A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 23/01/2021 at 20:07, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Armstrong played over 1000 first class games didn't he?

Think number 1000 was at Ibrox?

I wonder which other players have made that milestone. Malpas?

I was at the game where he got the record- it was Stenny v Shire 

I wore my Meadowbank scarf. This was about three years after we'd been Blobbified.

Stenny guy "Haw you, is that an Alloa scarf"

Me "Naw, it's Meadowbank"

Stenny guy "Oh really, there's a guy over there with a Third Lanark scarf on too.."

Cnut!

18 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The man on the right did...

Large

Tommy Hutchison tries to squeeze a cross past West Germany's Paul Breitner during a friendly in Frankfurt, March 1974.

Tommy holds what must be a unique record in that he made his league debut in his teens, his international debut in his twenties, his national cup final debut in his thirties, and his European debut in his forties!

I remember hearing George Galloway wittering away as an inexplicable guest on Sportsound a year or two back.  He was reminiscing about the 1974 World Cup and saying that Hutchison had been unearthed because despite being English, he had a Scottish granny or something.

Absolute rubbish.  He was from central Scotland and started his career with Alloa.

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was at the game where he got the record- it was Stenny v Shire 

I wore my Meadowbank scarf. This was about three years after we'd been Blobbified.

Stenny guy "Haw you, is that an Alloa scarf"

Me "Naw, it's Meadowbank"

Stenny guy "Oh really, there's a guy over there with a Third Lanark scarf on too.."

Cnut!

Brilliant !

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I remember hearing George Galloway wittering away as an inexplicable guest on Sportsound a year or two back.  He was reminiscing about the 1974 World Cup and saying that Hutchison had been unearthed because despite being English, he had a Scottish granny or something.

Absolute rubbish.  He was from central Scotland and started his career with Alloa.

Cardenen in Fife to be precise. 

His international debut was actually the night we qualified for the 74 World Cup, with another Fifer, George Connelly also receiving his first cap in that Czechoslovakia game...

Scotland+1973+1.jpg

(The eagle eyed among you will notice that team isn't from the Czech game as Harvey is in goals and not Hunter. It's in fact from Connelly's other cap v West Germany in November 73).

Edited by Lurkst

Paul McStay in Israel in 1986 in a rather smart Scotland away kit.  I actually got both home and away strips the previous Christmas I recall as a kid, complete with the band around the shorts which were much ridiculed at the time but seem to have become all retro trendy. 

Also after that match we never played Israel for over 30 years until recently where we seem to have played them about 69 times in the last three years. 

IMG_20210128_150113.jpg

Kevin Keegan taking part in John Robertson's testimonial, I don't recall that Hearts strip or sponsor from that era, was it a one off for this match?
IMG_20210128_114028.thumb.jpg.b613fc5d710cab97bc76083c0613c813.jpg
On a podcast I listen to I vaguely remember them talking about this game and the one off strip so I believe so.

On 26/01/2021 at 22:07, Lurkst said:

The man on the right did...

Large

Tommy Hutchison tries to squeeze a cross past West Germany's Paul Breitner during a friendly in Frankfurt, March 1974.

Tommy holds what must be a unique record in that he made his league debut in his teens, his international debut in his twenties, his national cup final debut in his thirties, and his European debut in his forties!

Funny, I always thought that game was at Hampden. We drew and played well I think?

Also, look at that beautiful Scotland strip.

PS:  Is Paul Breitner the only Commie full-back to score in 2 World Cup finals?

43 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Funny, I always thought that game was at Hampden. We drew and played well I think?

Also, look at that beautiful Scotland strip.

PS:  Is Paul Breitner the only Commie full-back to score in 2 World Cup finals?

Played the Western Germans the year before, 1973, at Hampden in a Friendly. A draw as well, Big Jim Holton ('s after you) scored our goal (6' 2 Eyes of Blue).

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Played the Western Germans the year before, 1973, at Hampden in a Friendly. A draw as well, Big Jim Holton ('s after you) scored our goal (6' 2 Eyes of Blue).

I think we lost 2 - 1 in W. Germany

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Paul McStay in Israel in 1986 in a rather smart Scotland away kit.  I actually got both home and away strips the previous Christmas I recall as a kid, complete with the band around the shorts which were much ridiculed at the time but seem to have become all retro trendy. 

Also after that match we never played Israel for over 30 years until recently where we seem to have played them about 69 times in the last three years. 

IMG_20210128_150113.jpg

We usually beat the occupiers of Palestine back then

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20210128_150113.jpg

I still have that one somewhere. I bought it in a sale for a tenner c1988.

It doesn't fit me now....

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20210128_150113.jpg

He also scored the winner that day.

Literally minutes after full time the Challenger Space Shuttle blew up, I remember watching both events.

PS...in a bizarre coincidence, the only failed manned space launch since was the aborted Soyuz mission on 11th October 2018, which was the next date that we played in Israel!

Edited by Lurkst