Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I think you're right. Almost certain it was before the England game at Hampden in 1968. It was in February, which explains the snow on the hills. One of the forwards must have dropped out because I remember John Hughes scoring. Their goal came from a defensive howler.

Alan Gilzean had an injury and was replaced by John Hughes. Game was played in February as the British Home Championship doubled up as a qualifying group for the 1968 European Championship. The group stage had to be completed early as the first leg of the play-offs for 8 group winners wee scheduled for early April.

21 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1568638659435.jpg

The row with the ref at the end ............ "For auld Lang syne , my dear, for auld lang syne ......"

And is that a young Freddie Mercury sans moustache between Jardine and Stanton?

🎶

Edited by A96

On 12/09/2019 at 23:58, Drew Brees said:

UEFA U18 European Champions 198269992228_10220662361295847_1343496857162088448_n.jpeg

Back Row: Jim Dobbin, Ally Dick, Dave Beaumont, David Rennie, Robin Rae, Brian Rice, Billy Livingstone, Gary Mackay, Ian Westwater
Front Row: Sammy McGivern, Jim McInally, Gary McGinnis, John Philliben, Paul McStay, Dave Bowman, Pat Nevin.

And here's head coach Andy Roxburgh being hoisted aloft with the trophy...

_96246854_roxburgh.jpg

5 hours ago, IggyStooge said:

Back Row: Jim Dobbin, Ally Dick, Dave Beaumont, David Rennie, Robin Rae, Brian Rice, Billy Livingstone, Gary Mackay, Ian Westwater
Front Row: Sammy McGivern, Jim McInally, Gary McGinnis, John Philliben, Paul McStay, Dave Bowman, Pat Nevin.

And here's head coach Andy Roxburgh being hoisted aloft with the trophy...

_96246854_roxburgh.jpg

Robin Rae was a bit of a lad by all accounts... 

After being released by Hibs he played in the Juniors (for Bonnyrigg among others) as a forward to good effect! 

Dave Bowman is the only ex-Meadowbank Thistle ballboy to be a European Champion- FACT! 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Robin Rae was a bit of a lad by all accounts... 

After being released by Hibs he played in the Juniors (for Bonnyrigg among others) as a forward to good effect! 

Basher!

Dave Bowman is the only ex-Meadowbank Thistle ballboy to be a European Champion- FACT! 

What European trophy did he win, like?

On 14/09/2019 at 12:57, sjc said:

Why was the Cup Final played on the 11th of April? Wasn't it always played in May as the final game of the season?

No, Scottish Cup Finals were quite often played when league games were on.

On 16/09/2019 at 07:52, Sergeant Wilson said:

What's that one all about then?

2 captains exchanging pennants before a euro tie.hardly rocket science.nice to see teams didnt change to away strips just for the hell of it.

1 hour ago, resk said:

European Under 18 Championships, highlighted a few posts above.

Some belters from the excellent PictureThis Scotland on twitter. A must-follow account.

7 hours ago, resk said:

UEFA U18 European Champions. Do try to keep up. 

He may also have won the Forfarshire Cup which Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and f*cking Liverpool have never won. 

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Sauchie boy Alan Hansen. 

FB_IMG_1568755309213.jpg

And this is Willie Miller.  Now get the fvck out of his way

AC61007C-4B5F-466D-B9B6-8565205D55D6.png

Edited by A96

On 16/09/2019 at 17:41, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1568638659435.jpg

I'm guessing this might be a line up for the long defunked Scottish League select, I think these games stopped in the late 70s. I'll have a bash at this being around 1974 judging by the kits. Is it Jim Cruickshank in the goal? Top row is Jardine, Hansen, Stanton and (I think) Wark. Middle row of Johnstone, Robinson and Dalgleish with McLean, Gray and Graham in the front.

Sadly Sandy Jardine and Bobby Robinson are no longer with us. 'Trigger' Robinson was an important part of a very good Dundee team in the early 70s and it was capped on a couple of occasions in the run up to the Germany World Cup. A real tragedy to lose him at such an early age

10 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Sadly Sandy Jardine and Bobby Robinson are no longer with us. 'Trigger' Robinson was an important part of a very good Dundee team in the early 70s and it was capped on a couple of occasions in the run up to the Germany World Cup. A real tragedy to lose him at such an early age

Wark’s gone. Cruickshank’s away too, 2010. If it is him. According to wiki his last appearance for the SL XI was 1970.

Think the ref is Ian Foote. Pan breid too, obvs.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Wark’s gone. Cruickshank’s away too, 2010. If it is him. According to wiki his last appearance for the SL XI was 1970.

Think the ref is Ian Foote. Pan breid too, obvs.

That is definitely Cruiky.

I've got more on my blog post (here) but a United fan has contacted me asking to publish many different photos from the 1987 UEFA Cup season and the way trips made by the fans. The first set I've been sent are of a 'friendly' between United staff and journalists pre-UEFA Cup Final first leg.

Archie's hair...

dundee-united-gothenburg-press-match3l.jpg

dundee-united-gothenburg-press-match2l.jpg