A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

DAVID GRAY | Football | Hibs History | Hibernian Historical Trust | UK

4 years ago today chaps. 

Seen the video on YouTube “hibs scottish cup fairytale” some of the scenes in it just capture everything about being a football fan (not the pitch invasion) but there is a guy in particular at about a minute or so into the video just stood with his head in his hands whilst everyone around him is going mental. It’s a great video. 

6 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Seville on this day 2003, I'm in the yellow away shirt, we were in the back row right in front of the scoreboard. 

Screenshot_20200521-162549_Gallery.jpg

Is that all your other aliases with you?

Isn't that Dave Coaches with his arm up?

On 24/05/2020 at 19:21, paulbrucerick said:

Ayr FC 1885. Proud winners of both the Ayr and Kilmarnock Charity Cups.

Pinched from the Ayr stars and queries fb page. Must be the earliest photo of association football in Ayr that I have seen.

FB_IMG_1590326171476.jpg

Brilliant picture, and it shows just how good the silverware looked at the time - even if it was just for a local competition, these trophies looked brilliant. The Kilmarnock Charity Cup is an interesting tournament as it was established as a competition to raise funds for the old Kilmarnock Infirmary (that was near the railway viaduct in the town centre that's also near to St. Joseph's church). One side of the trophy shows some Victorian fitba players having a game, the other side shows the (long-gone) infirmary on its former site at Mount Pleasant. When the trophy was discontinued it ended up separated from its base and the trophy went to the town council, now East Ayrshire Council, while the base was eventually found in a cupboard in the Frank Beattie stand. Before the start of the exhibition at the Hampden museum for Killie's 150th anniversary, the trophy and the base hadn't been together for years and years - this is the first time they've been together for years and after the exhibition is finished and things go back to near-normality, they'll be separated and won't be together again for who knows how long. I don't know much about the Ayr Charity Cup but it's also a lovely cup and I hope it's been well taken care of because trophies like that are fantastic to look at if they've been looked after. 

Elsewhere, big fan of the 'taches and the attire. Guy on the right in the chair looks as if he's just seen into his future and doesn't like what he's seen while the other seated guy looks like he's getting his picture taken for the first time ever. Add to that footballers at the time had to make their own shinguards out of cricket ones which is definitely a look by today's standards.

Edited by Andy_K_97

Pinched from the Ayr stars and queries fb page. Must be the earliest photo of association football in Ayr that I have seen.
FB_IMG_1590326171476.thumb.jpg.998df7200d345bf29b54e0e13901cefc.jpg
My great grandfather could be in that picture, although i think it's ten years too early. He played for parkhouse and I've got a gold medal from 1897 for the Kilmarnock charity cup.

He was offered a contract by Chelsea but didn't go because his wife didn't want to move. In those days he'd have been working in the factory during the week and then playing for the chelsea team on a Saturday.

11 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I don't know much about the Ayr Charity Cup but it's also a lovely cup and I hope it's been well taken care of.

It looks like we still have it., pic below borrowed from same fb page. Last played for in 51-52, the only post war time, won by Ayr United who defeated Queen's Park. I dont know what the score was.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

My great grandfather could be in that picture, although i think it's ten years too early. He played for parkhouse and I've got a gold medal from 1897 for the Kilmarnock charity cup.

He was offered a contract by Chelsea but didn't go because his wife didn't want to move. In those days he'd have been working in the factory during the week and then playing for the chelsea team on a Saturday.

My great grandfather also, apparently, played for Parkhouse! I cant find any confirmation of this though!

FB_IMG_1590366191529.jpg

Edited by paulbrucerick

On 24/05/2020 at 12:21, paulbrucerick said:

FB_IMG_1590326171476.jpg

Looking past Benedict Cumberpatch's great granda, second left, front row...have a zoom in on the guy third left, back row. The one doing the rather politically incorrect impression of a gay guy. Not only is his right arm leaning on absolutely nothing it's also transparent. And don't get me started on his eyes. My guess is that none of the others knew he was there until the photo came back from Boots.

8 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Looking past Benedict Cumberpatch's great granda, second left, front row...have a zoom in on the guy third left, back row. The one doing the rather politically incorrect impression of a gay guy. Not only is his right arm leaning on absolutely nothing it's also transparent. And don't get me started on his eyes. My guess is that none of the others knew he was there until the photo came back from Boots.

Are they in a house or a wood?

On 25/05/2020 at 09:29, Lurkst said:

df199e7baabcdd363d73fa29046473ab.jpg

Mexico 86 - Gordon Strachan is crunched by José Batista in the first minute.  The Uruguayan earned the fastest red card in World Cup history. 

Batista was a secret Albion Rovers fan and is getting Strachan for talking pish about the part-time clubs. Respect.