Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

15 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'm not disputing its '73 but John Duncan, Iain Phillip, Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson must have been on their summer holidays still

Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson are there though.  According to Wiki, Phillip joined Palace in 1973 so that would explain his absence.  Duncan - yep, must still have been in Maga!

Edited by hk blues

9 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

LD was expensive back then - 14/6 was a lot of dosh in 1949. Suitable for the gentlemen tipplers who followed the Spiders.

OT but some further investigation into the current status of El Do unearthed possibly the best Amazon customer review ever...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/El-Dorado-Eldorado-Fortified-Wine/dp/B0058HU3FW

"El-D is the best buy.
Invented by a Dr David Bruce Banner in the 1960's as a lab test to enhance performance of workers it was particular prevalent and adored on the shipyards of the lower Clyde. The concoction was designed to enhance the durability and strength of men and it worked as many seemed to be made of the steel and rivets they used to build the ships but it had the side effects.
These included turning green, tearing off clobber and battering the feck out of anyone who looked at you...at all..in any way. .
"a ten quid fine and a years probation". This used to be the motto of El-D in its hey day and it was a rather apt motto as invariably consumers ended up in the cells of the local Police station, but never knowing why or how they got there when they awoke. (it was once also a steady income stream for the Scottish Crown in fines handed out)
Locally known as a bottle of 'who the feck you looking at?' (this was usually followed quickly with a headbutt) it established itself as the drink of choice of many of the local whamees. Almost every man and woman from the lower Clyde through the 60's, 70's and 80's has an El D bottle chib mark on them, which they proudly display as a symbol of dedication, but they were also used as the very first Swiss Army knives, only in this case it came as only two choices, club or chib.
Many songs were made up to lament the El-D. "El-D is the best buy", "Oh the Jakies came in one by one". "I was born under an El-D tree" among hosts of others. Poems have been written, plays developed. even films made about the wonder that was El-D.
Sadly missed,
RIP El-D"
Edited by Lurkst

I find it interesting that those old ads for El D and Lanny mention they are  South African wine.

It's funny how a product goes from the basis of bam fuel to being drunk in posh restaurants by well to do folk in a few decades.

I would get out more but there's a mad advocate from Barnton pissed up on Table Mountain Chardonnay outside wanting a square go with folk.

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I find it interesting that those old ads for El D and Lanny mention they are  South African wine.

It's funny how a product goes from the basis of bam fuel to being drunk in posh restaurants by well to do folk in a few decades.

I would get out more but there's a mad advocate from Barnton pissed up on Table Mountain Chardonnay outside wanting a square go with folk.

My uncle's neighbour was a rather posh Englishman who'd moved north to work as an advocate.  Used to turn up at house parties with a few cans of Tennent's Super, his "tipple of choice".

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson are there though.  According to Wiki, Phillip joined Palace in 1973 so that would explain his absence.  Duncan - yep, must still have been in Maga!

It's Bobby Wilson in the photo. Wee Jimmy must have been on holiday wi Duncan 😀

6 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Too lazy to find out when Bobby Ford signed but another possible omission from this pic. .

Some time in 1971.

Jimmy Johnstone in the unfamiliar setting of Bramall Lane, late in his career in the mid 70's. 

Packet of Jaffa Cakes to who can name his Sheffield United team mate who, had a pretty unremarkable career but has a more famous son who certainly made an impact and is still playing today.

FB_IMG_1600276278137.jpg

Jimmy Johnstone in the unfamiliar setting of Bramall Lane, late in his career in the mid 70's. 
Packet of Jaffa Cakes to who can name his Sheffield United team mate who, had a pretty unremarkable career but has a more famous son who certainly made an impact and is still playing today.
FB_IMG_1600276278137.thumb.jpg.79178e674ee503c05c38d1e31da0a206.jpg

Is he Scots/Irish??

18 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Is he Scots/Irish??

19 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Is he Scots/Irish??

Both.

He came from the Gorbals. 

Parents where from Donegal. 

9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

My uncle's neighbour was a rather posh Englishman who'd moved north to work as an advocate.  Used to turn up at house parties with a few cans of Tennent's Super, his "tipple of choice".

