A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 minute ago, buchan30 said:

It’s probably a thread on it’s own, but just while we are talking about shocks. Stenhousemuir v aberdeen in 95 has got to be up there as well

IMG_0119.jpg

Aberdeen were shite that year. There have been plenty ocassions where Premier Divison teams were knocked out by lower league outfits.

This only seemed big at the time as people were still labouring under the illusion Aberdeen were any good. It's no more a shock than Annan beating Accies 

The Thistle one came too early for me to be aware of at the time.  I think it's fair to say though that the Celtic side they beat was relatively, a much stronger one than that beaten later by Raith Rovers.  The early 70s side was midway through nine straight titles and remained a big hitter in Europe.

What really must have made it so astonishing too, is that Thistle stormed into a 4-0 lead.  That really must have seemed incredible.

I well remember the Raith Rovers one - it's probably my all-time favourite non Queens related match. 

The result was a shock, but not a massive one.  Celtic hadn't won a trophy in ages, were mid-table and under a lot of pressure.  Anyone would have said that good Raith side had a chance going into that game.  It was brilliant that they delivered.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

10 hours ago, buchan30 said:

The 94 was a big shock, probably because they were expected to turn up and thump us about 4 or 5-0. Look ingenious back, there may have been an attitude among players like nicholas, walker that all they had to do was turn up and the game was won.

Raith had some very good players tho' ; Dave ( ha ha Hansen ) Narey

Colin Cameron

Stevie Crawford ?

On 22/08/2020 at 11:28, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Stop off in Glenbuck on way through to Ayrshire. It has a modicum of Scottish footballing history!

IMG_20200822_111645.jpegIMG_20200822_104604.jpegIMG_20200822_105839.jpegIMG_20200822_105041.jpeg

Some great photos , and much admiration for the Liverpool fans who visit

Bob Shankley managed the very , very great Dundee side ( copyright Bob Crampsey )

Aberdeen were shite that year. There have been plenty ocassions where Premier Divison teams were knocked out by lower league outfits.
This only seemed big at the time as people were still labouring under the illusion Aberdeen were any good. It's no more a shock than Annan beating Accies 

I just remember the aberdeen one really standing out at the time, possibly as you say because of aberdeen being perceived as a good team. There would have been mire expectation on them possibly than the other premier sides.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Indeed, that has become a regular occurrence and is due to happen again in a few weeks time. Nothing to see here.

I just remember the aberdeen one really standing out at the time, possibly as you say because of aberdeen being perceived as a good team. There would have been mire expectation on them possibly than the other premier sides.
Queens Park beat Aberdeen 5-3 on penalties after goalless draw in CIS Cup 2006 ...they were an awful team around then

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Some great photos , and much admiration for the Liverpool fans who visit

Bob Shankley managed the very , very great Dundee side ( copyright Bob Crampsey )

Still revered as Dundee's greatest manager although when he applied for the Dens job so did younger brother Bill. God knows what would have happened if the Dundee Board appointed Bill instead of Bob!!

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

It’s probably a thread on it’s own, but just while we are talking about shocks. Stenhousemuir v aberdeen in 95 has got to be up there as well

IMG_0119.jpg

Won't say too much about Aberdeen being poor in 1995, since Dundee United were relegated and also beaten by Stenhousemuir that same year.

482661499_Feb1995Ochilview.thumb.jpg.9fda71f30c8c4df2650c9e5cc7d37320.jpg

The Warriors two goals in their victory were both scored by Tommy Steele, who I was told by a SFC fan could turn on 'Half a Sixpence'.