A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Saw this image on Facebook earlier, England v Scotland at Wembley some time in the 1950's, I'm pretty sure Billy Wright is the England skipper, I think but not 100% sure the Scotland captain may be Bobby Shearer of Rangers?

FB_IMG_1568301661473.jpg

George Young.

The was four days after Aberdeen beat Celtic 3.1 in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final, which my first time in Glasgow, never mind Hampden. 108,000 on the Saturday in Hampden and 136,500  on the Wednesday.

and 10 days later 137,438 were there for 0-0 against England. 

Doesn’t bare thinking the amount of loose change needed counting after those three fixtures. There would’ve been a fleet of security vans leaving Hampden.

16 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Doesn’t bare thinking the amount of loose change needed counting after those three fixtures. There would’ve been a fleet of security vans leaving Hampden.

Hate to be pedantic, but all those matches were all ticket, I’m pretty sure. Certainly the Aberdeen v Celtic and Scotland v England games were, as my dad got me tickets for both. 

27 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

and that was just the change in the turnstile operators pockets.tickets weren't always needed,there was always a turnstile scam on the go in these days.makes you wonder how many people were actually in the stadium.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Apparently Scotland's only piece of major silverware at any level.  Wasn't really aware of it, article on it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40076061

Top left Andy Roxburgh.

Bottom right working towards the middle: Pat Nevin, Colin Hendry, Paul McStay ??

Definitely not Colin Hendry between McStay and Nevin. Pretty sure it’s Dave Bowman.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

I’ve got the 1967 one, like that but white collar & cuffs. What a lot of the young guys won’t understand is that they were knitted so it’s like wearing a sweatshirt and got all sweaty & baggy.

Yes, I've got one of those and a Queens one of similar vintage.  I made the mistake of wearing it to play fives once.

On 13/09/2019 at 15:44, kingjoey said:

The was four days after Aberdeen beat Celtic 3.1 in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final, which my first time in Glasgow, never mind Hampden. 108,000 on the Saturday in Hampden and 136,500  on the Wednesday.

On 13/09/2019 at 16:56, Eednud said:

and 10 days later 137,438 were there for 0-0 against England. 

Why was the Cup Final played on the 11th of April? Wasn't it always played in May as the final game of the season?