I remember an early trip to London, probably late 70s. Sat opposite a city gent on tbe tube, bowler hat, brolly, pin stripe trousers etc. Opened his briefcase and started on a can of Special Brew.

As a Visiting Officer in the old DHSS, ( the Nilsen programme reminded me) a few colleagues routinely took a few cans in their briefcase to break the day up a wee bit.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Bam fuel.

I'm stealing that.😆

Not quite one from the dusty archives yet and only just 3 years ago, but a photo I think should go down in history as a good representation of Gen-Y era Scottish football: 

When Mick and Ross Dunlop signed for Stenny in McDonalds.

4CCFDAB7-2531-43AE-82A8-0ED41214A1EF.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

Just witnessed these for the first time and thought it rude not to share.

Simpson, God, Gunn, Cooper, Gray as "young men"😂(Big Eck the cop in bottom pic apparently)

EiS3aN0XkAAn6Ag.thumb.jpg.38f588dc1f9b8a2b0cd703fd0cf7e667.jpg

EiS3aQjWAAMXxmM.thumb.jpg.388df06368aababd8baa991010071d21.jpg

It would be great for the town. Clyde are still seen by a lot of people as Rutherglen's team, though maybe they've away too long now, I'm not sure. 
The local paper still reports their games. 

Do you know if that's where their historical support was drawn from?

I'd assume so for sure, but wonder if that's changed with them being away from there now.

There's a whole generation of Scottish football supporters, or maybe a couple, who will see Clyde only as a team from Cumbernauld. I can't quite remember them at Shawfield, but certainly remember them sharing with Accies and Thistle, I think???

13 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I'd assume so for sure, but wonder if that's changed with them being away from there now.

There's a whole generation of Scottish football supporters, or maybe a couple, who will see Clyde only as a team from Cumbernauld. I can't quite remember them at Shawfield, but certainly remember them sharing with Accies and Thistle, I think???

The Clyde support was local to Shawfield,  Rutherglen/Gorbals/Bridgeton. 

A supporters bus still leaves East Kilbride and deffo picks up in Bridgeton. 

Would be interesting to know the level of interest in Cumbernauld for Clyde with Cumbernauld Colts and Cumbernauld Utd competing for support. 

The Clyde support was local to Shawfield,  Rutherglen/Gorbals/Bridgeton. 
A supporters bus still leaves East Kilbride and deffo picks up in Bridgeton. 
Would be interesting to know the level of interest in Cumbernauld for Clyde with Cumbernauld Colts and Cumbernauld Utd competing for support. 
I've always presumed that much of the support they have from around the area where they now play probably came from folk who weren't necessarily Clyde fans in the first place but perhaps took their kids along to a local game.

Maybe now after 25 years or so there, some of the kids are now genuine fans.

It's quite intriguing though. Despite originally coming from Glasgow(ish) I'd imagined they were in a sense, a 'provincial' club who would primarily draw their support from certain areas.

23 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I've always presumed that much of the support they have from around the area where they now play probably came from folk who weren't necessarily Clyde fans in the first place but perhaps took their kids along to a local game.

Maybe now after 25 years or so there, some of the kids are now genuine fans.

It's quite intriguing though. Despite originally coming from Glasgow(ish) I'd imagined they were in a sense, a 'provincial' club who would primarily draw their support from certain areas.

The support was never that big to start with even allowing for the eye popping crowds of the past (by recent standards). I saw Clyde v Airdrie in a relegation battle around 1972ish and 10,000 turned up at Shawfield. Also a lot of East Enders moved out to Cumbernauld. 

7 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The few Clyde supporters I know are in their 60s and are from Ruglen or the East End originally but moved away. Clyde eventually moved closer to them😆

Clyde definitely shared with Accies in the 80s. I guess it was handy, 4 stops on the train.

8 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

The support was never that big to start with even allowing for the eye popping crowds of the past (by recent standards). I saw Clyde v Airdrie in a relegation battle around 1972ish and 10,000 turned up at Shawfield. Also a lot of East Enders moved out to Cumbernauld. 

Last day of the season, 0-0. I was at it as well, but didn't think there was that many there. Airdrie had just lost to Derby in the Texaco Cup final during the week. I wasn't at that though.