A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 25/07/2019 at 06:02, kingjoey said:

It was actually Wednesday February 11th 1970, as the original Scottish Cup tie had been postponed on the Saturday. Aberdeen were booed off the park for an abysmal performance, although winning the match 2.1. Exactly two months later on 11th April, Martin Buchan was holding the Scottish Cup above his head at Hampden. The strip, nicknamed our Candy Stripe strip, was only worn on a couple of occasions and it came a season before the all blue one, which I really liked.

We wore the blue and white stripes because, for some obscure reason, the ref decided that the red diagonal stripe on the Clydebank kit was a clash with the all red.  Our away kit was unsuitable so we had to borrow a kit from a Junior side, possibly Lewis United, as a one-off.  The candy stripe kit, which we wore in the mid sixties was a light blue with two red and white stripes.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Yep, pretty sure Super Ally got a red card in that same match for a right hook to Gordon Rae as well. 

Super Ally should have been off. 

We also got fined £1000 at the time. 

58 minutes ago, EdmontonDandy said:

We wore the blue and white stripes because, for some obscure reason, the ref decided that the red diagonal stripe on the Clydebank kit was a clash with the all red.  Our away kit was unsuitable so we had to borrow a kit from a Junior side, possibly Lewis United, as a one-off.  The candy stripe kit, which we wore in the mid sixties was a light blue with two red and white stripes.

Used to wear that against Hearts and ..er..that's it. (Possibly Third Lanark, I never saw The Dons play against Thirds.)

1 hour ago, EdmontonDandy said:

I’m utterly ashamed that I didn’t know that. I thought that I knew everything from around 1963 onwards, and quite a bit from before that as well.

5 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Super Ally should have been off. 

We also got fined £1000 at the time. 

Mickey Weir steaming into the rammy there like a wee mental radge!

I used to think Kano had a bad haircut at that time but hindsight has not done anything for the mullets sported by some of the players there... 

George Best of Man Utd  in action v Partick Thistle in a testimonial match at Firhill in 1973, unsure of the Jags player honoured but I'm sure this was the year United were relegated. 
FB_IMG_1563915885792.jpg.311e2d565dc6172b585ccecd4f1c96ad.jpg
Found a photo with a caption, with the Thistle player named as "Rae". Alex Rae ? I was thinking more like Jackie Campbell (from my memory of him on my football cards).

13 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Scotland v Brasil Hampden June 1973......, SFA Centenary match 0-1 Big DJ own goal

f5b9292e51fb6f4d87c679851b0c1798.jpg

I was at that game and have absolutely no recollection that the Brazil goal was actually an own goal.  

All I remember was Brazil fans in the old North stand putting up letter cards spelling 'Brazil' and getting jeered for doing so. 

Edited by paul wright scores

JRP  Gordon should have been banned after the 1976 Scottish Cup semi final.  Motherwell 2-0 up. Rangers break up field and Derek Johnstone falls over and from 50 yards away Mr Gordon gives a penalty. Cue the fight back and Rangers win 3-2. Every  Motherwell fan of that vintage spits every time Gordon's name is mentioned.

22 minutes ago, neildrake said:

JRP  Gordon should have been banned after the 1976 Scottish Cup semi final.  Motherwell 2-0 up. Rangers break up field and Derek Johnstone falls over and from 50 yards away Mr Gordon gives a penalty. Cue the fight back and Rangers win 3-2. Every  Motherwell fan of that vintage spits every time Gordon's name is mentioned.

Hear! Hear! - Total bell end and not only thought to be a cheat, but found to have been one. Always wondered how much he got to swing that one. Should never have refereed again after that performance.

Thomson dived low to gather the ball as the Rangers striker raced in on goal, his momentum caused a collision which resulted in a severe head injury for the Celtic goalkeeper which, sadly he died from in hospital. 

Will you bury me under the shamrock...