A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

200999556_mckennapark.thumb.jpg.4bcef89d0624752050480943fe91a4e8.jpg

Probably should be "A photographic history of Glasgow" for this pish but this is St Anthony's Juniors at McKenna Park with the new Queen Elizabeth University hospital being built in the background. 

A team wearing Dundee shirts knocks Dundee United out of the Cup.  11th February 1961 Scottish Cup 2nd Round United lost 0-1 at home to St Mirren. United played in white with 2 black hoops back then so colour clash in Cup meant both sides had to change. Problem was the Saints kit man only packed their home kit so they borrowed a set of Dundee shirts.  On the same day over the road Dundee lost 1-5 to Rangers. 10,500 at Tannadice and 32,000 at Dens. Also the same day Hibs beat Peebles Rovers 15-1 with Joe Baker scoring 9.

ETA: pic from Arab Archive

B5E7A3A6-233F-440C-B7A3-8770B4B9D951.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

33 minutes ago, Eednud said:

A team wearing Dundee shirts knocks Dundee United out of the Cup.  11th February 1961 Scottish Cup 2nd Round United lost 0-1 at home to St Mirren. United played in white with 2 black hoops back then so colour clash in Cup meant both sides had to change. Problem was the Saints kit man only packed their home kit so they borrowed a set of Dundee shirts.  On the same day over the road Dundee lost 1-5 to Rangers. 10,500 at Tannadice and 32,000 at Dens. Also the same day Hibs beat Peebles Rovers 15-1 with Joe Baker scoring 9.

The Evening Times East Fife v Thistle report that day including scores scorers and crowds.

GW920H2432.jpg

14 hours ago, Eednud said:

Joe Baker, who was born in England as his old man was in the Forces at the time and so had to play for England rather than Scotland in those days, got 9 against Peebles. But his brother Gerry had scored 10 for St Mirren against Glasgow University the year before in a 15-0 win.

My pal's dad was at the 15-1 Hibs game. I'm sure legendary Peebles man Maurice Gordon told me he was there too! 

16 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Joe Baker, who was born in England as his old man was in the Forces at the time and so had to play for England rather than Scotland in those days, got 9 against Peebles. But his brother Gerry had scored 10 for St Mirren against Glasgow University the year before in a 15-0 win.

My pal's dad was at the 15-1 Hibs game. I'm sure legendary Peebles man Maurice Gordon told me he was there too! 

His brother Gerry was capped for Canada I think.

Paul Lambert tackles Andreas Moller, Borussia Dortmund v Motherwell in 1994.

Older posters like me will recall the Steelmen were desperately unlucky to lose the first leg 1-0 in Germany, Tommy Coyne blew a couple of sitters I vaguely remember, hopes were reasonably high they could turn it around at Fir Park in the return leg based on that but the German side were quite comfortable for their 2-0 win, seem to recall it kicked off at 3.00 or something on a weekday afternoon so Motherwell could pocket a hefty cheque from a German TV station, back in the days before UEFA set kick off times to suit their universal TV stations and the tournaments had their set sponsorship firms as well, bizarre to think that Motherwell ran Borussia Dortmund close, around the same time Raith Rovers gave Bayern Munich a fright, no disrespect intended to either club but the gap between the top 20 or so in Europe and the provincial leagues like Scotland, Denmark, Austria etc makes the likelihood of such an occurrence these days the stuff of fantasy. 

TV companies would tell you SKY, the advent of the EPL, the Champions League and its associated riches etc have transformed the game for the better, many who pine for days like this in the relatively recent memory would beg to differ. 

FB_IMG_1564767504219.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

Paul Lambert tackles Andreas Moller, Borussia Dortmund v Motherwell in 1994.
Older posters like me will recall the Steelmen were desperately unlucky to lose the first leg 1-0 in Germany, Tommy Coyne blew a couple of sitters I vaguely remember, hopes were reasonably high they could turn it around at Fir Park in the return leg based on that but the German side were quite comfortable for their 2-0 win, seem to recall it kicked off at 3.00 or something on a weekday afternoon so Motherwell could pocket a hefty cheque from a German TV station, back in the days before UEFA set kick off times to suit their universal TV stations and the tournaments had their set sponsorship firms as well, bizarre to think that Motherwell ran Borussia Dortmund close, around the same time Raith Rovers gave Bayern Munich a fright, no disrespect intended to either club but the gap between the top 20 or so in Europe and the provincial leagues like Scotland, Denmark, Austria etc makes the likelihood of such an occurrence these days the stuff of fantasy. 
TV companies would tell you SKY, the advent of the EPL, the Champions League and its associated riches etc have transformed the game for the better, many who pine for days like this in the relatively recent memory would beg to differ. 
FB_IMG_1564767504219.jpg.3e3d8bfa35f8af8aea5b30d652c9a39e.jpg
Flora Tallinn from Estonia just lost 4-2 on aggregate to Eintracht Frankfurt, having been in the tie until after half time in the second leg.

What’s happening at Tynie?
LA Philharmonic Orchestra opening the international festival with movie classics - Jaws, ET, Cassablanca, Vertigo, Pink Panther, Star Wars, Superman etc. It was brilliant.

15,000 free tickets, sold out within an hour of going online. Massive privilege to see music like that.

Tynecastle was a great venue too, looked really smart and even the seagulls were on good behaviour.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

LA Philharmonic Orchestra opening the international festival with movie classics - Jaws, ET, Cassablanca, Vertigo, Pink Panther, Star Wars, Superman etc. It was brilliant.

15,000 free tickets, sold out within an hour of going online. Massive privilege to see music like that.

Tynecastle was a great venue too, looked really smart and even the seagulls were on good behaviour.

Did they play in tribute to Levein's tactics the old Phil Collins hit "In the air tonight"....?

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It’s Edinburgh, my dear man. Even our seagulls are cultured.