Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 24/08/2020 at 01:54, Ceasar said:

The Gorgie Road end at Tynecastle , Assuming it's a Texaco cup game for obvious reasons !

Tynecastle Texa.jpg

the polis guy is doing a stern job of wishing he was elsewhere...must be of a non Jambo nature

The Gorgie Road end at Tynecastle , Assuming it's a Texaco cup game for obvious reasons !

Tynecastle Texa.jpg

14th April 1971 v Wolves

On 23/08/2020 at 18:54, Ceasar said:

Tynecastle Texa.jpg

I like that even some of the young laddies are wearing ties. If this was 1971, then I went to my first top flight football games not long after that but I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a tie.

Anybody here gone to a football match with a tie on?

8 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I like that even some of the young laddies are wearing ties. If this was 1971, then I went to my first top flight football games not long after that but I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a tie.

Midweek game; school uniforms and office wear I'm guessing

25 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Midweek game; school uniforms and office wear I'm guessing

Yeah, that makes sense. Still looks like a trend long overdue for a comeback. Make it happen P&B.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

The young fellow above the A (the one after the C) on the advertising board is particularly dapper.

Tynecastle Texa.jpg

The lad second down fae the copper in the middle of the photo has just had a premonition of events 49 years in the future

204EB062-4BE2-44EB-BE0F-985107EC473E.jpeg

Edited by A96

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Used to be the norm. A relative of mine went to work every day as a plumber with a tie on under his overalls. So he would probably have worn it to watch Bathgate Juniors as well.

24 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Used to be the norm. A relative of mine went to work every day as a plumber with a tie on under his overalls. So he would probably have worn it to watch Bathgate Juniors as well.

RIght. It was it being as late as the 70s that surprised me. I'd thought that practice was well before my time. Arabdownunder's suggestion above seems to explain it.

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

My father, who is in his 80s usually still wears a tie to the football.

I've scooted off down the motorway to Glasgow to underground death metal gigs straight from work wearing a tie many times.

Tbf, and Old Pack might correct me as he'll know more about it than me, you might not have been seeing St Johnstone at all these days if the club had stayed at Muirton Park.
I'm not quite sure it was as bad as the abyss but certainly the move transformed the club from worse than amateur to the almost professional outfit we see today (off the park).

I'd suggest we'd probably be floundering about somewhere between the Ayr United of today and maybe a club like Stenhousemuir.

Definitely a sliding doors moment though - there have been many where Saints are involved. I always wonder what might have become of the club if we didn't prosper on the park so soon after the move to McDiarmid.

Likewise I sometimes think that had we been promoted in 2007 instead of Gretna where would the two clubs be now. That season felt like a missed opportunity but in reality it was a terrible league that season and by rights we should have been out of the title challenge months before the final day of the season. We probably were nowhere near ready for promotion then if truth be told.

Surely the most on message response is the person Tommy Burns would most like to meet...”His Holiness the Pope”

Many players have put that as an answer to Shoot! and Match magazines

29 minutes ago, JamesConnelly said:

Many players have put that as an answer to Shoot! and Match magazines

True.

The Pope, Mohammed Ali and Raquel Welch were probably the top 3 answers.

There's probably a Dave Allen  punchline in there somewhere, but I've had a long day.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I've scooted off down the motorway to Glasgow to underground death metal gigs straight from work wearing a tie many times.

Rock n roll eh? I just hope it was a LOUD tie!