A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Always liked that Hibs and Celtc never bothered with away strips when playing each other.

When did the authorities decide this wasn't on anymore?

When clubs decided to use away kits as often as possible so they can sell more is the answer you are looking for. 

21 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Definitely? Sure you're not thinking of this?

2093.jpg

The first yellow Hibs strip didn't come about until 1998.

Nope.  

It was yellow with green trim.  I know because I owned one for some reason.  I think it was made by Umbro and may have been as late as 1982.

rochs19.thumb.jpg.f0fa6879b57e21132b4590cd8c1f4c27.jpg

Pat Bonner's laddie playing for the Ants (St Anthony's) against St Roch's in 2013 at Jimmy McGrory Park. Packy himself was watching from the terracing. 

Probably the last time I saw I really good, down to earth muddy encounter- snowflake refs would probably rule that pitch unplayable now so fair play to the whistler who allowed the game to go ahead that day;

rochs23.thumb.jpg.ca82d86fa34d3ec19de8458188eda560.jpg

2nd pic showing the soon to be demolished flats in the background and the soon to be demolished "Flying Pig" in goals! :lol:

Charlie Nicholas celebrates his opening goal at a rain soaked Hampden in Celtic's 2-1 win over Rangers in the League Cup final, December 1982. Davie Provan and Frank McGarvey in the picture too along with, I think, Ally Dawson, Craig Paterson and Jim Bett.

IMG_20180214_121437.jpg

On 10/02/2018 at 12:49, EdTheDuck said:

Yuh.

If ever a club demonstrates the potential pitfalls of the small leagues, it's Dundee. After their promotion from the B Division in 46/47 they had never seriously been threatened with relegation and in the 5 years before their relegation in 75/76 they had finished 5th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 6th, they won the League Cup in 72/73 and got to the last 16 of the UEFA Cup in 71/72.

Recovering from that relegation was a big enough job anyway, but the shenanigans at Dens Park since have just compounded their fall from grace.

On 10/02/2018 at 13:11, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, my dad's a Dundee fan and I knew they went down in the first season of the Premier division.  Dundee United survived narrowly and the clubs took very different paths in the following decade or so.

The first match I ever saw was Dundee drawing 2-2 at Palmerston in division 1, then the middle tier.  Soon after, we beat them 6-0 in the League Cup.  It's strange to think they were making significant European progress just ten years before.

There's no doubt Dundee coped badly with the re-organisation of the leagues from 75-76. I think going into the last day's fixture Dundee, Dundee United and Aberdeen could all have been relegated. Not sure what Aberdeen's result was, but United produced a shock 2-1 win at Ibrox to stay up. Back in August, Dundee Wilson Hoggan had scored the first goal of the season and new set up. 

Dundee's problems boiled down to boardroom and dressing room politics in the early 70s. Jim McLean had been an integral part of Dundee's late 60s and early 70s success, but was controversially overlooked for the Manager's job when it came up. I think Davie White got it instead, McLean went to United, and although White won the League Cup the decline would set in pretty quickly. Following the win in 1973, a few of the players went to McLean's house to celebrate, White took it as a personal slight, and within 2-3 years, all the players involved had been punted, including the prolific Jocky Scott. 

Dundee's problems since then have largely been down to boardroom fuckwittery. The Gellatly's were tight arses, Angus Cook was both mental and a crook, Ron Dixon was bonkers and lost interest, The Marrs' business planning was fucking nuts, Calum Melville was a fantasist, we had the fans running it for a while before handing over control to Nelms etc. Indeed, our current board are probably the most stable we've had since the early 80s. 

25 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but it wouldn’t happen nowadays. Dundee v Aberdeen at Dens Park on New Year’s Day 1936. Result was a 2-2 draw and crowd given as 21,000. 

09406602-CCEC-4B54-98DE-7C81F233CF40.jpeg

I'm sure that pic was an Absolute Game cover once with a speech bubble from the crowd "Aye, try to float it over to the far post"..

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but it wouldn’t happen nowadays. Dundee v Aberdeen at Dens Park on New Year’s Day 1936. Result was a 2-2 draw and crowd given as 21,000. 

09406602-CCEC-4B54-98DE-7C81F233CF40.jpeg

Something similar happened in the 80's at Love Street when St Mirren were playing Aberdeen, when a large area surrounding the corner flag was completely covered in water.