A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You had to remind me, didn’t you! I’m pretty sure that it was Billy McNeill that kicked it off the line. 

Ach, well, we've made up for it since!

Mind you, that would have stopped Celtic's 9 in a row, Rangers wouldn't have had to use EBTs to win their own 9iar, they wouldn't have been liquidated, Celtic wouldn't currently be strolling to 10 in a row and a potential quadruple treble...

Oh, Arthur, how could you!

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Mind you, that would have stopped Celtic's 9 in a row, Rangers wouldn't have had to use EBTs to win their own 9iar, they wouldn't have been liquidated, Celtic wouldn't currently be strolling to 10 in a row and a potential quadruple treble...

Some of that’s good.......some not so much.

21 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

IMG_1287.thumb.jpg.1c43e48fe963cad646c9154c1a8c4024.jpg

I’m in there somewhere. Totally rammed terraces were OK as the exception though....

Does anyone know where I could find some footage of this match? I've looked for the past couple of years and can find nothing. The Drybrough Cup Final is on Red TV, but not this match which which was only about 4 months earlier. 

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Rangers' EBT use came after their 9 in a row.

I wasn't aware that Aberdeen had come so close to winning the league around then.  Was it really a decider between the two on the last day?

53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wasn't aware that Aberdeen had come so close to winning the league around then.  Was it really a decider between the two on the last day?

Not quite , but pretty close to it.  It was Aberdeen’s second last game and they went into it 3 points ahead of Celtic who had two games in hand and a better goal difference  ( 2 points for a win in those days)

If the Dons had beaten Celtic they’d have most likely still had to win their last game away to Falkirk to clinch the title.  So not a foregone conclusion , and indeed Falkirk won 1- nil.  Celtic got 5 points from their last 3 games.

Edited by A96
Correction about Celtic ‘s last 3 games

Didn't know about that game, before my time. It wasn't a decider but effectively so.

Looks like Aberdeen drew 1-1 with Celtic on 17 April and then lost 1-0 away to Falkirk on 24 April.

Celtic meanwhile drew 2-2 at Love Street on 27 April, beat Ayr United 2-0 on 29 April, and finally beat Clyde 6-1 on 1 May.

Celtic won the league by two points and with a better goal difference by 16.

Had Aberdeen won those last two games they would have 57 points, Celtic meanwhile could only have got to 56 points so Aberdeen would have won the league.

36,000 inside Pittodrie that day. Celtic scoring in 3rd minute, Aberdeen equalising in 38th. And amazingly it says on this article I've found that the capacity was restricted due to stand closure after the fire earlier in year.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Didn't know about that game, before my time. It wasn't a decider but effectively so.

Looks like Aberdeen drew 1-1 with Celtic on 17 April and then lost 1-0 away to Falkirk on 24 April.

Celtic meanwhile drew 2-2 at Love Street on 27 April, beat Ayr United 2-0 on 29 April, and finally beat Clyde 6-1 on 1 May.

Had Aberdeen won those last two games they would have 57 points, Celtic meanwhile could only have got to 56 points so Aberdeen would have won the league.

36,000 inside Pittodrie that day. Celtic scoring in 3rd minute, Aberdeen equalising in 38th. And amazingly it says on this article I've found that the capacity was restricted due to stand closure after the fire earlier in year.

Although we lost the last game against Falkirk, the players were on a real downer after not beating Celtic the week before. Given Aberdeen’s form that season, if we had had to beat Falkirk to win the league we would have. There would have been a few hundred more tickets available for the Celtic match but for the tunnel end of the Main Stand being destroyed by a fire a couple of months earlier.

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Although we lost the last game against Falkirk, the players were on a real downer after not beating Celtic the week before. Given Aberdeen’s form that season, if we had had to beat Falkirk to win the league we would have. There would have been a few hundred more tickets available for the Celtic match but for the tunnel end of the Main Stand being destroyed by a fire a couple of months earlier.

If your Auntie had baws she'd be your Uncle.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

celtic won the league that night and relegated st mirren at the same time.saints were ahead twice with 2 goals from ally mcleod but goals from harry hood and bobby lennox gave celtic the point they needed.

GW1053H519.jpeg.jpg

GW1034H634.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

celtic won the league that night and relegated st mirren at the same time.saints were ahead twice with 2 goals from ally mcleod but goals from harry hood and bobby lennox gave celtic the point they needed.

GW1053H519.jpeg.jpg

GW1034H634.jpeg.jpg

A one-legged goalkeeper,  very rare nowadays.

5 hours ago, boomboomyards said:

A one-legged goalkeeper,  very rare nowadays.

You seen Connaghan play?

I was at the Airdrie v Celtic game when he attempted to throw the ball out, but threw it over his own shoulder in to the net.

https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-keeper-denis-connaghans-incredible-own-goal/

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

An excerpt from the Glasgow Herald on Monday 12th April 1948. Celtic had just lost to Third Lanark and as a result were in serious danger of relegation when they went into their final game of the season at Dens Park. They went 2-1 behind on the hour mark, but ended up winning 3-2.

Had they lost, they would have finished their season and would have been 3 points clear of Airdrie (who had 3 games in hand) and ahead of Queen of the South (with 1 game in hand) only on goal average.

1976657756_ScreenShot2019-11-22at10_48_11.thumb.png.39ecab09871b4a68aad36c15fbc95639.png

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

An excerpt from the Glasgow Herald on Monday 12th April 1948. Celtic had just lost to Third Lanark and as a result were in serious danger of relegation when they went into their final game of the season at Dens Park. They went 2-1 behind on the hour mark, but ended up winning 3-2.

Had they lost, they would have finished their season and would have been 3 points clear of Airdrie (who had 3 games in hand) and ahead of Queen of the South (with 1 game in hand) only on goal average.

1976657756_ScreenShot2019-11-22at10_48_11.thumb.png.39ecab09871b4a68aad36c15fbc95639.png

What was the story of Celtic's season that saw them in such trouble?