A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

30 minutes ago, Eednud said:

This might be it.

Some great players on display there. Typical Scotland, beat the world champs at Wembley then lose in Belfast.

A win that day would've been enough to qualify us for the Euro playoffs 😖

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well, they are the Irish Football Association.

There's a clip somewhere of the crowd chanting "Ireland, Ireland" at the Northern Ireland v Scotland match in 1967(?).

I'm sure the same chant is evident a little later when Northern Ireland played against England.  It was that game where Best nicked it from Banks as he was about to kick it from his hands, before heading it in.  It got disallowed though.

What year was that - about 70ish?  The footage is certainly in colour.

On 23 August 2020 at 09:01, The Mantis said:

I was at Ibrox that day and the man with the wee barrow put up the half times, 0-4. Everybody thought it was a mistake or just his wee joke. Nobody expected teams to beat Jock Stein's Celtic back then, especially in a Final. Plenty people would have expected them to come back and win the game. But Rovers, people at least thought they had a chance with the team they had.

Big team found without even a hint of irony.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm sure the same chant is evident a little later when Northern Ireland played against England.  It was that game where Best nicked it from Banks as he was about to kick it from his hands, before heading it in.  It got disallowed though.

What year was that - about 70ish?  The footage is certainly in colour.

May 1971.

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Some great players on display there. Typical Scotland, beat the world champs at Wembley then lose in Belfast.

A win that day would've been enough to qualify us for the Euro playoffs 😖

One of the great players was George unfortunately

In addition , just to be horrible , the lowlights might include Ian Ure rushing out to tackle George and getting nowhere near

Edited by ewan14

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtic and rangers players at the City Chambers. 

9BE7C46B-F01D-4CC4-8C4A-9F4A97C4C197.jpeg

Crerand ? , Greig , Gemmill , ? , Henderson , Murdoch ? , W. Johnston

Mmmm the first one might be Billy McNeil actually

Edited by ewan14

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Big team found without even a hint of irony.

Jeez, what's eating you Tut 😂
I was about 14 at the time, it's no secret by any means but it's a chapter of my life that's irrelevant now I'm an auld c**t. You can find my thoughts about Rangers in a few places, but certainly the Ibrox Disaster thread. Page 3 if you're bothered.

On 01/07/2020 at 21:33, Flybhoy said:

Having a debate on clubs wearing change kits etc on Twitter and how often it was the home team who changed in instances of a clash up till the early 1980's, certainly ive seen plenty photos and footage of Celtic wearing change kits at Celtic Park in games v Morton, Kilmarnock, Ayr United, St Mirren and others...

This picture of Andy Ritchie has sparked a bit of debate, I haven't been to Cappielow in about 20 years but I'm sure this picture is taken at Rugby Park meaning Kilmarnock are at home to Morton, not the other way round as a pal is suggesting, any older posters able to help here and possibly name the other players too?

IMG_20200701_212637.jpg

It's Cappielow.

From around 1977 - 1982 the home team changed in the event of a clash. After that the "change kit" became known as an "away kit".

Here's Celtic v Morton on the opening day

451535159_1979.8.11Celtic3-2Morton(7).thumb.jpg.215a23e5bfee2a985db1fcef855f9528.jpg

Here's Morton v Celtic a few months later

417204913_1979_10.20Morton1-0Celtic(11).thumb.jpg.3c5b9f022bd91a59d428a3a96390508f.jpg

Even the Renfrewshire Cup Final at the end of 78-79 saw us change for St. Mirren's visit (I loved that kit).

767716205_1979.5.5MortonvSt.Mirren(3).jpg.f906759a8a640d892803a59be79c03c2.jpg

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Would they not have had to pay more tax as a result ?

I think the evidence is that bunch of clowns were completely incapable of running a business in such a way that  it would ever have to pay tax? I.e.  make a profit.