A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 8 April 2020 at 16:44, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Green white and yellow is the flag for the sparsely populated county of Offaly in west Leinster

It maybe that thousands of Celtic fans just happened to have some connections with that county

But that would be ...

... an Offaly strange coincidence

I’ll get my coat

Offaly had a great team in the mid 1970s

On 10/04/2020 at 11:21, realmadrid said:

A 1/3 complete Muirton Park enclosure with floodlights that the league said were only fit for training.

St Johnstone 4-3 Partick thistle 2/9/1961 in the final group game of the league cup that season

Our club historian Brian Doyle stated on twitter that number 8 in the photo is Ronnie Wright who had just scored the fourth and winning gaol. Saints were 2-0 down at half time and 3-2 down in the second half. 

That result means Saints win the section eliminating Celtic whom we beat home and away, and Hibs, who "Hibsed it" losing there last two games to go from top of the group of 4 to 3rd in the table. Thistle finished last with 3 points from their 6 games.

The attendance was around 10,000

EVKsSfrU0AAJnLD?format=jpg&name=small

That's a proper Thistle strip.

On 10/04/2020 at 11:35, realmadrid said:

The Perth and Kinross Archives have been posting a lot of Saints images in the last month and this one is from a game vs Motherwell in the 60's with a packed main stand and stand enclosure. 

EUNG32nXQAElLg_?format=jpg&name=small

And that's a proper Motherwell strip.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Sad times as East End is ruined.

MVC-022F.JPG.069bb722b8c096a84971b946fe739244.JPGMVC-020F.JPG.d7ae9386ed972d64fc91970df4d6bd2a.JPG21.JPG.342aabffc3fd77f621184f361c694f19.JPG19.JPG.469fce39a24297a1d86c094f0549b741.JPG

I still like EEP as a ground, but I would have loved to have gone to a game there with the terraces. Would have been a smashing experience. 

4 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I still like EEP as a ground, but I would have loved to have gone to a game there with the terraces. Would have been a smashing experience. 

Oh it was, and I only experienced it for a few years, and only stood on it for a few games (my old man and me usually sat in the main stand until he stopped taking me).

All seater grounds are an anachronism I think. The future is a mix of seating and standing, but with top facilities for all. 'Safe standing' is a con and needs to get to f**k. It will hold clubs back. There's nothing wrong with regular terracing. Many clubs in English Leagues 1 and 2 prove this.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I was at their first game in the then Premier Division in 1987, an exciting 3-3 draw with Hibs in the sunshine. 

It was a rocking atmosphere with the terraces full that day. Even when half full it had a good atmosphere.

10 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

My first Killie away game was at East End park in the 1988-89 season, John Watson ripped us apart, Pars won 3-0, it was a great day out regardless of the result, it soon became apparent that the season wasn't going to go our way. 

15 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

As a young lad standing at the segregation fence I was glad they had netting above it as by half time it usually had darts and golf balls stuck in it.

Another couple of Muirton Park images that have been shared at the weekend.

The first is an early image from before the construction of the enclosure and it shows the importance of the railway line back then.

EVaKEh5WsAU9nPM?format=jpg&name=medium

This second one has the enclosure but is pre proper floodlights.  Lowland league side Jeanfield Swifts old ground Simpson Park can be seen in the top right with what looks like someone playing on it.

Saints training pitches/carpark runs along the bottom left.

EVggb2hWkAY4RL8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Some press photos as 31 years ago today a part time Saints held Rangers to a 0-0 draw in the Scottish cup semi final.

In the days before mobile phone technology we had no idea of what had happened in Sheffield as we played out the game at Celtic Park.

I remember walking back to the buses after the  game , everyone outside was singing then the people on the supporters buses were all sitting in silence. I cannot remember a word being said on the way back as everyone listened to the radio. A very strange day with 9000 saints fans in one corner of the Celtic Park terrace and half the main stand.

EVoMdZpUUAYvLS7?format=jpg&name=900x900

EVoMdVKUYAAyaou?format=jpg&name=small

EVoMdVfU0AkfU0M?format=jpg&name=900x900

EVoMdcqVAAAtfod?format=jpg&name=large

EVoTOwzU8AEEUOo?format=jpg&name=large

On 14/04/2020 at 20:31, The Mantis said:

City Park, Edinburgh, 1992. Look at the state of that pitch.

706528268_Untitled(3)(8).thumb.jpg.3858b84f334eeeba7ceda22dc0900942.jpg

Aye, yon Spartans ruined Edinburgh City's ancestral home :lol: And now we're ruining theirs..:whistle

The pitch wasn't helped by having two teams play on it- Craigroyston shared with Spartans at the time.