A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Clyde finishing 3rd, Dundee getting to the European Cup Semi Final and Stirling Albion and, erm, Falkirk in the top League?

It's just as well we ditched this 18 team nonsense for the successful set up we have today.... :rolleyes:

Changed when it looked like Celtic where heading for 10 in a row funnily enough.

Doubt we'll see that ever again.

Aw haud oan

Catching up on a recent When Saturday Comes. The 1983 league table caught my eye.

Dundee United beat Dundee 2-1 at Dens Park to win the league. The article refers to a tense last half hour for the United fans after Dundee had pulled a goal back.

I note that had Dundee then equalised, Dundee United and Celtic would have finished the seaaon with identical records: points (55), goal difference (+54), and goals scored (90).

How would the league have been decided in that tied scenario back then?

Celtic did win the head-to-head with United, with a win apiece and two draws, but scoring one more goal (7-6).

Memory seems to tell me, however, that other decisive factors like head-to-head and disciplinary points are relatively new rules.

Under the rules of the time, based on the tied scenario above, would there have been a play off to decide the league or would the league title have been shared?

Also interesting to see that had there been three points for a win that season, three teams would have tied on 80 points.

I can't remember quite so tight a finish involving three different teams in the years since.

Looks like a great season. I'm just a touch too young to remember it in any detail, my first game coming the season following. IMG_20200701_223855.jpeg.3b454b5c364a128d9646d95ffe700b17.jpegIMG_20200701_224839.thumb.jpeg.a71aaf204696bfd928d75b8c5e76a04e.jpeg

I was at Pittodrie that day. Aberdeen had won the CWC against Real Madrid on the previous Wednesday and Fergie wouldn’t let the team parade the cup before the game as ‘there was still work to be done’. I think we won 5-0 against Hibs and with Celtic 2-0 down at halftime we were starting to dream it could be possible if Utd also slipped up.
It wasn’t to be but we won the Cup the next Saturday at that infamous final where Fergie got stuck into the team for their performance in a post match interview.
It’s hard to imagine if there will ever be another season when any of 3 teams could win the title on the last day of the season ever again.

7 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

To add insult to injury Dundee reached the semi final beating Standard Liege, DWS Amsterdam and FC Zurich before losing to Leeds United 2-1 on aggregate. The first leg ended 1-1 at Dens with a late Eddie Gray goal winning the tie for Leeds at Elland  Road

I was at the home leg of those games but it was Royal FC Liege. I have a feeling George Mclean might have scored all 4 goals in the 4-1 win away to Liege. Hibs beat Napoli 5-0 to win 6-4 the same season.

This seems like an appropriate thread to leave this...

Sportscene available on iPlayer now showing a Road to Hampden for the centenary Scottish Cup Final in 1985, with plenty of archive footage.

First game up is the historic Stirling Albion v Selkirk game, and it follows the path to Hampden from there.

Really enjoyed this. Be quick though - on iPlayer until tomorrow evening only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jdkn/sportscene-scottish-football-classics-1985-scottish-cup

9 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Sportscene available on iPlayer now showing a Road to Hampden for the centenary Scottish Cup Final in 1985, with plenty of archive footage.

First game up is the historic Stirling Albion v Selkirk game, and it follows the path to Hampden from there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jdkn/sportscene-scottish-football-classics-1985-scottish-cup

I' d recorded this and really enjoyed the whole show, not just because it had the 1975 final loss to Celtic(and Kevin Mccann's equaliser) but the Stirling game had several ex Diamonds. It included Davy Thomson who scored loads but who as a young guy at Airdrie was once subbed as a sub,but uninjured. I think he went on to have a good time at Stirling.

13 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I appear in it briefly as the ballboy showing his displeasure at St Mirren scoring at Somerset Park.

On 03/07/2020 at 22:59, tamthebam said:

Clyde finishing 3rd, Dundee getting to the European Cup Semi Final and Stirling Albion and, erm, Falkirk in the top League?

It's just as well we ditched this 18 team nonsense for the successful set up we have today.... :rolleyes:

Binos in the top league and didn't get relegated! Our succesful 2 season run in Division one ended the next year, and it was Motherwell joining us in the drop.

11 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Binos in the top league and didn't get relegated! Our succesful 2 season run in Division one ended the next year, and it was Motherwell joining us in the drop.

