A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

51 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was still at school so it was only a tenner which seemed heavy

It turned out to be great value

£20/£10 then is just short of £50/£25 now so it was about as expensive as a cup final but it’s the only UEFA cup quarter final ticket I’ll ever have to pay for.

There was something going on with the match programme too I remember. It was on sale for ages before the game with a big prize. The modern studies teacher at our school won it, My memory wants to say it was a Ford Sierra but it might even have been a house 😂

15 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:14, tamthebam said:
1637305031_SpectatorsataHeartsfootballmatchinEdinburgh1955.jpg.38f6e8622dac06cd74adeff8374df4d3.jpg
Fans at Tynecastle, 1950s. 

I watched Hearts v Bayern Munich from the window of one of those tenements in 1989 as my friend's dad was a solicitor and his firm were selling one of the flats at the time. Walnut Mercenary was charging the unheard of ticket price of 20 nicker to watch the game.

Jings! Crivvens! 20 quid to watch Hearts, who'd have thought it?! 

To put the £20 price tag in perspective, I remember my ticket for the Scottish Cup final 2 years later being £7. Admittedly we were playing Dundee United rather than Bayern Munich.

Nice story but not true. I bought the best tickets available for the Bayern Munich game that night,  Centre Stand tickets and they cost £15 for an adult.  

Here's a terracing ticket.

Image result for hearts bayern munich ticket

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

When did the standard 1930 kick off time become the now-ubiquitous 1945?

Mid to late 90's?

Probably whenever more games were televised as they fit in to the schedules better (presumably).

When did the standard 1930 kick off time become the now-ubiquitous 1945?
Mid to late 90's?
When I started going to midweek games in the late 80s, they were usually 7.30 kick-off except if the opponents had quite a distance to travel. Most games at East End were therefore 7.30 starts except when we played Queen of the South, Berwick Rangers, Ayr United or whomever. Can't recall exactly when they all started going to 7.45 but I'm not sure it was all down to TV for once.

Kick-off times have fluctuated quite a lot over the years for a variety of reasons. Obviously in the days before floodlights, we couldn't have 3pm kick-offs in the winter (much like they still don't in non-league football), so games kicked off at all sorts of times.

The brilliant London Hearts website has a ton of information about their games, including some kick-off times. For example, in the 1952/53 season that I linked, their league games kicked off at 3pm until the end of October, then 2:45pm for a bit of November, then 2:30pm, then 2:15pm then 2pm, before building back up to 3pm by the end of January. There were also midweek games at 6:45pm, 7pm and 7:15pm in that era.

It seems like even long after floodlights were in place, there were still 2pm kick-offs in the winter. For example, here's a programme from a game at Tynecastle in 1973.

1973112401%20Falkirk%202-1%20Tynecastle.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It seems like even long after floodlights were in place, there were still 2pm kick-offs in the winter. For example, here's a programme from a game at Tynecastle in 1973.

That was probably because of power restrictions during the miners strike 

54 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Kick-off times have fluctuated quite a lot over the years for a variety of reasons. Obviously in the days before floodlights, we couldn't have 3pm kick-offs in the winter (much like they still don't in non-league football), so games kicked off at all sorts of times.

The brilliant London Hearts website has a ton of information about their games, including some kick-off times. For example, in the 1952/53 season that I linked, their league games kicked off at 3pm until the end of October, then 2:45pm for a bit of November, then 2:30pm, then 2:15pm then 2pm, before building back up to 3pm by the end of January. There were also midweek games at 6:45pm, 7pm and 7:15pm in that era.

1973112401%20Falkirk%202-1%20Tynecastle.

I don't doubt your general point, but I notice that Scotland had a rugby international on that date so that might have had something to do with that particular KO time. The reason that occurred to me is we once turned up at Tynecastle to find nothing happening so we just walked round to watch Scotland at Murrayfield. Can't remember if we paid at the gate or sneaked in.

I don't doubt your general point, but I notice that Scotland had a rugby international on that date so that might have had something to do with that particular KO time. The reason that occurred to me is we once turned up at Tynecastle to find nothing happening so we just walked round to watch Scotland at Murrayfield. Can't remember if we paid at the gate or sneaked in.

No idea what time the rugby game started but I’m sure they didn’t have floodlights at Murrayfield back in 1973. Just had a look at the London Hearts site for games that day and I was at the Dundee 1 Dunfermline 5 game which was also an early kick-off. Only 3,565 and the Hearts game only 6,264 turned up. A few days earlier Dundee United met Falkirk in a League game originally abandoned earlier in the month. The game was replayed on a Wednesday afternoon and only 1,302 turned up.

14 hours ago, Eednud said:

That was probably because of power restrictions during the miners strike 

Yip.  Most games that winter were early kick offs. Three day week, TV restrictions. power on for three hours then off for three hours meant floodlights wernt used. 

What’s this then ?...... a team for a testimonial or something like that ?
Back row L-R ........the two foreigners who were the referees on the international versions of It’s a Knockout ;Eusebio ; ????; Dave McKay; Tommy Gemmell; Norman Hunter; Martin Peters; Jimmy Greaves ; Jack Taylor (ref);  Rodney Marsh ?
Front row ...... the only one I think I know is Jimmy Johnstone on the extreme left.

Ted Mcdougall , front row, 2nd from right

18 hours ago, Eednud said:

No idea what time the rugby game started but I’m sure they didn’t have floodlights at Murrayfield back in 1973. Just had a look at the London Hearts site for games that day and I was at the Dundee 1 Dunfermline 5 game which was also an early kick-off. Only 3,565 and the Hearts game only 6,264 turned up. A few days earlier Dundee United met Falkirk in a League game originally abandoned earlier in the month. The game was replayed on a Wednesday afternoon and only 1,302 turned up.

Aye, but Dundee United and Falkirk...