A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was surprised to see Drew Jarvie was a full International.

Apparently, he'd won 3 caps while with Airdrie.

Who knew?  Probably plenty people on here.

Not me , I am impressed.

Airdrie could not have been the Leeds United of Scottish football at that time

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was surprised to see Drew Jarvie was a full International.

Apparently, he'd won 3 caps while with Airdrie.

Who knew?  Probably plenty people on here.

I remember him coming on near the end of a 3-1 loss to England at Wembley, probably in 1971. The game was done and I think Bobby Brown got the sack soon afterwards. I'd need to look up the other 2. He got under 23 caps as well. The surprise was really that Drew Busby wasn't capped.

I remember him coming on near the end of a 3-1 loss to England at Wembley, probably in 1971. The game was done and I think Bobby Brown got the sack soon afterwards. I'd need to look up the other 2. He got under 23 caps as well. The surprise was really that Drew Busby wasn't capped.

All 3 games he came on as a sub. Portugal (A) 0-2, Northern ireland (H) 0-1 and the England game you remember.

Aye, remember seeing the results now. The others probably weren't on the telly in those days.

They probably had highlights of the N.Ireland game but Portugal probably not even though it was a EC qualifier. Liverpool freed Ian StJohn the same day as the NI game. https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1971/1971051801.htm

Used to watch Rovers and Airdrie, more or less on alternate weeks, in the early 70s. Jarvie and Busby were a formidable force for Airdrie, particularly during their run to the Texaco Cup Final.
Jarvie came from Annathill, a wee mining village near Glenboig, which has spawned an inordinate number of Scottish international players - Jock 'Tiger' Shaw, his brother, Davie, and Frank Brennan, all of that wee parish, played against Switzerland in 1946.

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A well attended in the late 'fifties: Clyde v Dundee.

Clyde v Dundee maybe jan 1959.jpg

Not the 50s DH. The Dundee players are Seith, Ure, Smith and Hamilton. Bobby Seith signed from Burnley in 1960 and Gordon Smith arrived the following year. This is most likely the League winning side of 61-62 or the European Cup heroes of the following year. It's difficult to make out the goalie but I think it's Pat Liney which would definitely make it the league winning season

On 21/02/2020 at 16:51, ScottyDee1893 said:

Not the 50s DH. The Dundee players are Seith, Ure, Smith and Hamilton. Bobby Seith signed from Burnley in 1960 and Gordon Smith arrived the following year. This is most likely the League winning side of 61-62 or the European Cup heroes of the following year. It's difficult to make out the goalie but I think it's Pat Liney which would definitely make it the league winning season

I bow to your superior knowledge, ScottyDee1893, on the players. However, maybe the season is 62-63, as Clyde were in the Second Division when you won the league. They came up as champions in 61-62, then were relegated back down in 62-63. From what I can find, the game, if it was 62-63, was a 3-2 win for Clyde in January '63. Crowd was 6233.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I bow to your superior knowledge, ScottyDee1893, on the players. However, maybe the season is 62-63, as Clyde were in the Second Division when you won the league. They came up as champions in 61-62, then were relegated back down in 62-63. From what I can find, the game, if it was 62-63, was a 3-2 win for Clyde in January '63. Crowd was 6233.

You're probably right DH. Clyde were always a bogey team for us, even when they were struggling. Strange seeing them in (I presume) red, always thought that was their change strip. Maybe one o the Bully Wee's can enlighten us

On 19/02/2020 at 00:17, Lurkst said:

He could talk for Scotland while playing too. Impressive!

Dxw17WpWkAA9EPI.jpg

Great coachstrip! Is it any coincidence that the withdrawal of this artform coincided with the demise of Scottish football? Just think of all the wee boys all over Scotland reading this excitedly before hurrying off to find a brick wall to practice these skills against, then trying them out in a wee game of three a sides (including a lassie who couldnie play but made up the numbers and was good at recovering the ball from the adjacent pitch).

If only we still had target men who could lay the ball off for their mates breaking from midfield, who could control a ball with the inside of the foot and who could effectively head the ball downwards with the front of the forehead! Take a bow messrs. Gilfeather and Thomson and of course, dirty baldy Drew, this is coaching golddust!

The Henry McLeish report pinpointed many reasons for the decline in quality of our national game but crucially failed to mention the withdrawal of coachstrips. The solution to our current problems is therefore blindingly obvious - scrap the performance schools and bring back coachstrips!

On 23/02/2020 at 20:30, ScottyDee1893 said:

Strange seeing them in (I presume) red

According to the Historical Football Kits site, Clyde were in red jerseys as first strip from 1954-63, and also around and just after World War One.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Clyde/Clyde.htm

Edited by Dundee Hibernian