, which is an average of about 11 games a year.

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The hidden Hearts player to the left of McGraw might be Wayne Foster.

McGraw is the son of Allan McGraw and cost Hibs a few notes from Morton and was one of those young players who was going to be the next big thing.

49 appearances for Hibs and 3 goals in 5 years...

His career stats suggest someone oft affected by injuries- 142 appearances in 13 years, which is an average of about 11 games a year.

Aye, I knew his dad was the Morton goalscoring legend and manager in the 1980's and 90's. 

He is also, sadly just as well known for being horrifically affected by taking tons of cortisone pain killing injections to play through his severe knee injuries back in his playing days, the injections themselves weren't what harmed him but the toll of playing when he really shouldn't have, he ended up on crutches by the time he was in his forties and his mobility in later life was limited to say the least, still living at the ripe old age of 81 though happily. 

Aye, Allan McGraw seemed to be a Good Guy. His Morton teams had some good players.
Always beat Meadowbank, the b*****ds [emoji38]
Morton were a cracking side to watch in those days. They developed a series of excellent prospects through the 80s and 90s iirc. Jim Duffy, Derek McInnes, Brian Reid, Kevin McGoldrick and several others. I can't remember much about McGraw other than him being quite highly rated despite never being that prolific.

Love this picture of Allan McGraw 

image.jpeg.2537e4951d4a34e8d6914d4277e48960.jpeg

He was prolific unlike his progeny. 

In season 1963-64 McGraw hit a remarkable 58 goals in 48 games for the Cappielow club, gaining the accolade of being the top goal scorer in Britain.

3 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Aberdeen fans head to Pittodrie for a match vs Celtic in the 30s. From P&J

image.thumb.png.ebfc7401f91e3f0deb7e41d23f3a1dd5.png

Where the flats start on the left,you can see a small lane.two bliocks up from there was where I had my first flat...handy for the fitba.

Guest TheJTS98
On 01/02/2021 at 02:17, Monkey Tennis said:

I assume tens of thousands of Glaswegians just attended these big games habitually back then, regardless of who was playing? 

I think this is very much the case. My grandfather was a Clyde man but attended 24 out of 25 Scottish Cup Finals in a row from the 50s into the 70s. As well as numerous Rangers and Celtic European games. Missed the one cup final with a broken leg. He had a tremendous match programme collection.

23 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

IMG_20210213_133340.thumb.jpg.a5a5978222b712d493cffda6aecd35fd.jpg

I was at Easter Road that day as Hibs laboured to a 2-0 win over the Pars. Just at the end somebody in the Cowshed must have had a radio as a chant of "Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton" started from the back. This spread to the East Terrace as people cottoned on to the news.

It may be faulty memory but I'm sure it was also the one time I can remember the knackered scoreboard on top of the Cowshed roof actually working as it came up with the score "Rangers 0 Hamilton 1". Maybe an ancient Hibee can confirm.

Guest TheJTS98
34 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was at Easter Road that day as Hibs laboured to a 2-0 win over the Pars. Just at the end somebody in the Cowshed must have had a radio as a chant of "Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton" started from the back. This spread to the East Terrace as people cottoned on to the news.

It may be faulty memory but I'm sure it was also the one time I can remember the knackered scoreboard on top of the Cowshed roof actually working as it came up with the score "Rangers 0 Hamilton 1". Maybe an ancient Hibee can confirm.

There's nothing like a good Old Firm humiliation to put a smile on the face.

I remember the day Ross County beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-final in 2010 (lunchtime kick-off) Hearts and Killie fans joined together in a lovely 'Let's all laugh at Celtic' rendition early in our game at Tynecastle. Warms the heart.