A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

David Syme giving Souness a red card at Celtic Park in 1987 after the *** player manager tried to amputate Billy Stark's leg, must have broken Syme's heart to do that, he had a man of the match performance for them in the previous years League Cup final. 

IMG_20201202_124541.jpg

Fun fact: 

Usain Bolt’s pose was inspired by  David Syme.

Edited by 8MileBU

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

David Syme giving Souness a red card at Celtic Park in 1987 after the *** player manager tried to amputate Billy Stark's leg, must have broken Syme's heart to do that, he had a man of the match performance for them in the previous years League Cup final. 

IMG_20201202_124541.jpg

The headline in the Sunday Mail the next day was "F**K OFF YOU POOF!" Which  apparently were Souness' words to the ref in the stand after the game.

The article finished with a disclaimer along the lines of "contrary to Mr Souness' opinion Mr Syme is a happily married man."

Different times indeed...

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

IMG_20201211_234116450.thumb.jpg.3489f6405912cc668fe0cd2d2e472907.jpg

A tin of sweets and a cheeky wee smile, Rowan Alexander is a...

... legendary Morton player.

I never paid any attention to the Gretna "fairytale" at the time. But I know that this guy is unpopular.

Apart from the ridiculous cup final Harry Lauder impersonation, what did he to to piss so many people off?

18 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Kept Alan Rough out of the Thistle team for a short time until he broke his leg at Motherwell.

1972 Dunfermline at Ochilview.jpg

18/11/1972  I think that was when that game was played - remember being there at the time. The terracing in the background is now where the Norway stand is.

Edited by Elric

Rowan Alexander became a schools football coach... After more than 12 years out the dugout, except a brief stint as assistant at Glenafton in 2010, he returned to Raydale as manager of Gretna 2008 about 1yr ago. You get the feeling he's laid a few personal footballing demons to rest.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

I never paid any attention to the Gretna "fairytale" at the time. But I know that this guy is unpopular.

Apart from the ridiculous cup final Harry Lauder impersonation, what did he to to piss so many people off?

Kept scoring against Meadowbank which pissed the me off.

Also designed a Scottish League club's current badge as a youngster...

18 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Accies v Third Lanark at Douglas Park in the Scottish Cup tie, 61-62.  Away win, 2-0.

Accies v Third Lanark in a Scottish Cup tie in the early 60's.jpg

One team and a ground gone.*

* Two grounds, I suppose

Edited by Jacksgranda

16 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Accies v Third Lanark at Douglas Park in the Scottish Cup tie, 61-62.  Away win, 2-0.

Accies v Third Lanark in a Scottish Cup tie in the early 60's.jpg

5 years later Thirds would be dead, and Accies would rise like the colossal structure being built in the background of this photo.

Eventually they went on to dominate Scottish football and win the undying love of the people of Hamilton.

F***, man. These drugs are goooooood!!

38 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

5 years later Thirds would be dead, and Accies would rise like the colossal structure being built in the background of this photo.

Eventually they went on to dominate Scottish football and win the undying love of the people of Hamilton.

F***, man. These drugs are goooooood!!

Thirds' last game was at Boghead, April 1967.

5-1 for The Sons, Drew Busby (owner of The Waverley pub in Dumbarton) scored their last competitive goal in that defeat.

Pic is a little blurry 

s-l400.jpg.8be5bc75460d91c6bc4bcff1b2cd335c.jpg

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Thirds' last game was at Boghead, April 1967.

5-1 for The Sons, Drew Busby (owner of The Waverley pub in Dumbarton) scored their last competitive goal in that defeat.

Pic is a little blurry 

s-l400.jpg.8be5bc75460d91c6bc4bcff1b2cd335c.jpg

I was looking at that team sheet on E-Bay just the other day.