A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 21/07/2019 at 08:20, Walter said:
On 20/07/2019 at 11:44, williebhoy said:

DAVID HARVEY PARTICK THISTLE
3bcc8c28b836d8741ae30cdc5b7d74e8.jpg&key=74f03927882f8f72c3ecb8b3ca6f6ca1604f14c11655ea57e27e10a927b36c92

I remember that game. It was at Shawfield and finished 1-0 to Clyde. It was Harvey's one and only game for any Scottish club I believe.

Am behind on this thread and this may have been corrected, but Harvey played three games for us on loan during season 86-87 when both David Wylie and Robin Turner were injured.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was talking about inter-league games in general. Australia played the League of Ireland in Dublin in 1970 while on tour. (They played Luton on Mon, Man City on Wed and LofI on Fri).

I see. As an aside that Australian tour started in Noumea, New Caledonia on 23 October 1970 with last match against Mexico at the Azteca Stadium on 3 December. As well as the places already mentioned games were also played in Hong Kong, Macao,Iran, Israel and Greece. Grand total of 15 games. Scottish born players in the Aussie squad were Jack Reilly (GK - Stonehaven, Inverurie Locos, Hibs), Jim MacKay (MID - Bonnyrigg Rose, Airdrie), George Blues (FWD - Falkirk, Berwick Rangers, Raith Rovers, Alloa Athletic), Sandy Irvine (DEF - Montrose), David Keddie (FWD - Bayview YC, East Fife, Nairn Thistle, Alloa Athletic, Forfar Athletic).

Edited by Eednud

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Amazing how so many of these guys were signed from Junior teams.  Changed days, and not necessarily for the better.

In those days apparently you couldn't drop into junior football from senior football unless you'd previously been junior. (It was called reinstatement - it lingered on in an adapted form until very recently).

So it was effectively in a players own interest to play junior for a brief period in case they ultimately didn't cut it.

I read a player's autobiography (forget who - perhaps Alex Ferguson?) which mentions that his father was furious when he signed straight for a senior club from his boys/juvenile team.

26 minutes ago, Eednud said:

I see. As an aside that Australian tour started in Noumea, New Caledonia on 23 October 1970 with last match against Mexico at the Azteca Stadium on 3 December. As well as the places already mentioned games were also played in Hong Kong, Macao,Iran, Israel and Greece. Grand total of 15 games. Scottish born players in the Aussie squad were Jack Reilly (GK - Stonehaven, Inverurie Locos, Hibs), Jim MacKay (MID - Bonnyrigg Rose, Airdrie), George Blues (FWD - Falkirk, Berwick Rangers, Raith Rovers, Alloa Athletic), Sandy Irvine (DEF - Montrose), David Keddie (FWD - Bayview YC, East Fife, Nairn Thistle, Alloa Athletic, Forfar Athletic).

Interesting.

They returned in November 1976 playing Sunderland and Birmingham on consecutive nights.

Edited by HibeeJibee

22 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They returned in November 1976 playing Sunderland and Birmingham on consecutive nights.

Walk in the park that tour only 11 games and 8 countries between 20 Oct and 16 Nov. The only Scottish born player was Jimmy Rooney (MID - Lochee Harp, Montrose)

18 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

By the same artist. Derek Whiteford and Kenny Dalglish run away laughing after having done something terrible to Peter Latchford. Willie McCulloch looks on shocked. Willie was the last player to wear a monocle...and have an aeroplane drawn on his shorts...probably for luck.b5df2db1d5299e559eb56b91b1f83d76.jpg

I was there. Billy McNeill's last game.

On 28/12/2020 at 00:07, HibeeJibee said:

Fair point.

Steve Clarke and Pat Nevin were unused subs in that "Mercantile Credit Centenary Classic". It drew a more respectable 61,000.

Game is on YouTube (sadly Scotland v Scottish League isn't). If you don't want to watch the match the opening few minutes are the players being announced and running out in turn. It was some team:

Fair play to Maradona turning up a year after the Hand of God goal. Totally unfazed by the reception. 

The English league could certainly put out some side if they did it now, actual England players would be in the minority though.

