A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I believe it is the Geoff Hurst Testimonial

Back row: 

Ron Spiers and Peter Allen (linesmen), Ferreira Eusebio (Portugal), Willi Schultz (West Germany), Dave Mackay (Scotland), Tommy Gemmell (Scotland), John Jackson (Crystal Palace), Geoff Hurst (England), Jimmy Greaves (England), Jack Taylor (referee), Rodney Marsh (England). 

Front row: 

Jimmy Johnstone (Scotland), Mike Docherty (Burnley), Uwe Seeler (West Germany), Antonio Simoes (Portugal), Ted McDougall (Bournemouth), Mordechai Spiegler (Israel).

Good knowledge , min !

Was indeed Hurt testimonial but as it’s international week...

Front row:

Jimmy Johnstone (Scotland), Mike Docherty (Burnley), Uwe Seeler (West Germany), Antonio Simoes (Portugal), Ted McDougall (Bournemouth), Mordechai Spiegler (Israel).

Many will remember Dick Advocaat for his mid 90’s Dutch revolution and influx of oranje in Scottish Football.

However, back in the late 80’s and early 90’s when Aberdeen were decent, Alex Smith had a thing for going Dutch.

Probably fairly easy but a green dot worth a hundred green dots awaits the first to name these four...

IMG_0342.thumb.jpg.da99429502efdee9b85c833526cdf03d.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg.197ea5c47243ac243c65ad2a8d6d00f5.jpg

IMG_0340.thumb.jpg.50f05ab096da657da8af4bd3f30b4309.jpg

IMG_0339.thumb.jpg.378841097b244d011cd54d1915999cbe.jpg

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Many will remember Dick Advocaat for his mid 90’s Dutch revolution and influx of oranje in Scottish Football.

However, back in the late 80’s and early 90’s when Aberdeen were decent, Alex Smith had a thing for going Dutch.

Probably fairly easy but a green dot worth a hundred green dots awaits the first to name these four...

It's a good post.  I just wanted to highlight the notion of Aberdonians 'going Dutch'.  No c**t is surprised.

A fantastic image I saw on a Celtic fans Facebook page recently of Jimmy Johnstone playing in Celtic's all green change kit in the late 60's at Celtic Park, I believe Morton are the opposition although happy to be corrected if necessary by an older poster.

IMG_20191018_173556.jpg

Theo Snelders
Peter Van De Ven
Hans Gillhaus ... what a player he was!
Willem Van Der Ark... what a fucking donkey he was!
There was another I'm sure from era you've missed out, Theo Ten Caat or some kind of crazy name I vaguely recall.

I did think of Theo Ten Caat but I think he might’ve arrived just as Alex Smith was heading out the door.

Funny you should be the man to reply whilst Alex Smith is part of the conversation. Turns out he was a Cowie native. (I knew he was a Falkirk man but not specifically Cowie).

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I did think of Theo Ten Caat but I think he might’ve arrived just as Alex Smith was heading out the door.

Funny you should be the man to reply whilst Alex Smith is part of the conversation. Turns out he was a Cowie native. (I knew he was a Falkirk man but not specifically Cowie).

Aye, the Smith's were all Cowie boys.

Alex's younger brother, John, a former Stirling Albion director and Scottish Football League chairman passed away last week, he was married to my cousin. 

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

A fantastic image I saw on a Celtic fans Facebook page recently of Jimmy Johnstone playing in Celtic's all green change kit in the late 60's at Celtic Park, I believe Morton are the opposition although happy to be corrected if necessary by an older poster.

IMG_20191018_173556.jpg

More like Raith Rovers as they played in that style kit during the 60's and possibly early 70's.

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Theo Snelders

Peter Van De Ven

Hans Gillhaus ... what a player he was!

Willem Van Der Ark... what a fucking donkey he was!

There was another I'm sure from era you've missed out, Theo Ten Caat or some kind of crazy name I vaguely recall.

Harsh ........or just ignorant ......to label Ooh Aah Van der Ark as a donkey. Most Dons fans old enough to remember will tell you that Alex Smith dropping him from the starting line up in the 1991 title decider at Ibrox  was a massive reason we lost that game.

Worth mentioning also that Paul Mason was signed from a  Dutch team , and I’d say he was a better player for us than any of the other outfield Dutch lads.

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

IMG_0342.thumb.jpg.da99429502efdee9b85c833526cdf03d.jpg

Excellent pic, however it's got me very confused indeed. The lettering on the background signs is all backwards, but Theo's goalie tap says JVC the correct way round? Absolute madness.

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's a good post.  I just wanted to highlight the notion of Aberdonians 'going Dutch'.  No c**t is surprised.

I’m surprised Aberdeen never brought out an Orange 3rd kit in celebration of their Dutch connections.

Excellent pic, however it's got me very confused indeed. The lettering on the background signs is all backwards, but Theo's goalie tap says JVC the correct way round? Absolute madness.

?gniknird neeb ouy evaH

EDIT - I remember when I wee a Hearts programme cover where the picture had been inverted so the shed appeared back to front. My dad had to explain the technical wizardry to me.