A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Went to Fir Park that day with my Arab mate.  In the previous round a Jackie Copland inspired St Mirren had whipped a very good Dundee Utd side 4-1 I think it was at Love St.  We went to the Love St game and were impressed by the quick flowing game of the young Saints side and so we decided we would go and watch them in the next round too.  Trouble was we set off late by train from Glasgow, got to Fir Park late and there were massive queues to get in - must have been a cash at the turnstiles game.  When we eventually got into the ground (at the SE corner) the terracing was rammed full and we could only see about two thirds of the pitch - the papers reckoned that well over 10,000 had travelled from Paisley that day and it looked it too.  From what I remember, Well were just too powerful for the Buddies as you say AD and had too much nous, plus Willie Pettigrew was on fire up front for Well then (think he was a Scotland cap by then too) - sure he got a goal that match.

Fine thread this btw - lots of great photos and memories.

If the expression “too much nous” is a euphemism for “let’s go in over the ball hard and repeatedly” then I’d agree with you. 

You know, even though it was over 40 years ago, the bitterness lingers: it’s impossible for me to think Motherwell without also thinking dirty, cheating bar stewards. 

9 hours ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

If the expression “too much nous” is a euphemism for “let’s go in over the ball hard and repeatedly” then I’d agree with you. 

You know, even though it was over 40 years ago, the bitterness lingers: it’s impossible for me to think Motherwell without also thinking dirty, cheating bar stewards. 

I sense your pain here!

Its never the same going to a game as a neutral, you just don't have the same invested in the match as fans of the two clubs do.  Plus, as I said we had a really sh*t view of the match as we only just made it to the top of the corner terrace and no more.  So I don't recall (was it really 40 years ago .....) any particular incidents of the game, I just remember coming away with the impression that here was a young, quick and relatively lightweight side that had come up against a physically stronger and much more experienced/more savvy top league side and received a dose of harsh reality.  I'm sure it was a learning experience for the young Saints players and Fergie at the time.

7 hours ago, johan scott said:

Not even close. Thistle got an astonished mention from Frank Bough at half time.

For me it's still Raith. Partick finished 7th in the top flight that season whereas Raith were in a different division when they beat Celtic.

On 21/08/2020 at 16:36, RawB93 said:

I'd honestly see St Johnstone so differently had you still played there. What a shame.

10 hours ago, Old Pack said:

Great memories, Muirton was a proper football stadium back in the day.

Tbf, and Old Pack might correct me as he'll know more about it than me, you might not have been seeing St Johnstone at all these days if the club had stayed at Muirton Park.

12 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
12 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:
The week before the lockdown started I went down to Glenbuck to try and find the Shankly memorial, but only found the old mining village. I hope to get back and see the rest like you've managed to do here, great shots!

Oh no, you'll kick yourself when you see how close you were! It's hidden from view from the car park. You go just a wee bit further on and it's in a wee sort of bowl.

Hmmm... I went there 2 years ago and I found the Shankly thing nae bother by just driving straight up the road (I think), but I never realised there was anything else.

Carried on to a Muirkirk game though and found Ladeside Park after a bit of a struggle.

7 hours ago, johan scott said:

Not even close. Thistle got an astonished mention from Frank Bough at half time.

I was at Ibrox that day and the man with the wee barrow put up the half times, 0-4. Everybody thought it was a mistake or just his wee joke. Nobody expected teams to beat Jock Stein's Celtic back then, especially in a Final. Plenty people would have expected them to come back and win the game. But Rovers, people at least thought they had a chance with the team they had.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf, and Old Pack might correct me as he'll know more about it than me, you might not have been seeing St Johnstone at all these days if the club had stayed at Muirton Park.

Debatable. We certainly wouldn't have been an established premiership side that's for sure. We probably would have did a Falkirk and been refused entry a few times and then had to move anyway. 

