A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

23 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

He even looks ready to take the photographer. 

20200814_104857.jpg

Seen him.sent off twice in 4 says against Airdrie. Either a two legged cup tie or a cup game followed by a league game in the days before automatic suspension.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

14 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Seen this image of Pat Crerand on a Celtic fans Facebook page, no mention of the ground but I'm thinking possibly East End Park, Dunfermline?

FB_IMG_1597483009696.jpg

I don’t think so. It looks similar but no sign of floodlights which were put in in 1959.  As far as I can make out he didn’t play in the 1958 game at eep so I don’t think he would have played at eep pre floodlights.

2f89e01d5fb7b59f1a9ac8a2544d272d.jpg

Couldn't let the sad news about Tam Forsyth pass without posting this image of his netbursting winner in the 1973 centenary Scottish Cup final.

It was also a historic occasion with the crowd of 122,714 being the last 6 figure attendance at a match in Britain not only Scotland. 

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'm guessing his big team wasn't Motherwell then?

Would explain a rather spectacular own goal against Rangers that was on either Scotsport or Sportscene. Think the result was 4-3 for Rangers but it's been a while. Willie McVie also starred for Blantyre Vics in a junior cup final against Baillieston at Ibrox. Captain with the trophy is Tommy Coghill, who also played for Hamilton Accies at one point:

5684d3_41cc9d6adc934844baf65cb8261a7b1f~

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

2f89e01d5fb7b59f1a9ac8a2544d272d.jpg

Couldn't let the sad news about Tam Forsyth pass without posting this image of his netbursting winner in the 1973 centenary Scottish Cup final.

It was also a historic occasion with the crowd of 122,714 being the last 6 figure attendance at a match in Britain not only Scotland. 

Heard a lot about this tackle as well in the last day or so. Just before my time.

auld enemy 2.jpg.gallery.jpg

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Seen this image of Pat Crerand on a Celtic fans Facebook page, no mention of the ground but I'm thinking possibly East End Park, Dunfermline?

FB_IMG_1597483009696.jpg

Pure guess Flybhoy but could it be Cathkin Park?

FB_IMG_1597483009696.jpg.dbfc739962c44f8d45c9d499088401f0.jpg

Look at they beets!

I’ll bet you never had a broken metatarsal in one of those beauts!

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Pure guess Flybhoy but could it be Cathkin Park?

Top of the terracing looks too low for Cathkin and were the trees there in the late 50s like there are now? Old photos suggest otherwise.  

cathkin1.jpg

Think we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss East End Park. Can't think of any other Scottish league ground from that era with scope for having trees like that, because usually there isn't higher ground behind the top of the terracing. 

16 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Heard a lot about this tackle as well in the last day or so. Just before my time.

auld enemy 2.jpg.gallery.jpg

Magnificent. At the time I could already see Channon celebrating with that annoying windmill arm thing he did.

It was a bit like the Chris Iwelumo miss but in reverse. There was a moment of disbelief "why isn't the ball in the net"?

A perfect day for Scotland.

52 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Top of the terracing looks too low for Cathkin and were the trees there in the late 50s like there are now? Old photos suggest otherwise.  

cathkin1.jpg

Think we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss East End Park. Can't think of any other Scottish league ground from that era with scope for having trees like that, because usually there isn't higher ground behind the top of the terracing. 

7 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Look at they beets!

I’ll bet you never had a broken metatarsal in one of those beauts!

Pretty sure that's my theatre of dreams named after  the trees - Fir Park. 

On 09/08/2020 at 09:29, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Clyde 4 RC Lens 0image.png.cc6f2291127f1e41ff8a94ad9fd0f38c.png 

Another European tournament was in the offing though. The French Football Federation came up with a concept involving eight of their clubs playing against eight sides under the combined banner of Scotland and England. The Scottish League rejected this however, so two Friendship Cups were created instead; one for the English to compete against four French clubs, with the other four taking on Scottish teams. Clyde were invited to take part after a fine 6th place finish in the old First Division in 1959-60.

Did they allow floodlit League/Cup matches back then?  It took a while to catch on and some tournaments (including the European ones) were more or less made up to get some use out of them.  There were still Floodlit Cup contests listed in the Rothmans into the 1970s.

Did they allow floodlit League/Cup matches back then?  It took a while to catch on and some tournaments (including the European ones) were more or less made up to get some use out of them.  There were still Floodlit Cup contests listed in the Rothmans into the 1970s.

I remember being told that the league cup in england was introduced to get the use of them. What year that was, i am not sure.