A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 09/08/2019 at 14:50, Flybhoy said:

Tom Callaghan on the left, before my time but I actually remember his son who played for Stirling Albion in the 1990's and is the spit of him.

Can't place the player on the right but I'm going to kick myself as soon as you tell me, unless it's Charlie Gallagher who it looks a bit like, not sure if he played for Dunfermline?

Its his brother Willie.

On 01/08/2019 at 01:28, Stan Butler Says said:

I was also at the Man U match and don’t think Jackie Campbell played , must have been injured. My guess the Thistle player is right back Brian Ralston. Afraid your memory’s all over the place about Jackie’s testimonial in 1980 , I was at that too and it was a Jackie Campbell Select v 1971 League Cup Winners. I have a memory that Hercules The Bear was due to “play” in that game, but to our disappointment Hercules never left a big van parked behind the goals at the Ruchill Park end. Probably would have been carnage if he had played I suppose! I can’t recall West Brom playing at Firhill, maybe you are thinking of a young Laurie Cunningham with Orient in an Anglo-Scottish Cup tie.

You are right re JC's testomonial. Better get some memory pills or not post after a few beers, but I still keep thinking that we played WBA sometime in late 70s / early 80s. (pre season friendly ??) Def wasnt the Orient match, they beat us both home and away and as you said Laurie Cunningham ran us ragged supported by an even younger John Chiedozie, probably first black players I saw at the home of football

On 09/08/2019 at 22:03, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Putting my serious hat back on, here's a nice one for the sheepies.

IMG_20190803_184811.thumb.jpg.e66222e6842fced24709f790bfbaf6e5.jpg

That's some trio of keepers to have on your books at the same time.

3 hours ago, Dubai Jag said:

You are right re JC's testomonial. Better get some memory pills or not post after a few beers, but I still keep thinking that we played WBA sometime in late 70s / early 80s. (pre season friendly ??) Def wasnt the Orient match, they beat us both home and away and as you said Laurie Cunningham ran us ragged supported by an even younger John Chiedozie, probably first black players I saw at the home of football

We did play Coventry at Firhill in a friendly early 80s.

souness-flag.jpg&sp=69d246d2f3e97cdeab43

Graham Souness planting a Galtasaray flag in the centre circle after beating arch rivals Fenerbache in the 1996 Turkish Cup final on Fenerbahche's own patch. The backstory is that Fenerbache's vice president of the time had called Souness a 'cripple of a manager' when he joined Galatasaray. The incident in question nearly sparked a riot & despite only being with the club one season & finishing a distant 4th in the league Souness is forever revered by Galatasaray fans earning the nickname 'Ulubatli Souness' in reference to Turkish hero Ulubatli Hassan who was killed planting the Ottoman flag during the siege of Constantinople of 1453.

Renf0012.JPG

Dunlopmemorial.JPG

Impressive gravestone of James Dunlop in the Woodside burial ground, Paisley. One of football's more unusual fatalities, he fell in a New Year Day friendly v Abercorn in 1892 and gashed his knee on a shard of glass from a bottle thrown on the park. He developed tetanus and died after lingering a few days.

Two years prior he told the press "I will live and die a Saint". He did.

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Renf0012.JPG

Dunlopmemorial.JPG

Impressive gravestone of James Dunlop in the Woodside burial ground, Paisley. One of football's more unusual fatalities, he fell in a New Year Day friendly v Abercorn in 1892 and gashed his knee on a shard of glass from a bottle thrown on the park. He developed tetanus and died after lingering a few days.

Two years prior he told the press "I will live and die a Saint". He did.

It's worth remembering that in those pre-pencillin and pre-NHS days football could be a matter of life or death. I've read club histories of benefit matches being played for players' families when the player in question had died of pneumonia and the like. I saw a picture of a gravestone fairly recently erected in the memory of a Leith Athletic player who died after a game. 

It's nice when clubs remember players from 100+ years ago and help with the upkeep of gravestones. I know there was a project by Rangers fans to do this but are other clubs fans involved in such projects?  

10 hours ago, Puffinmuncher said:

Charlie Nicholas on the cover of Scottish Football Today in July 1987

IMG_2676.jpg

Pretty sure I had that actual issue, probably in a box with all my football programmes in my parents attic.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's worth remembering that in those pre-pencillin and pre-NHS days football could be a matter of life or death. I've read club histories of benefit matches being played for players' families when the player in question had died of pneumonia and the like. I saw a picture of a gravestone fairly recently erected in the memory of a Leith Athletic player who died after a game. 

It's nice when clubs remember players from 100+ years ago and help with the upkeep of gravestones. I know there was a project by Rangers fans to do this but are other clubs fans involved in such projects?  

There is a fans group called the 'Celtic graves society' was doing something of that ilk for a while a year or two ago. 

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Some squad that, the last one I'd estimate where we had genuine world class players in it.

IMG_20190812_144217.jpg

They all look hard as f*ck in those photos as well, even wee Gord. Apart from Archibald who just looks pished. 

13 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

1933146247_StirlingAlbion1Celtic3.cupquarterfinal.58-59.thumb.jpg.c440114f25b0b25f4bcc83d42a61c763.jpg

It's season 58-59 and that pitch is definitely playable....!

Annfield House in the background, still there to this day. That was originally where the changing rooms, offices etc of Stirling Albion were until the 1970's when a new building was built adjoining the ground and the old mansion house was left to rot.

Ironically when the ground was sold and flattened for new housing in 1992, Annfield House (I'm sure it was a listed building hence why it wasn't flattened) was gutted and renovated and is now an old folks home.

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Annfield House in the background, still there to this day. That was originally where the changing rooms, offices etc of Stirling Albion were until the 1970's when a new building was built adjoining the ground and the old mansion house was left to rot.

Ironically when the ground was sold and flattened for new housing in 1992, Annfield House (I'm sure it was a listed building hence why it wasn't flattened) was gutted and renovated and is now an old folks home.

annfield.thumb.jpg.67fcdf3958856bcf7a103d58aeb739b5.jpg

Annfield was my first away trip- Stirling 3 Meadowbank 1 in May 1987. Thistle actually got promoted that day as results elsewhere were favourable to them. That game was also the last game on grass at Annfield. The horrible plastic pitch went in after that. 

This is a photo I took a couple of years ago- Annfield House is in the background.