On 27/12/2020 at 22:43, HibeeJibee said:

Wednesday 1st November 1978
Scottish League 1-1 Irish League

at Fir Park, Motherwell - 4,427
Scorers: Pettigrew - Armstrong

Scottish League: Rough (Partick), Narey (Dundee Utd), Burns (Celtic), Stevens (Motherwell), Hegarty (Dundee Utd), Thomson (Morton), Houston (Partick), Bannon (Hearts), Pettigrew (Motherwell), McAdam (Celtic) [sub Somner (Partick)], Marinello (Motherwell)

Irish League: Barclay (Linfield), Kennedy (Ards) [sub McManus (Larne)], Cromie (Ards), Walsh (Glentoran), Rafferty (Linfield), Cleary (Portadown), Sloan (Ballymena), Dornan (Linfield), Armstrong (Ards), Dickson (Coleraine), Murray (Linfield) [sub Nixon (Linfield)]

004a.jpg

Seeing that and the fact it's actually the Northern Irish league reminds me of my first Scotland away game (which was actually at Hampden)...

Northern-Ireland-v-Scotland-1978-British

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Seeing that and the fact it's actually the Northern Irish league reminds me of my first Scotland away game (which was actually at Hampden)...

Northern-Ireland-v-Scotland-1978-British

40 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

I bet that programme caused quite a conversation on both sides of the border.  Funnily enough I was looking out a United programme the other day and came across that very programme and never noticed that.  I was even at the match.

Obviously the programme substantially post-dates this: but it was only in 1953 that FIFA ordered the 2 nations to refer to themselves as respectively "Northern Ireland" and as "Republic of Ireland" or "Eire". Until then they both generally played as "Ireland" and called-up players from anywhere on the island. Several featured for both in WC 1950 qualifying.

It hadn't been much of an issue previously - the Home Nations weren't in FIFA from 1924 until 1946.

EDIT: That said looking at my runs of Scotland Amateur and British Army programmes - Northern Ireland are consistently referred to as "Ireland" at home or away right through 1950s, 1960s and even into 1970s.

Edited by HibeeJibee

21 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I was at that game when McGillivray gave Celtic a dubious free-kick in the last minute, which they scored from.  Last time I went to a league match at Parkhead until 2018 due to repeated bias/incompetence of Scottish referees.

According to the great unwashed all referees in this country are against them. Which begs the question , how did they manage to win so many trophies.?

And of course the foreign referees are anti Celtic also.  

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Obviously the programme substantially post-dates this: but it was only in 1953 that FIFA ordered the 2 nations to refer to themselves as respectively "Northern Ireland" and as "Republic of Ireland" or "Eire". Until then they both generally played as "Ireland" and called-up players from anywhere on the island. Several featured for both in WC 1950 qualifying.

It hadn't been much of an issue previously - the Home Nations weren't in FIFA from 1924 until 1946.

EDIT: That said looking at my runs of Scotland Amateur and British Army programmes - Northern Ireland are consistently referred to as "Ireland" at home or away right through 1950s, 1960s and even into 1970s.

According to this page the IFA were still able to use "Ireland" in the Home Internationals until 1971. Not sure why it was still happening in 1978 though?...

https://pyroonthepitch.com/2019/06/07/people-on-the-pitch-11-northern-ireland-vs-italy-friendly-match-04-12-1957/

(Worth reading further down the page about the bizarre Northern Ireland v Italy World Cup qualifier that was downgraded to a friendly shortly before kick-off!)

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

(Worth reading further down the page about the bizarre Northern Ireland v Italy World Cup qualifier that was downgraded to a friendly shortly before kick-off!)

I'd heard of that incident with the fog-bound ref.

To be precise - in the "Big Book of Football Champions 1958"!

vintage-childrens-book-big-book_360_719f

Same year as the Munich disaster:

My recollection is that Wales also qualified for WC 1958 when - having been eliminated in qualifying - a 'lucky loser' was drawn to face Israel in a playoff.

Edited by HibeeJibee

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well, they are the Irish Football Association.

There's a clip somewhere of the crowd chanting "Ireland, Ireland" at the Northern Ireland v Scotland match in 1967(?).