Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

24 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Why was it postponed? Weather looks decent enough.

Not 100% sure, just read the story on the excellent Celtic Wiki 

9 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Not 100% sure, just read the story on the excellent Celtic Wiki 

From the same source. First defeat of the European Cup winning season on Hogmanay 1966 and later in the season United  did the double over Celtic with another 3-2 win.

1967 Dundee Utd 3-2 Celtic

16 hours ago, Jason King said:

...and Fleck didn't sign for Chelsea until 1992  but why let facts get in the way of a good meltdown. Fleck also had a fairly successful overall career in England, whilst Robertson shat the bed when faced with a higher level of football and couldn't get back up the road to the lesser leagues quick enough. 

Never really shat the bed though. Willie McFaul tried to play him as a number 10.

Lesser Hampden was a farm...E-I-E-I-O

FB_IMG_1520974417353.jpg.fcbfc4cd4ecccab973114b2efd5e2cfe.jpgFB_IMG_1520974423070.thumb.jpg.a5dc09319dac11f7d930dc6dbb019604.jpg

20 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Why was it postponed? Weather looks decent enough.

Saturday 30th March 1985 got hit by torrential rain.

Of full 19-game league program only Aberdeen, Ayr, Hamilton and QotS survived plus reserve league OF derby (was it hastily arranged?).

EDIT: Rearrangement on Wednesday 1st May ended 1-1 (despite Rangers having 9-men), confirming Aberdeen as champions, and was followed by the "Battle of Janefield Street" rioting and mounted police charges.

GW951H665

GW978H637

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 3/13/2018 at 12:48, Flybhoy said:

Jimmy Bone  , who comes from the same Stirlingshire village as me, Fallin, holds the Anglo Scottish Cup, won by St Mirren in 1979 against Bristol City, the only Scottish club to win it in its short existence. 

FB_IMG_1520931896522.jpg

I was at that game as I watched a lot of St Mirren home games at that time, as well as many Killie ones.  The final was actually in April 1980 and was a repeat of the 1977/78 final.

I think Tony Fitzpatrick played in both finals but for different teams, losing both times.

On 14/03/2018 at 05:32, LincolnHearts said:

Never really shat the bed though. Willie McFaul tried to play him as a number 10.

I watched that team during my first year as a student in Newcastle.

They'd spent big that summer and were hopeless.  McFaul didn't last long and the season ended in relegation.  It was a shame that Robertson wound up back so soon though.

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I watched that team during my first year as a student in Newcastle.

They'd spent big that summer and were hopeless.  McFaul didn't last long and the season ended in relegation.  It was a shame that Robertson wound up back so soon though.

Really hoped he was going to do well, but never had a prayer in the position he was played. Can remember crying with joy when it was announced that he was coming back to Hearts :wub:

3 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Really hoped he was going to do well, but never had a prayer in the position he was played. Can remember crying with joy when it was announced that he was coming back to Hearts :wub:

It wasn't a bad 3 months.  Signed Robbo and Tosh McK in December for a combined total of 1million then beat Bayern in the Feb.

Oh but for those days to return.

1 minute ago, Tynieness said:

It wasn't a bad 3 months.  Signed Robbo and Tosh McK in December for a combined total of 1million then beat Bayern in the Feb.

Oh but for those days to return.

Don't think we'll see the likes again. 

2 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Don't think we'll see the likes again. 

Sadly not.  It was a great time for Scottish clubs in Europe before the game changed and cash became king.

Alex MacDonald pictured with Kevin Keegan before kick off at Doddie's testimonial.

Memories from that night include Doddie and Keegan being introduced to the crowd after the rest of the players had came onto the pitch, Davie Bowman wearing the number 6 shirt for Hearts and Keegan giving his shirt to Jock Wallace on the Rangers bench when he was subbed off.

Kevin Keegan in Alex MacDonald testimonial 1984 c.jpg

10 hours ago, Enigma said:

IMG_1521168748.669823.jpg

Good bit of Fife Beer Festival action there. Obviously sampled The Prince of Darkness shortly before the photo was taken.

Hearts%20John%20McGlynn

There are no words.