44 minutes ago, RedEd said:

For me it's still Raith. Partick finished 7th in the top flight that season whereas Raith were in a different division when they beat Celtic.

Thistle steamrolled a team that was still among the European elite. The 94 team were 4th in Scotland.

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Seriously, Fergie had the whole town wound up and behind the Buddies that year.  Seem to recall they were driving round the town during the week in cars with megaphones (like they used to do in elections) telling folk to get down to Love St on Saturdays to support the team.

They went round the town in buses if I remember correctly.  I remember guys at school saying they had done this through Foxbar & Glenburn

I moved to a secondary school in Paisley in 1975 and virtually no one was interested in St Mirren at that time, but by the time I left in '78 I was one of the few who wasn't going along to watch St Mirren every other week at Love Street.  The upsurge in interest was unbelievable and the build up to that cup game at Fir Park in 1977 was amazing.   

The 94 was a big shock, probably because they were expected to turn up and thump us about 4 or 5-0. Look ingenious back, there may have been an attitude among players like nicholas, walker that all they had to do was turn up and the game was won.

42 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

The 94 was a big shock, probably because they were expected to turn up and thump us about 4 or 5-0. Look ingenious back, there may have been an attitude among players like nicholas, walker that all they had to do was turn up and the game was won.

Even Jock Brown in commentary IIRC...

"Charlie Nicholas has won the cup for Celtic."

Oops

Even Jock Brown in commentary IIRC...
"Charlie Nicholas has won the cup for Celtic."
Oops

and the ultimate curse of the commentator that it was “unthinkable surely for the skipper to miss”
Maybe what made ours a big shock as well was that it was mcstay that missed it.

I watched the Final in the TV room of the Student Halls I was in at the time in Aberdeen. A mix of Jambos, Hibees, Arabs, Killie etc of course wanted Raith to win and there was one token Celtic fan.

It got to McStay's penalty and said Celtic fan left the room "I can't watch, I'm too nervous"

Cue miss and massive roar from everyone else.

Celtic fan sticks his head round the door "I take it McStay missed then...."

Hmmm... I went there 2 years ago and I found the Shankly thing nae bother by just driving straight up the road (I think), but I never realised there was anything else.
Carried on to a Muirkirk game though and found Ladeside Park after a bit of a struggle.
It would appear the Shankly memorial was relocated last year. It's certainly much further along the road into the village than Google Maps suggests.

Here's a news cutting about the rededication:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-bill-shankly-glenbuck-village-16873907

Anyway, my tour of Ayrshire continued with a trip to the greatest stadium of them all, Townhead Park, and a glimpse of a Talbot floodlight from Auchinleck Tesco. Then a trip to the Barony A Frame and chips on Ayr beach at sunset.

Glorious day. Walked 20 miles so I earned the chippy for once!

IMG_20200822_130919.jpegIMG_20200822_170309.jpegIMG_20200822_171944.jpegIMG_20200822_203918.jpeg

I watched the Final in the TV room of the Student Halls I was in at the time in Aberdeen. A mix of Jambos, Hibees, Arabs, Killie etc of course wanted Raith to win and there was one token Celtic fan.

It got to McStay's penalty and said Celtic fan left the room "I can't watch, I'm too nervous"

Cue miss and massive roar from everyone else.

Celtic fan sticks his head round the door "I take it McStay missed then...."

When mcstay missed, i looked at the ref because i was expecting to him to have him retake it.

I actually thought galloway had missed the 5th.

56 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It would appear the Shankly memorial was relocated last year. It's certainly much further along the road into the village than Google Maps suggests.

Here's a news cutting about the rededication:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-bill-shankly-glenbuck-village-16873907

Cheers for that. Just checked and my photo was May 2018 and definitely the same place as @Otis Blue

I was heading through to fish a session at Raith Lake that day and arrived to find a local coming out of the fishery building(or caravan?) and doing a jig, a blue scarf gave it away..

It led to the old joke about the then latest Celtic perfume 'McStay Mist'