Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Absolutely scary seeing all those people perched on the top of a stand roof. Could you imagine it these days? Up there with flares, military grade detonators, Palestinian flags and huge banners threatening the BoD if they fcuk up 10 in a row. Carnage.

9 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

I believe it is, seen a pic before of jock stein on the pitch with the fans on the roof in the background

Cheers.

8 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Yes it is.  Celtic won their third title during our 9IAR on that day.  East End Park's record attendance of just under 28,000 with another 20,000 lock out. 

Cheers. (Reprise)

11 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Yes it is.  Celtic won their third title during our 9IAR on that day.  East End Park's record attendance of just under 28,000 with another 20,000 lock out. 

Game was played in the midweek after Dunfermline won the SC in 1968 , the title was already assured for Celtic and Dunfermline paraded the Cup pre-match. There's a pic of Roy Barry , with the cup , and Billy McNeil , leading the teams out with their arms over each others shoulders !

7 minutes ago, billyg said:

Game was played in the midweek after Dunfermline won the SC in 1968 , the title was already assured for Celtic and Dunfermline paraded the Cup pre-match. There's a pic of Roy Barry , with the cup , and Billy McNeil , leading the teams out with their arms over each others shoulders !

I remember it very hazily  from the telly and all those bodies climbing up the pylons. Can't remember if it was on the late news or more likely, a midweek edition of Sportscene/Scotsport. Celtic were level on points with Rangers but had a much better goal average. Rangers had almost gone through the season undefeated until they lost in the last minute of the last game, 2-3 v Aberdeen at Ibrox (played at the same time as the Cup Final). It was two points for a win back then so Celtic took the title by 2 points.

With a Scotland double header approaching here's a flash back to Alan Hansen taking the piss out of the Brazilian legend Socrates during the 1982 World Cup....I can't recall the final score :whistle

22331_2.jpg

Edited by The_Judge

Ayr United saving printing costs by printing one programme to cover four games (2012)

Image result for dick malone ayr

Soon to be ex-QOTS boss Allan Johnston scores for Sunderland in 1998.

Allan Johnston celebrates

John Baird scores to put Airdrie United 2-0 up in the Playoff Final at Somerset in 2009. Ayr came back to win 3-2 on aggregate.

PICT1098.JPG

Main Stand at Somerset before the addition of the Family Stand.

Image result for somerset park ayr

Scotland line up against Estonia in 1996...

Image result for estonia v scotland

Hampden as construction gets underway on the South Stand

ham3.jpg

Easter Road with Arthur's Seat in the background

easterrd.jpg

21 minutes ago, GloryHole said:

I can't recall him taking the piss out of anyone at that world cup..apart from himself.

Willie Miller?

Celtic fans escaping a crush at the City Ground, Nottingham Forest v Celtic, UEFA Cup, November 1983.

A gate opened just in time prevented fatalities according to eyewitnesses, scenes eerily similar to the tragic events that would unfold in Sheffield six years later. 

FB_IMG_1567615179316.jpg

2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Hampden as construction gets underway on the South Stand

ham3.jpg

Easter Road with Arthur's Seat in the background

easterrd.jpg

Hard to beat a Mantis pic 😉

The Easter Road one was December 93: Hibs 5 Thistle 1.

The Hampden one was QP v ICT, March 97. The day the “let’s all do the Tokely” chant was born. Before all the St Mirren fans pile in, it was just a goal celebration, not the customary assault. I tried to get a photo looking back the way from the gap site, but the jobsworth wouldn’t let me through the dirty muckle fence.

7 hours ago, The_Judge said:

With a Scotland double header approaching here's a flash back to Alan Hansen taking the piss out of the Brazilian legend Socrates during the 1982 World Cup....I can't recall the final score :whistle

22331_2.jpg

Another one I was at. Great Scotland team, but I think the Brazilians we watched playing football outside would have beat them. Maybe not 4-1.

queens-park-and-scotland-hampden-park-so

An excellent picture of the old meeting the new at Hampden in 1993

Edit: looking at Mantis's picture from the previous page, you can see why they never put seats into the concrete gap in the new east stand as the side/roof of the old main stand would have obscured the view of the pitch. The top of that section of the new east stand was subsequently built over to become part of the top tier of the modern south stand.

Edited by Andy_K_97

5 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

An excellent picture of the old meeting the new at Hampden in 1993

Edit: looking at Mantis's picture from the previous page, you can see why they never put seats into the concrete gap in the new east stand as the side/roof of the old main stand would have obscured the view of the pitch. The top of that section of the new east stand was subsequently built over to become part of the top tier of the modern south stand.

Furthermore, here 's almost the exact same view from a similar spot a few years prior to this with the terraces still intact. I realise I've gone about this in the wrong order, but I do like looking at the differences between the two pictures anyway.

14 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Hard to beat a Mantis pic 😉

The Easter Road one was December 93: Hibs 5 Thistle 1.

The Hampden one was QP v ICT, March 97. The day the “let’s all do the Tokely” chant was born. Before all the St Mirren fans pile in, it was just a goal celebration, not the customary assault. I tried to get a photo looking back the way from the gap site, but the jobsworth wouldn’t let me through the dirty muckle fence.

I was at the QP v ICT game you mention.  It was Tokely's 18th birthday that day and he scored the winner I believe.

I was also sat very close to where, 18 years later, James Vincent scored the winner in the same goal to win ICT the Scottish Cup.

On 25/08/2019 at 11:26, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The days when an enormous pipe band would march up and down Hampden before the game.

I remember Pat Nevin dribbling through the lines of pipers and drummers in the warm-up. Beats some half-assed cheerleaders any day.