Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Being quite local myself, was there not some talk in recent years about Clyde ground sharing with Glencairn, maybe when there were issues with Broadwood?

I remember an old neighbour being quite excited about it. Or maybe I've got that mixed up with the opening of a Witherspoons on the Main St?

I asked about this a few months ago. All I wanted to know was what were the plans for the ground redevelopment. I got a right "we're the juniors, who the feck are you!" response. That was me well telt. Shawfield was a superb ground. It made absolutely no sense as a football stadium but I'd take it over Broadwood any day of the week.

Two or three years ago we were flirting with a few potential venues including East Kilbride, Shettleston and a return to Rutherglen.

Since a change of ownership we have recomitted ourselves to Broadwood. I've been an "owner" for a couple of years and there has been zero talk about moving again on the owners' forum in that time, that I can remember.

Others who know more than me and/or live a lot closer will correct me if I'm talking bollocks, I'm sure.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Two or three years ago we were flirting with a few potential venues including East Kilbride, Shettleston and a return to Rutherglen.

Since a change of ownership we have recomitted ourselves to Broadwood. I've been an "owner" for a couple of years and there has been zero talk about moving again on the owners' forum in that time, that I can remember.

Others who know more than me and/or live a lot closer will correct me if I'm talking bollocks, I'm sure.

I grew up in EK and there was always chat about youse moving to the Kelvin bowl. Would have been a better move than Broadwood as the ground was more central and in effect ready built.

Yeah, that was years ago before we actually did move to Cumbernauld. Then, a few years back, after a couple of decades at Broadwood, we discussed moving again. So much so that the board urged people to vote for a prospective name change to EK Clyde in the event of a move being finalised. That seemed likely to go through but never happened. Rumours of moving have been much more speculative since. And in the last few years (can't remember exactly when) we have confirmed our intention to stay put.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I seem to re-call Belshill doing the rounds as well. Was there ever anything to that?

37 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

I asked about this a few months ago. All I wanted to know was what were the plans for the ground redevelopment. I got a right "we're the juniors, who the feck are you!" response. That was me well telt. Shawfield was a superb ground. It made absolutely no sense as a football stadium but I'd take it over Broadwood any day of the week.

It would be great for the town. Clyde are still seen by a lot of people as Rutherglen's team, though maybe they've away too long now, I'm not sure. 

The local paper still reports their games. 

4 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

It would be great for the town. Clyde are still seen by a lot of people as Rutherglen's team, though maybe they've away too long now, I'm not sure. 

The local paper still reports their games. 

Not sure about that. Lived in Ruglen' for a few years about a decade ago and genuinely only saw a handful of Clyde fans in all that time. Sadly methinks Shawfield is no more as a Glasgow football ground. One of my happiest memories was the 'lights out' fighting free-for-all at the Cup game in the 80's.  Made the headlines in the Express and everything!! Scotland's Shame.

7 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

Not sure about that. Lived in Ruglen' for a few years about a decade ago and genuinely only saw a handful of Clyde fans in all that time. Sadly methinks Shawfield is no more as a Glasgow football ground. One of my happiest memories was the 'lights out' fighting free-for-all at the Cup game in the 80's.  Made the headlines in the Express and everything!! Scotland's Shame.

Fair point. The people I was referring to are probably in the great pub in the sky now. 

Chapman's public bar used to have a nice mural with historical Clyde moments on it, but in a terrible act of vandalism it was painted over when new owners took it to the dark side.

On 11/09/2020 at 20:40, Academically Deficient said:

Front row third from right? 

The goalies jumpers always look jaggy.

More like Yogi Hughes.

The Tully’s Blether with Broon has a bit about Farfar beating the preDABS 1-0 away in the Scottish Cup in 1954 so include a photo of the Loons at Tannadice from 2 seasons later. IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.72fd414b8e5e82c06e69069c8a803dc1.JPG

Forfar Athletic FC team 1956-57 season. Back row (from left) – Berrie, Muirhead, Mowatt, Stewart, Ogilvie, Elder. Front row: Moir, Crowe, Dunn, Brown & Martin. c. November 1956

Same article has bit about Billy Semple. “Billy Semple signing for Dundee?

After nearly nine years at Rangers, winger Semple (26) was freed in April 1972 after playing just a handful of first-team games.

To be fair, competition at the time for wing berths came in the shape of Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston, Davie Wilson and Tommy McLean.

He then had a brief spell with Durban United in South Africa before Davie White, his former boss at Ibrox, took him to Dens Park.

