Jump to content

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football


Recommended Posts

It was. It's only in more recent times that it became uniquely associated with Liverpool down south and Celtic up here. If my memory serves me right Hail,Hail used to be sung by different teams too.
I remember once there was a football chants round on an old Question of Sport and they played a bit of "Hail, hail" and John Parrott got it straight away saying it was "the Everton song". I'd only ever heard Celtic associated with it, but apparently it used to be a common song all round the UK and that Everton and Celtic argue about who it "really" belongs to.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Accrington Stanley in 1955/56. The last EFL team to field an all-Scots XI in a league game, a 1-1 draw at Rochdale. Only Sunderland had done it before in the twentieth century (1902) and it hasn’t been done since.

Scots were prominent in Stanley teams of that era.

9D9A984E-3B4D-4521-BBBD-FCBC6C71E7BC.jpeg

1EBDB191-AE99-47C6-8EAB-3128A65A85EC.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picture from Springburn from what I imagine is late 60s / early 70s, the lad in the front is in a West Ham shirt, and it's obviously a Scotland shirt behind him, with a Rangers tip behind that. 

Just wondering if anyone knows the other shirts, could just be generic. 

May even be some P&B relatives! 

 

Screenshot_20200512_222636.jpg

Edited by LondonHMFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

I can remember the Somerset Road End singing Ynwa in the mid 80's. Co.plete with raised scarves. 

Meadowbank Brake Club used to sing YNWA by raising their arms in the air but keeping their scarves round their necks to take the piss. 

Used to do the same thing with the Hearts "blizzard" to the tune of "Hey Jude". I always thought without scarves we were making wanking gestures at the opposition. Probably were!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:
It was. It's only in more recent times that it became uniquely associated with Liverpool down south and Celtic up here. If my memory serves me right Hail,Hail used to be sung by different teams too.

I remember once there was a football chants round on an old Question of Sport and they played a bit of "Hail, hail" and John Parrott got it straight away saying it was "the Everton song". I'd only ever heard Celtic associated with it, but apparently it used to be a common song all round the UK and that Everton and Celtic argue about who it "really" belongs to.

Indeed, if you watch footage of our 5-1 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in 1964 you can hear our fans singing it, plus a brilliant chorus of "Easy! Easy!" after we scored the 5th goal. If I had a time machine and could only go back in time to watch my team play one game, it'd be a coin toss between this and winning the league at Tynecastle.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

That had me wondering too. In my time the shelter at the town end was never that small. Also it looks as if the dressing rooms are in the middle.1359203504_Untitled(3)(3).thumb.jpg.3f4fd974aa90a4fa9e7f87ce55933f83.jpg

 

The shed used to bend round the corner too, always like that feature...

634d05d35f541e2e2e8473e94d098bed.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/09/2019 at 23:04, Drew Brees said:

More hampden w9cj.jpeg

Slowly making my way through this brilliant thread. I'm only up to the end of September.

My secondary school is in that picture above, and I'd say that's the best picture of Hampden and Cathkin I've seen. Anyone know the date of this one?

On 13/09/2019 at 11:12, Buddie Holly said:

and that was just the change in the turnstile operators pockets.tickets weren't always needed,there was always a turnstile scam on the go in these days.makes you wonder how many people were actually in the stadium.

The first time I went to any football match my dad bunged the steward at the foot of the west tower on the main stand. No idea how much. It was Scotland v Belgium, 1983. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Slowly making my way through this brilliant thread. I'm only up to the end of September.

My secondary school is in that picture above, and I'd say that's the best picture of Hampden and Cathkin I've seen. Anyone know the date of this one?

The first time I went to any football match my dad bunged the steward at the foot of the west tower on the main stand. No idea how much. It was Scotland v Belgium, 1983. 

Aye that’s a pretty famous pic Gordon. I’m sure it’s 1954.

The houses top right are the prefabs which went up in 1949 and were demolished about 1993. I remember them from when I started going in the 1970s.

Edited by The Mantis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/04/2020 at 14:53, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, I googled him. Thought he might have been invited as a thank you for his service, or just tagged along as he was a great Clyde man, but I suppose flights weren't cheap back then.

I don't think he kept too well and was unable to attend both the 1955 and 1958 Cup finals; the team bus stopped for a few seconds outside his flat in Bridgeton on the way back from Hampden with the trophy so he could see it from his window in '55, then in '58 they went one better, with Harry Haddock taking the cup into his living room so he could hold it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CK said:

I don't think he kept too well and was unable to attend both the 1955 and 1958 Cup finals; the team bus stopped for a few seconds outside his flat in Bridgeton on the way back from Hampden with the trophy so he could see it from his window in '55, then in '58 they went one better, with Harry Haddock taking the cup into his living room so he could hold it.

Aye I read about that in one of Hugh Taylor's Book of Scottish Football (Scottish Football Book?), can't remember which season it was now, probably the latter.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

Slowly making my way through this brilliant thread. I'm only up to the end of September.

My secondary school is in that picture above, and I'd say that's the best picture of Hampden and Cathkin I've seen. Anyone know the date of this one?

The first time I went to any football match my dad bunged the steward at the foot of the west tower on the main stand. No idea how much. It was Scotland v Belgium, 1983. 

You can also see the site of the 1st Hampden, the bowling greens across the road to the left of Cathkin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Accrington Stanley in 1955/56. The last EFL team to field an all-Scots XI in a league game, a 1-1 draw at Rochdale. Only Sunderland had done it before in the twentieth century (1902) and it hasn’t been done since.

Scots were prominent in Stanley teams of that era.

9D9A984E-3B4D-4521-BBBD-FCBC6C71E7BC.jpeg

1EBDB191-AE99-47C6-8EAB-3128A65A85EC.png

Back to this one for a minute...The handsome big chap in the goalie jumper is the late Tom McQueen, a lovely gentleman and the father of fitba legend Gordon McQueen.

We used to speak often and I still miss big Tam.

Anyway,....that's a great wee factoid about Stanley & Sunderland fielding an entire team of "foreign" players. I wonder what the media of the time made of that ?

Did Preston North End not have an abundance of Scottish lads, as well ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think a lot of Lancashire / Yorkshire clubs did at that time. 
The Stanley manager that season was Walter Galbraith, who managed many other clubs. I see he managed Hibs in the 60s as well but seems to have spent most of his career in NW England.

He was a burly fellow with thick Mick McGahey glasses who had a long career as player and manager. Interesting to hear your story there of the Stanley keeper and the link to Gordon McQueen which I’d no idea about!

 

Edited by Ivo den Bieman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...