Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Scotland behind barbed wire.

A football team representing Scotland in Lamsdorf Prisoner or War Camp during WWII. (Camp 344 - an unlikely but attacking formation if ever I saw one).

I've no idea if any of the team were 'real' footballers in uniform.

344 h.jpg

15 hours ago, House Bartender said:

A football team representing Scotland in Lamsdorf Prisoner or War Camp during WWII. (Camp 344 - an unlikely but attacking formation if ever I saw one).

Great pic and interesting to see how well kitted out they are. Would this have been something they rustled up themselves (those POWs were notoriously resourceful)  or perhaps received in some kind of aid package?

Guy second from the right in the middle row is Rick Mayall as Flasheart in Blackadder - oops, wrong war.

15 hours ago, House Bartender said:

344 h.jpg

Back row left is Paul Newman, middle row 2nd from left is Yogi Hughes, and the manager third from the right at the front is Walter Smith.

In all seriousness though, that's an astounding picture. The pride in those those lads is unmistakable.

1773927300_344h.thumb.jpg.1c97393853920b043eb2f3cdd5cc3093.jpg

Where’s Pele and Sly Stallone?

6 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Where’s Pele and Sly Stallone?

I don't know but the boy in the top bunk is John Wark...

The lad third from the left in the front row’s thinking about eating the photographer’s liver with a nice Chianti .......(slu-u-u-u-uurp !)

Jimmy Johnstone in action in what looks like a pre season friendly in a junior/amateur ground. I’m sure someone will know the details.

IMG_8370.jpg

Jimmy Johnstone in action in what looks like a pre season friendly in a junior/amateur ground. I’m sure someone will know the details.

IMG_8370.thumb.jpg.e93e890c3d3f9eade0bda56357804bbe.jpg
Just about took that seriously tbh

Looks like a match on an overseas pre-season tour to me. "I N" on the banner maybe Internazionale ?

Looks like a match on an overseas pre-season tour to me. "I N" on the banner maybe Internazionale ?

Obviously Celtic and their fans don’t mention it enough, need to up our game and get it out there.

1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:
3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Look at the physique of that defender! You can understand how they might just have underestimated Celtic - with wee Jimmy Johnstone, podgy Bobby Murdoch and bandy Bobby Lennox

Edited by Pet Jeden

Was just looking up Wiki for that ground, at first I thought it was Ardeer but then I settled on Lisbon. Apparently Scottish teams are undefeated there, Scotland drew 2-2 with Portugal in 1950.

16 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

IMG_8370.jpg

That is remarkable.

They must have positioned the TV cameras so it didn't look too shite, much like they do at Hamilton and Falkirk.

What was the crowd for that piddling wee fixture?

That is remarkable.
They must have positioned the TV cameras so it didn't look too shite, much like they do at Hamilton and Falkirk.
What was the crowd for that piddling wee fixture?

45k I believe. Imagine growing to watch your team in a European cup final and standing pitch side like a Sunday morning game. Weird stadium bu the looks of it.

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

45k I believe. Imagine growing to watch your team in a European cup final and standing pitch side like a Sunday morning game. Weird stadium bu the looks of it.

It really must have been an oddly configured stadium if it could accommodate a crowd like that, with a section like the one in the picture.

What does the place look like now?  Celtic fans still visit it, don't they?

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really must have been an oddly configured stadium if it could accommodate a crowd like that, with a section like the one in the picture.

What does the place look like now?  Celtic fans still visit it, don't they?

It's  much the same, it only ever gets used for the cup final I think.