Three seasons?

A screen dump of the crowd at Dundee United v Aberdeen taken from the Pathe News video. (Which refers to United as "Dundee" much of the time).  (And gets the team colours (albeit in B&W) wrong in the text accompanying the film). 1967 and still no colour for the cinema newsreel - jings!

As the days of football bunnets slowly passes, Mr Gumby makes an appearance together with a traditional expression of dissatisfaction from the gentleman behind they neglected to edit out.  And two men adopting the "if you don't want to know the score, look away now" stance. There are some too many games where the crowd are more entertaining that the fare presented on the pitch.

1967.jpg

On 5 July 2020 at 12:49, Jacksgranda said:

And you beat Celtic 1-0 at Annfield one of those seasons. (1965/66?)

It was 1965/66, though they got their own back 6-1 at Parkhead, that season we beat Aberdeen 2-1 at Annfield as well and 2-2 at Pittodrie..  How we have fallen!

1 minute ago, AlbionMan said:

It was 1965/66, though they got their own back 6-1 at Parkhead, that season we beat Aberdeen 2-1 at Annfield as well and 2-2 at Pittodrie..  How we have fallen!

You didn't need to mention those! (We were 2 up at Pittodrie..., one of those league games sandwiched into the middle of the league cup sectional ties).

On 02/07/2020 at 08:43, Arabdownunder said:

Tense last half hour understates it but not so much because of Dundee pulling one back (that happened in the first half). Celtic played Rangers on the last day. At half time Rangers were 2-0 up meaning that in the second half Celtic had to score four without reply and Dundee equalise to deny us the title. Celtic did score four (including two dubious penalties) but thankfully Dundee were (as usual) pish. The tense half hour was more due to the regular score updates coming through from Ibrox. 

Momentous day. Hard to believe but Jim McLean smiled!

A misrepresentation of history (how unusual for an arab!) Albert Kidd should have buried you with a late header and it would have been justice on the day. Key result was Aberdeen losing to St Mirren previous week otherwise Dons would have walked it. Bump into Albert over there, he’ll tell you about it all right.

6 hours ago, House Bartender said:

A screen dump of the crowd at Dundee United v Aberdeen taken from the Pathe News video. (Which refers to United as "Dundee" much of the time).  (And gets the team colours (albeit in B&W) wrong in the text accompanying the film). 1967 and still no colour for the cinema newsreel - jings!

As the days of football bunnets slowly passes, Mr Gumby makes an appearance together with a traditional expression of dissatisfaction from the gentleman behind they neglected to edit out.  And two men adopting the "if you don't want to know the score, look away now" stance. There are some too many games where the crowd are more entertaining that the fare presented on the pitch.

1967.jpg

Brian Clough there, behind the guy giving the Vickies.

43 minutes ago, johan scott said:

A misrepresentation of history (how unusual for an arab!) Albert Kidd should have buried you with a late header and it would have been justice on the day. Key result was Aberdeen losing to St Mirren previous week otherwise Dons would have walked it. Bump into Albert over there, he’ll tell you about it all right.

Aberdeen’s home defeat by St Mirren was way before the previous week. It came the Saturday before the first leg of the European Cup Winners Cup semi final. That defeat was one of several league matches that season where we dropped points either the game before or the game after a European tie.  The 2-1 loss to Dundee United three days after we’d beaten Bayern was every bit as much a key result in the league race as that St Mirren game. As was the 2-1 defeat at Ibrox three days after the First leg of the Euro semi.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying we’d have walked the league that season if it wasn’t for the distraction of our glorious European run , but there’s a fair chance we’d have won the league.

In other news , none of my aunties have tested positive for possession of testicles

Edited by A96

9 hours ago, johan scott said:

Swing and a miss champ. After we beat Celtic at Parkhead, the league was in our hands with four games to go. Win those (which we did) and we were champions no matter what Aberdeen or Celtic did. Three successive 4-0 wins vs Killie(H), Morton (A), Motherwell (H) set up that last day at Dens. 

Also, as discussed in the thread already, if Albert Kidd had scored a late equaliser at Dens it wouldn't have "buried" United. It would have instead set up a play-off between United and Celtic at a neutral venue for the title.