A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 15/11/2020 at 01:08, tamthebam said:

Can't think of that many players who were graduates, must have been a fair few over the years - Brian Hall and Steve Highway at Liverpool perhaps? 

Iain Dowie has a degree in something seriously scientific like Aeronautical Engineering. It came as a bit of a surprise when I first heard that.

1649090548_1952EFFCvDundeeatBayview.jpg.fc7fe5dcf22e6af8a548e9248f27682b.jpg

The Methil player is Jimmy Bonthrone, who went on to play for Dundee and latterly Stirling Albion before managing East Fife in the 1960s. Bobby Henderson was signed by Dundee from Partick Thistle. Both players won the League Cup with the clubs they are playing for in the photograph.

The photograph is from a 1952 league match at Bayview.

Goalkeeper Campbell Forsyth, who sadly left us at the weekend aged 86, jogs alongside matchwinner Alan Gilzean on a lap of honour following his international debut, a 1-0 victory over England at Hampden in 1964.

Campbell would go on to pick up a league championship medal with Kilmarnock the following season, although injury ruled him out of the title decider at Tynecastle. Unfortunately injury had also robbed him of a Scottish Cup medal with St Mirren in 1959.

In a bizarre bit of trivia he would go on to concede the only goal Peter Shilton scored in his long career, playing for Southampton against Leicester City in 1967.

Edited by Lurkst

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Goalkeeper Campbell Forsyth, who sadly left us at the weekend aged 86, jogs alongside matchwinner Alan Gilzean on a lap of honour following his international debut, a 1-0 victory over England at Hampden in 1964.

Campbell would go on to pick up a league championship medal with Kilmarnock the following season, although injury ruled him out of the title decider at Tynecastle. Unfortunately injury had also robbed him of a Scottish Cup medal with St Mirren in 1959.

In a bizarre bit of trivia he would go on to concede the only goal Peter Shilton scored in his long career, playing for Southampton against Leicester City in 1967.

Didn't realise Campbell had died. He was from 'The Plean', and an acquaintance of some of my family, thus the autograph I still have below, saved but now spoiled by the Sellotape.

Think he got all of his caps while at Rugby Park, before leaving for The Dell. Southampton had a fondness for Scottish keepers around that time, with Eric Martin and Sandy Davie at the club around that period. 

DSCN7133 (2).JPG

1649090548_1952EFFCvDundeeatBayview.jpg.fc7fe5dcf22e6af8a548e9248f27682b.jpg
The Methil player is Jimmy Bonthrone, who went on to play for Dundee and latterly Stirling Albion before managing East Fife in the 1960s. Bobby Henderson was signed by Dundee from Partick Thistle. Both players won the League Cup with the clubs they are playing for in the photograph.
The photograph is from a 1952 league match at Bayview.

Managed Aberdeen too, IIRC was the manager immediately prior to Ally McLeod?

On 17/11/2020 at 12:25, Arabdownunder said:

Bobby Sands RIP puts it 1981 or later

We were robbed of a penalty  against Rangers in the Scottish Cup Semi Final on 3rd April 1982, which finished 0-0.

I think it must me around that time. As we got beat a few days later 3-1 in the replay.

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

We were robbed of a penalty  against Rangers in the Scottish Cup Semi Final on 3rd April 1982, which finished 0-0.

I think it must me around that time. As we got beat a few days later 3-1 in the replay.

The replay was on a pishing wet midweek night in a near deserted Hampden

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A young Willie Miller watches Bobby Lennox fire a shot at goal at Celtic Park in 1975, Danny McGrain is in the background and I think the other Aberdeen player is Arthur Graham. 

IMG_20201119_125941.jpg

If that is Arthur Graham then that's the closest McGrain ever got to him.