A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Dzieķanowski, Elliott  and Galloway pose for a picture as Celtic's summer signings for the 89-90 season where, despite high expectations we finished fifth.... yes, you read that right fifth...🤨😳

We didn't even qualify for Europe originally but I think we sneaked in the back door after Scotland got an extra UEFA Cup place because of some war somewhere, might have been the former Yugoslavia but can't really remember truth be told...

IMG_20200605_163844.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Ronnie Simpson making a spectacular looking save against his former club Hibernian for Celtic sometime in the 1960's, with the quite magnificent East Terrace in the background 

IMG_20200605_165142.jpg

Strangely, the photo doesn't seem to do quite do the terracing justice. It really looked huge in the flesh, when there was a big crowd in. 8ft less huge at the Dunbar end obvs.

16 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Strangely, the photo doesn't seem to do quite do the terracing justice. It really looked huge in the flesh, when there was a big crowd in. 8ft less huge at the Dunbar end obvs.

A few more Easter Road pictures I found via Google, including said huge East Terrace 

815d04330c6becfc07bdfb7c5337927d.jpg

7e9a59863cb6812e454b8475e726de77.jpg

DtPDXmlXgAAK_Av.jpg

5 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

I was thinking that as well. I remember it looking a lot bigger than that.

I was thinking that as well. I remember it looking a lot bigger than that.
It wasnt that steep, it just went back forever which is how it got reasonably high. If you want to get a perspective on how far back it went have a look on Google maps and take the current east stand forward a few metres and it still extended to the new flats behind the current stand.

6 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A few more Easter Road pictures I found via Google, including said huge East Terrace 

7e9a59863cb6812e454b8475e726de77.jpg

Anyone know what the capacity of the East Terrace was?

There's something quite mesmerising about seeing so many people crammed in with only the sky above them. Must have been brutal on a wet windy day though.

I take the single tier design of the new East Stand is a homage to the giant kop?

On 03/06/2020 at 21:07, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

EZms8iLWAAM60Ws?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I remember standing in that part of the ground around 1971/2 when my father took me to a pre season friendly as we were on holiday near Dingwall.

I think there was an ex Hibs centre forward playing for/guesting for  County that day, but can't remember his name

Anyone know what the capacity of the East Terrace was?
There's something quite mesmerising about seeing so many people crammed in with only the sky above them. Must have been brutal on a wet windy day though.
I take the single tier design of the new East Stand is a homage to the giant kop?

The record attendance at Easter Road was 65k (Hibs have a higher home record attendance than Liverpool). The Dunbar end remained the same size until it was demolished and held 8k under modernish safety requirements. The old stand at ER had a capacity of c.4.5k with seats in the enclosure so you'd add maybe another 1000 without seats. So probably about 18-20k on those two sides of the ground. Which means 45-47k left. The cowshed end was smaller than the Dunbar end so maybe 8k there max. The old east max attendance was probably in the region of high 30 thousands going by that.

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Pretty sure I remember reading that at one point the East Terrace/Celtic End at Hampden was the biggest single section of Terrace in any stadium ever, circa 50,000 could cram into it at its peak.

Almost 62,000 according to this clipping, before it was made "safer"...

_aMYAEUVIJLiBcDhDBh7LR26VancQIDIl92qGU4O

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Pretty sure I remember reading that at one point the East Terrace/Celtic End at Hampden was the biggest single section of Terrace in any stadium ever, circa 50,000 could cram into it at its peak.

Surely one of the sections of Great Strahov Stadium must have been bigger?