A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yes Jim Brown. Right-back I think. Didn't get many games as Leishman played there. Talking about 3 Browns. I think Pars had five Smiths at one time.

Loaves and fishes springs to mind.

On 07/12/2020 at 12:37, DA Baracus said:

Paul and Andy Smith were at the club at the same time for half a season, but if they played together it was only 1 or 2 games. Andy Smith signed in 1995 but broke his leg in a preseason friendly against Bolton and was out until the end of the year. Paul Smith left in late 95. Andy Smith left in 2000.

Paul Smith is now assistant manager at Raith. No idea what Andy Smith is up to these days.

Last I heard he was a community coach with the SFA in North Lanarkshire.

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

One for the Hibs fans. Sorry if posted before. I couldn't be arsed tracking back. Worth a refresh. I love these old archives.

Famous Five

That's a really interesting film- for Gers fans there's a wee bit of footage of a Rangers v Hibs match at Ibrox near the end.

On 07/12/2020 at 13:06, tamthebam said:

With his lugs Andy Smith is avoiding strong winds in case he's blown away.

He scored 5 against Edinburgh City in a 7-2 for the Pars in the 1997 Scottish Cup, the rotter. Ian Westwater's strip is still on display in the City Social Club. 

I was at that one. Remember it well. Good stuff.

We won a penalty and the fans were chanting for Westie to take it. Total condescension looking back on it but as 12 year old I was genuinely excited at the prospect of it, not realising of course that there was no prospect of it ever happening!

Just now, DA Baracus said:

I was at that one. Remember it well. Good stuff.

We won a penalty and the fans were chanting for Westie to take it. Total condescension looking back on it but as 12 year old I was genuinely excited at the prospect of it, not realising of course that there was no prospect of it ever happening!

We actually had a 94 year old guy called Jack Turnbull come to the game. He'd played with the original City in the 1930s.

I asked our club historian later what Turnbull had been like expecting some interesting tales of football past. His reply? "Jack could put the whisky away all right..."

25 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

We actually had a 94 year old guy called Jack Turnbull come to the game. He'd played with the original City in the 1930s.

I asked our club historian later what Turnbull had been like expecting some interesting tales of football past. His reply? "Jack could put the whisky away all right..."

The secret to a long life.

On 06/12/2020 at 04:12, Dundee Hibernian said:

I remember watching them in winter around that time (72), wearing tracksuit bottoms under their shorts. Jim Leishman was playing, but I don't see him in that team photo.

1972 Dunfermline at Ochilview.jpg

The goalkeeper is John Arrol in both photographs.

Kept Alan Rough out of the Thistle team for a short time until he broke his leg at Motherwell.

3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Supporters make their way home after Celtic and Rangers match at Celtic Park, 14th September 1968. - Daily Record.

(**** won 4-2)

12200A17-1EF7-4F0C-B10B-46F66D4FAE32.jpeg

Looks like glum Celtic fans with happy guys in the truck I assume Rangers. It could use Danny Dyer in the middle providing commentary.

David Syme giving Souness a red card at Celtic Park in 1987 after the *** player manager tried to amputate Billy Stark's leg, must have broken Syme's heart to do that, he had a man of the match performance for them in the previous years League Cup final. 

IMG_20201202_124541.jpg