Jump to content
Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.

Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

I was at the game.

It seemed somewhat unusual even then although i'd seen Motherwell v Hibs at Ibrox in a third game in the 1970s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I was at the game.

It seemed somewhat unusual even then although i'd seen Motherwell v Hibs at Ibrox in a third game in the 1970s.

Was that after Pat Stanton scored an amazing , brilliant , wonderful diving header equaliser at Easter Road in the second game ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Bob Marley looking quite in awe of Dixie Deans 😀

Unsure if it's his magnificent mullet/tache combo or his penchant for Cup final hat tricks against Hibernian but the reggae legend looks starstruck.

IMG_20200925_192150.jpg

Not so good at penalties v. Milan , unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2020 at 14:47, Flybhoy said:

Jerron Nixon and Craig Brewster after Dundee United won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1994, Brewster's winning goal was comedy gold, even more so as the **** were the opposition, if you haven't seen it kids have a look on YouTube, a calamity defensive howler between Dave McPherson 

IMG_20200924_112639.jpg

could not happen to a ... etc

####### pretend right full back

Edited by ewan14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.

Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

I've got a programme* from c.1988 for a game at Muirton Park between Arbroath and, iirc, Stenny which was a second replay.

That sort of thing must have been binned soon after as I can't remember any similar games.

*Programme= double sided b&w photocopy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Was that after Pat Stanton scored an amazing , brilliant , wonderful diving header equaliser at Easter Road in the second game ?

Do you remember what year it was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got a shot at home if you were drawn at home
You got a shot at home if you drew the first game away.
After that it was neutral because neither side should have an advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You got a shot at home if you were drawn at home
You got a shot at home if you drew the first game away.
After that it was neutral because neither side should have an advantage.

Thistle v Killie in about 1980 went to four games (I think, could be wrong, could have been three) but deffo no neutral ground involved. Mo Johnston scored the winner in about the 400th minute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Do you remember what year it was?

That was the 75-76 season. Hibs also had 3 games against Dundee United, IIRC the 3rd game was not at a neutral venue

Edited by Captain Carrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Not so good at penalties v. Milan , unfortunately

On seeing this photo again, it looks as if Reggae legend Bob Marley is becoming slightly aroused at the sight of former Motherwell forward Dixie Deans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

On seeing this photo again, it looks as if Reggae legend Bob Marley is becoming slightly aroused at the sight of former Motherwell forward Dixie Deans.

It happens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Yes. For example, Montrose played Hearts at Muirton in a quarter final second replay in 1976.

I stayed in Dundee at the time and a load of us went through to Perth for that match. Exciting stuff with Hearts just edging it 2-1  after 2-2 draws in the first two matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I am Partacus said:

Thistle v Killie in about 1980 went to four games (I think, could be wrong, could have been three) but deffo no neutral ground involved. Mo Johnston scored the winner in about the 400th minute. 

Maybe felt like three or four games.

Sadly it was only one game at Rugby Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Was that after Pat Stanton scored an amazing , brilliant , wonderful diving header equaliser at Easter Road in the second game ?

 

8 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Do you remember what year it was?

Sorry , no. IIRC the first game was 2 - 2 and we lost the third game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

 

Sorry , no. IIRC the first game was 2 - 2 and we lost the third game

Looked it up thanks, 1976.

Motherwell went on to the semi final and blew it 3-2 after being 2-0 up at halftime v Rangers. Gave up on the Scottish Cup after that and went to Ayr Utd game on cup final day followed by Tynecastle on the Monday night.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.

Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

Yes , that was how cup ties were played out before penalty shoot-outs at the end of the first replay.  I was at that game at Dens , in the enclosure in front of the main stand.  Absolutely jam packed as was the the rest of the ground.  Crowd was officially about 21K , split pretty much 50/50. Tremendous atmosphere and another example why cup semis should be held at grounds that'll be full rather than Hampden.

I was also at a midweek second replay between Peterhead and Raith Rovers at Gayfield in the mid 80s.  I think the crowd was about 10K and again, it was a cracking atmosphere. Rovers won 3-0.  I can mind their wee winger Steve Simpson was different class that night

Wasn't just the Scottish Cup either. On the way to winning the League Cup in 1976, the Dons needed a replay at Dens to beat Stirling Albion in the quarter final. The Dons had won 1-nil in the first leg at home , and lost the second leg away 1-nil.  

 

Edited by A96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Looked it up thanks, 1976.

Motherwell went on to the semi final and blew it 3-2 after being 2-0 up at halftime v Rangers. Gave up on the Scottish Cup after that and went to Ayr Utd game on cup final day followed by Tynecastle on the Monday night.

We didn’t blow it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've got a programme* from c.1988 for a game at Muirton Park between Arbroath and, iirc, Stenny which was a second replay.

That sort of thing must have been binned soon after as I can't remember any similar games.

*Programme= double sided b&w photocopy

The winner got a home game against Dundee United, who went on to the final after a three games tussle with Aberdeen in the semi finals.

1988.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...