In his 18 months as a Dark Blue, he made just five starts for the first team, and listed as a substitute 14 times.”

Am I imagining things? When the Record had their version of page 3 girls was Mrs Semple featured?

IMG_0952.JPG Dundee FC in 1973. Back row (from left) – Cairney, Robinson, McPhail, Wylie, McKenzie, Stewart, McGuigan, Robertson. Middle row – Wilson, Johnstone, Hendrie, Anderson, Hewitt, Allan, Knowles, Caldwell, Grimmond, Mackie, Pringle. Front row – Harry Davis (Coach), Semple, Watson, Wallace, Gray, Gemmell, Scott, Lambie, Strachan, Smith, and Physiotherapist Eric Ferguson.

Some more Blether with Brown stuff. 

Joe Buick recently handed in a scrapbook to Broughty Athletic containing cuttings from his uncle’s football career.

Joe’s uncle is Ernie Heggie, formerly of Brechin City and Broughty Ferry-based junior side Forthill Athletic.

Broughty president Jim Finlayson, with Joe’s blessing, let me look over the scrapbook, which he thought would be of interest to BwB readers.

I’ll share some of it in the coming weeks.

Below is an amazing photo of Castle Green in Broughty Ferry, now, of course, a very popular playpark.

Castle Green.
Castle Green.

I did know football was played on it at one stage back in time, but not to the extent the photo shows.

An absolute bumper crowd of over 3,000 is in attendance with Ernie’s Forthill side hosting a match against Lochee Harp, Forthill winning the Scottish Cup replay 4-2 on October 10, 1931.

In the next round, Forthill beat Denny 4-1 at Glenesk Park in a replay.

See cutting for the “Football Special” train which left the Ferry for Lochee.

Unfortunately, they crashed out in the next round 6-3 to Glasgow Perthshire in front of a “record crowd of 8,500” at Glenesk.

forthill-940x476.png

This Forthill Athletic FC team group was taken in late December 1932.

Back row (from left) – Murphy, McKenzie, Ross, Heggie, Russell, Miller, McNaughton (trainer).

Middle row – Brown, G McNaughton, Lorimer, Carver, Welsh. Front row – Lawrence, Norrie, Tasker. See story above.

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

The Tully’s Blether with Broon has a bit about Farfar beating the preDABS 1-0 away in the Scottish Cup in 1954 so include a photo of the Loons at Tannadice from 2 seasons later. IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.72fd414b8e5e82c06e69069c8a803dc1.JPG

Forfar Athletic FC team 1956-57 season. Back row (from left) – Berrie, Muirhead, Mowatt, Stewart, Ogilvie, Elder. Front row: Moir, Crowe, Dunn, Brown & Martin. c. November 1956

'preDabs' is a fine and accurate historical insult Eednud 😃. That would be Forfar in their green jerseys, I can recall seeing them in a white with green candystripe in the 'sixties. Unsure why they changed official colours then changed back again.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That would be Forfar in their green jerseys, I can recall seeing them in a white with green candystripe in the 'sixties. Unsure why they changed official colours then changed back again

Same here, Scottish Cup tie in 63/64. 6-1 Dundee at Dens 

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 09:10, Eednud said:

That's a great picture and a fascinating kit. The shirts look to have epaulettes on the shoulders and what the [email protected]#k are those socks made from?

Gordon Strachan has a ping at goal for Dundee against St Mirren at Love Street in the late 70's as Billy Stark looks on.

IMG_20200914_105409.jpg

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Gordon Strachan has a ping at goal for Dundee against St Mirren at Love Street in the late 70's as Billy Stark looks on.

IMG_20200914_105409.jpg

Nice advert for Double Diamond on the stand. It worked wonders.

On 13/09/2020 at 09:10, Eednud said:

Stewart is saying "right pal, outside for a square go.."

I wonder if Crowe is Kevin de Bruyne's secret grandfather. Unfortunately we'd find this out too late to get him in the Scotland squad under the grandparent rule.

You wouldn't spill Dunn's pint. Looks hard. 

Brown looks like he's secretly letting one off. 

6 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Nice advert for Double Diamond on the stand. It worked wonders.

No idea what that is, before my time, an alcoholic beverage?

21 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

No idea what that is, before my time, an alcoholic beverage?

3bffd540841343a8aef9053b5878b4d0.jpg

Ma faither's still got a set of tumblers he got with petrol coupons...

qh5K5OgGzzAhROQIdK4XxDlb0kmkWD0jY-eif_tP