A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

16 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Drew Busby must've been the last Thirds player to play in the top division (or any division tbh).

I know Ally McLeod played when he was about 60 but it was a reserve game.

Quite an illustrious former player they had as manager when they folded. 

Edited by Silverton End

6 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Drew Busby must've been the last Thirds player to play in the top division (or any division tbh).

I know Ally McLeod played when he was about 60 but it was a reserve game.

He did it for QotS against another of his former clubs, St. Mirren.

Saints were 7-0 up and the 67 year old Ally came on as a sub. Finished 7-1.

6 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Pretty sure it's just a reproduction, the large Dumbarton crest in the background is modern, quite a nice thing though for a couple of quid.

All those team sheets are modern productions. (There were ones for Thirds' cup winning game back in the 1900s, and for their defeat by Rangers, 1936?)

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

David Syme giving Souness a red card at Celtic Park in 1987 after the *** player manager tried to amputate Billy Stark's leg, must have broken Syme's heart to do that, he had a man of the match performance for them in the previous years League Cup final. 

IMG_20201202_124541.jpg

So " hard " he picked on Billy Stark

11 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Is that a reserve game? My older brother was trying & failing to indoctrinate me back then & I always seem to remember it being a lot fuller than that.

No, it’s the away end, could’ve been one of the smaller teams, possibly  Clydebank, Morton etc Whi were in top league back then. There was also high unemployment and poor football in Glasgow around that time, Celtic park regularly had crowds around 20-25,000

16 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Replica tops were hard to come by, and were only worn by kids really. Scarves were more common, but people used to get dressed up to go to the football. Best gear, shirt and tie sometimes.

Sept 68 is the given date: looks a sunny late Summer's day, maybe fans were feeling the heat. 

Supporters didn't commonly, from my recall, wear replica tops until the middle 'seventies, although the odd person here and there would appear in a club top earlier. And I think by '68 the shirt and tie had all but disappeared on the terraces.

What I do mind about scarves of that time is they were often made of Terylene, with printed badges, although the better quality versions were embroidered. I wish I hadn't lost mine.

20 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Sept 68 is the given date: looks a sunny late Summer's day, maybe fans were feeling the heat. 

Supporters didn't commonly, from my recall, wear replica tops until the middle 'seventies, although the odd person here and there would appear in a club top earlier. And I think by '68 the shirt and tie had all but disappeared on the terraces.

What I do mind about scarves of that time is they were often made of Terylene, with printed badges, although the better quality versions were embroidered. I wish I hadn't lost mine.

The Umbro diamonds on the sleeve top that Scotland wore from 76 was the first of the mass produced replica shirts if I recall correctly.  As DH says you did see the odd one here and there, I remember a dwarf in a Rangers top trying to attack the ref at Dens around 75 after Colin Stein was ordered off. Some of the worst scenes I've ever witnessed at a match that day