A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 15 May 2020 at 15:33, Lurkst said:

1412984.jpg

Astonishingly this was the first League Cup final not to feature Celtic since October 1963!

Correct,14 finals in a row.

A lot of people at the time weren't sure where Celtic played home games since they were at Hampden that often.

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'm guessing the Celtic support weren't rooting for Franco's XI?

I'm guessing the old Rangers crew weren't cheering on the Germans who'd bombed Clydeside less than 20 years before.

But both of us would be be wrong.

30 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I'm guessing the old Rangers crew weren't cheering on the Germans who'd bombed Clydeside less than 20 years before.

Very true. Plus the fact they had been scutched off them in the semi.

2 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Very true. Plus the fact they had been scutched off them in the semi.

If you watch the goals on YouTube the biggest roar is when the Germans score the first goal.

In the 1976 European Cup final at Hampden a section of the crowd thought it fun to sing "we won the war".

1fb3c8da582b153c05d0185b440031e3.jpg

Gordon Durie tangles with Brazilian goalkeeper Taffarel in the opening game of the 1998 World Cup. 

By playing that day "Jukebox" became the only Scot to be capped at 4 major tournament finals, and let's face it, it's unlikely to be repeated (by a man anyway).

Scotland 0 England 1, Paul Mariner scored the only goal. 

Left to right, McGrain, Mariner, Jordan, Butcher, Alan Evans, Keegan and Hansen. 

Alan Evans in the picture there is a player I literally have no memory of, did he play his entire career in England?

IMG_20200520_173404.jpg

Andy Walker chased down by Kenny Black as Celtic and Hearts scrap it out at Tynecastle in 1988, other players from left to right are Gary Mackay, Mark McGhee, Dave McPherson and Paul McStay, cant make out the player partially obscured by Walker, ex Celt Roddy McDonald maybe?

Edit, zooming in I think it could be another ex Celtic player, Brian Whittaker..a check of the Celtic wiki page reveals McDonald didn't play that day but Whittaker, who died in a crash a decade later did.

Celtic only needed a point to clinch the title but lost 2-1, delaying the party a week where a 3-0 win over Dundee at Celtic Park clinched the first part of the centenary season double.

IMG_20200520_174921.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

20 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Scotland 0 England 1, Paul Mariner scored the only goal. 

Left to right, McGrain, Mariner, Jordan, Butcher, Alan Evans, Keegan and Hansen. 

Alan Evans in the picture there is a player I literally have no memory of, did he play his entire career in England?

IMG_20200520_173404.jpg

Started his career at the Pars. Nearly 6 years at East End before signing for Aston Villa 

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Alan Evans in the picture there is a player I literally have no memory of

751d782717555946b904b4f9a7f4e2b0.jpg

Surprised at that, bit of a legend at Villa, league and European Cup winner.

Edited by Lurkst